Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I'm new here

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to this. I have been contemplating doing something to get my weight down. I am considering getting the lap band. I am 5'4 and 192 lbs so my BMI is on the lower end. I had a baby 6 months ago and ironically lost weight from that. However, like my other two pregnancies. I end up regaining the weight. My weight is creeping back up to its baseline which is between 195 to 205. I'm at a BMI of 32 and some change now.

In order to be able to fight for insurance coverage, I know you need to have a minimum of 35 BMI plus a comorbid condition. I'm worried about the latter part because I am unsure of which ones qualify you. I only have a history of hypertension and presently have bilateral lymphedema affecting my legs and a chronic skin condition called HS. Both of which affect my mobility and could really benefit from losing weight.

Presently, I do not have the option to self pay but I'm going to give it a go to see my options. Does anyone know of a similar situation that was covered? I couldn't find one by searching.

It probably seems silly to be considering this at this weight but I have been stuck at this size for what feels like a lifetime. Whatever I try, does not help.

Nice to meet you all!

Hypertension is a valid co-morbidity. sleep apnea is another.

Here is UnitedHealthCare's bariatric surgery policies to give you an example:

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/united-healthcares-criteria-for-weight-loss-surgery-coverage/

you might have a hard time finding a surgeon to place a lap band. A lot of them don't do them anymore - too many people have had problems with them.

Try your nearest State university hospital, they probably still do them. I know there a bunch-and- 3/4s hospitals in Your Area, but the first one that comes into my mind is Tufts, but I bet Brigham and Women's is also good. You're lucky to have so many, I have to travel 50 miles to Columbus Ohio to get a decent Bariatric Hospital.Mind you, I am not sorry, these people are wonderful, they do stilllap-band although that was not my surgery of choice.

6 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

Hypertension is a valid co-morbidity. sleep apnea is another.

Here is UnitedHealthCare's bariatric surgery policies to give you an example:

https://www.obesitycoverage.com/united-healthcares-criteria-for-weight-loss-surgery-coverage/

Thanks a lot for the list! I'm going to see if I have sleep apnea. My first appointment isn't until June 😳 but I understand that this will be a process. It's pretty sad that I have to reach for things for an insurance approval but I'm willing to try whatever it takes.

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

you might have a hard time finding a surgeon to place a lap band. A lot of them don't do them anymore - too many people have had problems with them.

I have been reading that a lot here. There are a few hospitals around my way that do them so hopefully I will find a way and it will work out for me.

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

Try your nearest State university hospital, they probably still do them. I know there a bunch-and- 3/4s hospitals in Your Area, but the first one that comes into my mind is Tufts, but I bet Brigham and Women's is also good. You're lucky to have so many, I have to travel 50 miles to Columbus Ohio to get a decent Bariatric Hospital.Mind you, I am not sorry, these people are wonderful, they do stilllap-band although that was not my surgery of choice.

My doctor sent a referral for the weight loss clinic at Brighams so I am waiting for the call to schedule the information session. Funny enough, I used to work at Tufts! They are a great hospital! I'm fortunate to have options. I am open to suggestions so if there is a better route I will definitely consider it!