Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this might seem like nothing compared to the surgery, but I’ve been watching some WLS YouTube videos and is it true you have to give yourself shots at home post op? I had no idea until now(three weeks until surgery) and I don’t mind professionals poking me with needles but I don’t see how I will possibly have the guts to do this to myself..

Please tell me it’s not something everyone has to do?

I did but honestly the needles are such a small gauge and so short they are not so bad to do. I remembered to switch sides of my tummy so one didn't get so sore, my belly was still so high I didn't have trouble finding a new location. Got good enough after 2 weeks I told my nurse " Ought to rent me out to one of the Drug-Houses, cause I am pretty good at this". But the other posters are correct ,,, if every surgeon requires them, if yours does, please believe he/she has assessed your individual case & feels you would benefit from them. I probably got mine because I am old as dirt(73) and because of arthritis a non- energetic Gym Rat.

I'm the same as you, terrified of needles. Even ones given to me by professionals. I thought I could never do it but they showed me how and when I went home I did it. I'm not gonna lie it was hard (emotionally). I was really scared but honestly it doesn't hurt at all. You don't feel it. The hardest thing is just gathering the courage to put it in. At first, I would just hold the needle for an hour crying because I was too scared to put it in but after I think 2 of them I learned that I have to do it without thinking about it AT ALL. Just take it out of the box and poke. Don't give yourself time to think. Overall, after the first couple times, it's not bad.

whoa, whoa, whoa...... whats this about giving yourself a shot? My surgeon has never mentioned this to me. I'm 4 weeks out until surgery & no mention of this at all!

No, I never had to

I did not need to give myself any shots.

In my experience, I was told yesterday at my pre op meeting with surgeon that I will be given a prescription for blood thinner and if my insurance didn't cover the pills the doctor would provide me with shots I would have to administer myself. Maybe ask if you can get pills instead?

also, the office I go to has 2 surgeons, and only my surgeon give blood thinners after, the other one doesn't. So it really depends on the doc.

Edited by karenbb8