Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GAS After surgery

Hi,

i got gastric bypass on the 16th of April. I was sent home today April 21st. My gas pains have been horrible, including in the hospital. The pains were so sever my heart rate was going up to 140. Besides beano does anybody know of anything I can do to get rid of the gas pains?

I haven’t had my surgery yet but I’ve read a lot about this including vloggers experiences on
YouTube. Walking & having someone burp you like a baby seems to be the best remedies.

Beano wont help with that type of gas. Its an enzyme to help you digest food properly. A heating pad around your upper back and shoulders will help relieve some of the pain but the body just has to absorb the gas trapped in your abdomen. Walking seems to be the only thing that speeds up that process. Makes sense because as you walk you are increasing your oxygen consumption and expelling more CO2 - which is the gas they use in surgery and what you're trying to get rid of.

On 04/21/2019 at 21:44, Cassie0501 said:

Thank you very much! I’ve been walking the entire time in the hospital and will continue to do that. I’ll have someone burp me and see how that goes

Hey Cassie.... how long do you think you endured the gas pains? How is everything going for you? I am having RNY on June 18th. It’s been 30 years since I was burped like a baby and I’m ready! Lol

And either a hot water bottle or heating pad, warmth helps things release and relax, and that's a Very Good thing!

I am still having pains as well when i lay down to go to bed at night. I tried massaging the diaphram a little and it seemed to help a bit. From what Ive pieced together, it comes from the phrenic nerve that goes from the diaphram to the shoulder that gets irritated by the gas. (its a common problem from laproscopic surgey.) The shoulder pain is killing me. Still, relaxing should help as well.

I dont know if we can gently massage the abdomen area yet, but that also should move the gas around as well,

I know how it is with gas pain, I am 3 years out from surgery and I have bad gas pains too....I have found that some foods will make it worse, pay attention to that, I also have been been diagnosed with gastritis, I now take an acid reducer and sometimes I take a gas pill and mylanya whin the pain gets really bad. Hope this is helpful.

Oh yes, I take a lot of that and mylanya, the mylanya coats the stomach.....good for gastritis.

Thanks for the info about the gas x. It was in my instructions, but I had forgotten. The gas has been my biggest problem. I also have been compliant about walking. It is better just not gone. How long does it last or is it always an issue?

Well, I have been out from surgery for 3 years now and I have always had it. I do think we have this issue always

Lol