Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone :)

I was wondering if I could ask for some help please?

A quick introduction to my weight history.

SO from a young age I was always overweight. Primary school I was the chubby girl, in high school I was the fat girl and in university the weight piled on even more until I got to around 16 and a half stone where the weight maintained itself. Then in the year of 2016/17 I went on an extreme diet and exercise regime where I lost ALOT of weight by myself, in the beginning it was great I felt in control and very motivated but then by the end of 2017 I had lost too much weight, I was severely depressed, lacking in nutrients, I had no friends and my weight plummeted to 6 and a half stone :(. Then in February of 2018 something just snapped in me I was tired of being constantly anxious and avoiding food so I just started eating EVERYTHING I had banned and BOOM by the end of 2018 I was back up to 17 stone again!!

I understand that my body needed the food but my anorexia phase went straight into binge eating and I have been struggling ever since :( all that hard work for nothing but I was so miserable I just wish I hadn't taken it so far!

Now I want to have WLS (I am going to therapy) and have been in contact with a surgeon here in the UK who is lovely, I want to take my time, heal my mind and body but I am just so down with my relationship with myself and food at the moment :(

Can anyone offer any advice please? The surgeon believes the mini gastric bypass would be the best route but I would need to select the package with the 12 phycologist sessions.

How has everyone's experience been after surgery? I just am afraid of going back the way I was, I never want to be like that again but I am feeling horrible at the moment :(

Thank you! :)

Char

Hello char :)
I am currently 1day post-op, had a LGS performed. Only speaking from my experience because we seem to share the same past lifestyle. I went on a strict diet, losing so much weight, but once I hit my goal weight, I went back to eating and sure enough gained weight back. I would go back and forth trying to diet, my weight would go down, but eventually go back up. After years of the constant battle I started giving up, and I really let go, eventually hitting 307lbs. I knew I need a serious change if I was going to keep the weight off. So I turned to WLS and here I am. From start to finish it was about 5 months.

As far as the after math of the LGS, they pump your body up with a gas to perform the surgery. Well that gas sits inside your body for awhile after surgery causing like a discomfort (not a pain for me), just more or less an annoyance. Like you have to burp but can’t. Other then that, I’m doing great. No pain other then swallowing there’s a small amount of pain.

I was super nervous the day before surgery, to the point where I was contemplating canceling it. I kept telling myself maybe just one more diet, it’ll work but I am surrounding by lots of family and I knew, all the diets I’ve done over the past 5 years never worked. I’m glad I didn’t cancel it and pushed through.

Now I’m super excited to see how this changes my life. And from reading everyone’s success stories on here, it truly inspired me to push for the surgery. So if you’re battling with your weight, it’s definitely something to considered. Try reading some success stories and I can’t wait to get to my goal weight and post my own story. Good luck with everything 😊 hope that helps

I don't know the different between the mini bypass and the regular one... but I'd say go for the bypass over the sleeve if that's even on the table. I had the sleeve done and I was just hungry all the time. I know some people aren't, but I see a lot of people are. I'd just go for the best. I had the bypass done in February and I am not hungry. I still struggle with my brain wanting food, but that's going to be a lifelong struggle for me. I have an addiction and like all addictions, you have to work at it. It sounds like you are going into this with your eyes wide open, ready to deal with the psychological part of it, which is a great way to approach it.

I had gastric bypass surgery around 6 years ago and I am very pleased with the results. It is sort of like the gold standard for bariatric surgery. They have most of the bugs worked out. Mini-gastric bypass is somewhat new so I can not really assess it.

In general, many people try various kinds of diets prior to eventually getting gastric bypass surgery. Most of the time these are referred to as yo-yo diets. Because the individuals will lose some weight but then over time give up the diet and then gain the weight back and then some. So it is like a yo-yo. In your case it went to the extreme and you slid into anorexia. So the only advise here is that the psychological treatment component is very important for you for the surgery to work. (the package with the 12 phycologist sessions). Also if things go south sometimes after surgery then reactivate the physiological component.

