Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've spoken to many people who had complications with VSG GERD reflux and slow weight loss..

Curious if anybody wish they choose RNY but for some reason insurance won't cover?

Have a friend in that position!

Why are doctors pushing VSG?

I'm 13 months post op. My acid reflux hasn't gotten better or worse. I would choose the VSG again.

I dealt with stomach pain before and am dealing with it now. Been on 6 weeks of protonix faithfully and no change. I have 3 more weeks to see a change and if not I'm going to do an endoscopy. I'm not sure if I regret the sleeve or not.

Also, I have only lost 2 pounds this month and am only 2 months out. I have however lost 45 pounds.

I'm not sure if I would do a revision or not. Maybe if it was the shortest bypass allowable. Not sure if that would help me or not?

Edited by gabybab

On 4/24/2019 at 9:04 AM, Mikeyy said:

I've spoken to many people who had complications with VSG GERD reflux and slow weight loss..

Curious if anybody wish they choose RNY but for some reason insurance won't cover?

Ultimately. Choose the type of surgery you want. Research take your Drs suggestion into consideration. Ask your insurance what types of surgery they cover. Have your friend go to an information seminar.

I know what the statistics say on each surgery. There are no absolute stats/results with any type of bariatric procedure. Some of lose slow and others lose fast. Sex, age, hormones, complications, medical issues, medications, genetics are factors on the rate you lose and how much you lose. The only part of Weight loss surgery that is in our control is how you work your plan.

We are all more than the statistics. I guess you can say I don’t fit the statistics/norm of a sleeve procedure. I lost fast. starting 254 to 140 in six months. I had no complications. I bounced back from surgery quickly. Five years out I maintain in the 130’s. Most people that are maintaining and doing well don’t stay on this site. Not many vets hang around. I’m not sure if people are getting a balanced look at WLS outcomes.

Revisions are done on all types of surgery for many reasons. I’m hoping to see an official revision thread. I would like to know why we are seeing so many revisions. I’m now talking to people that have had three surgeries.

For me absolutely no regret.

5 years.jpg

I actually had a failed bypass due to surgeon error. That was the worst mistake NOT making sure I had a surgeon who was right for me. Supposedly, the surgeon I had was top notch down here in Southern California, but he is an absolute quack!

Anyhow, my NEW surgeon opted me for VSG. I still wanted my bypass but thought of the benefits of VSG vs RNY. VSG has less Vitamin deficiency vs bypass patients. Yes, GERD CAN be a problem, but I haven't experienced any of that so far and I am 3 weeks post op. I feel great, less down time, and I would definitely do the VSG all over again vs RNY.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using BariatricPal mobile app

I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE REFLUX THAN THE WEIGHT I WAS AND THE DEPRESSION AND KNEE AND BACK PAIN TO THE POINT I DID NOT WANT TO DO ANYTHING VSG HAS GOT ME OFF ALL MED BLOODS PRESSURE AND I WAS PRE DIABETIC AND HEADING FOR DAILY SHOTS OF INSULIN IF I DID NOT CHANGE SO REGRET NO NOT ME I FEEL WAY MORE POSITIVE AND NOT IN PAIN ALL DAY AS I WAS DO I HAVE SOME ACID RE FLUX YES I DO I CAN DEAL WITH THAT THOUGH OVER THE ALTERNATIVE I WAS DEALING WITH FOR SURE JUST MY TWO AND HALF CENTS CHEERS EVERYONE

I'm only 2 months out but no regrets here. Sure I have had my days where I say to myself why did I do this. Then I remember I was on the road to diabetes, had high blood pressure, depressed, and in pain all the time. I'm still new to this so still working on the emotional part but everything else is gone. That is not to say this isn't hard, in fact this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using BariatricPal mobile app

On 4/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, Mikeyy said:

Glad you posted this! My doctor suggested RNY for that reason because so many "sleevers" have regrets and get revisions and don't have good results. But on this board i hear of many sleevers that have good results. I don't know if doctors are pushing the sleeve but consumers want the sleeve. I think it's an "easy" surgery. I'm still on the fence about the sleeve or RNY. My surgeon says I can think about it and will do either surgery.

Regrets? When I had my sleeve it was the correct surgery. After almost 5years I still have no regrets even with GERD. However, I need to move forward to bypass. It's has not been easy.
I would be either really sick or dead without my sleeve.

My GERD is horrible. I have to fight for the new procedure. I am willing to do whatever it takes for life long better health.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

So your sleeve was so good yet you still need BYPASS.. That's my point exactly, you had no issues and still need bypass...

That's why I'm helping people make the right choices rather than put their body through 2 surgeries and we all know the revision is never as good as a first operation...

But I wish you luck

34 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

So your sleeve was so good yet you still need BYPASS.. That's my point exactly, you had no issues and still need bypass...

That's why I'm helping people make the right choices rather than put their body through 2 surgeries and we all know the revision is never as good as a first operation...

But I wish you luck

Mikey please be kind! You are coming off as rude to Seattle lady.

No sorry was just making an observation..

I don’t think you were rude at all some people are very sensitive and don’t understand tone in the written word

2 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

But I wish you luck

@Mikeyy Just an observation. @SeattleLady said she has GERD. That is one of the main reasons people have revisions.

Choosing a surgery is so personal. What may be right for you may not be a good fit for others.

But I wish you luck

My doc would have allowed me to have RNY. At that time, anemia was an issue. RNY and anemia don't go well together. The sleeve allowed me to lose enough weight to have other necessary surgeries.

Now with GERD conversion to RNY is the best option for my longterm health. As I am no longer anemic.

Each person has to take the steps needed for their health. The is no "one size fits" all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app