The three most important elements after gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

2 hours ago, Jon_gets_skinny said:

Hello char :)
I am currently 1day post-op, had a LGS performed. Only speaking from my experience because we seem to share the same past lifestyle. I went on a strict diet, losing so much weight, but once I hit my goal weight, I went back to eating and sure enough gained weight back. I would go back and forth trying to diet, my weight would go down, but eventually go back up. After years of the constant battle I started giving up, and I really let go, eventually hitting 307lbs. I knew I need a serious change if I was going to keep the weight off. So I turned to WLS and here I am. From start to finish it was about 5 months.

As far as the after math of the LGS, they pump your body up with a gas to perform the surgery. Well that gas sits inside your body for awhile after surgery causing like a discomfort (not a pain for me), just more or less an annoyance. Like you have to burp but can’t. Other then that, I’m doing great. No pain other then swallowing there’s a small amount of pain.

I was super nervous the day before surgery, to the point where I was contemplating canceling it. I kept telling myself maybe just one more diet, it’ll work but I am surrounding by lots of family and I knew, all the diets I’ve done over the past 5 years never worked. I’m glad I didn’t cancel it and pushed through.

Now I’m super excited to see how this changes my life. And from reading everyone’s success stories on here, it truly inspired me to push for the surgery. So if you’re battling with your weight, it’s definitely something to considered. Try reading some success stories and I can’t wait to get to my goal weight and post my own story. Good luck with everything 😊 hope that helps

Hey Jon 🙂

Thank you so much for coming back to me. It is so nice to be able to relate back to someone even if it is over a hard situation! I am totally the same, I just don't have it in me anymore to force myself to diet and then be triggered by a situation again and let it all pile back on.

Ah that is good to hear that you have minimal pain, to be honest I haven't even been worrying about the pain side as I have been a bit caught up with the mental side 😞 I think I am more anxious of having my comfort blanket of food pulled away from me? But I am crying out for change so that needs to happen!

Also I am so happy to hear that you pushed on through and had the surgery, I 100% think you made the right decision based on what you've told me and I am so excited to see how you progress in your journey! 🙂 Thank you for all your advice, it's comforting to have people who know how you feel, have a lovely day! 🙂

2 hours ago, froufrou said:

I don't know the different between the mini bypass and the regular one... but I'd say go for the bypass over the sleeve if that's even on the table. I had the sleeve done and I was just hungry all the time. I know some people aren't, but I see a lot of people are. I'd just go for the best. I had the bypass done in February and I am not hungry. I still struggle with my brain wanting food, but that's going to be a lifelong struggle for me. I have an addiction and like all addictions, you have to work at it. It sounds like you are going into this with your eyes wide open, ready to deal with the psychological part of it, which is a great way to approach it.

Hey Froufrou,

Thank you for the advice 🙂 your so right I don't think any of us would be in this position if it wasn't an addiction and it's just such a shame that we carry ours on our waistline! Like you I know I will always have this battle and that's why I referred myself for therapy, my relationship with food has never been positive! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, it is really appreciated 🙂 I am happy you have found success with the bypass

2 hours ago, James Marusek said:

I had gastric bypass surgery around 6 years ago and I am very pleased with the results. It is sort of like the gold standard for bariatric surgery. They have most of the bugs worked out. Mini-gastric bypass is somewhat new so I can not really assess it.

In general, many people try various kinds of diets prior to eventually getting gastric bypass surgery. Most of the time these are referred to as yo-yo diets. Because the individuals will lose some weight but then over time give up the diet and then gain the weight back and then some. So it is like a yo-yo. In your case it went to the extreme and you slid into anorexia. So the only advise here is that the psychological treatment component is very important for you for the surgery to work. (the package with the 12 phycologist sessions). Also if things go south sometimes after surgery then reactivate the physiological component.

The three most important elements after gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Hi James,

Yes the MGB is a new version that I think takes less time for the surgeon to do, but it seems to be getting good reviews 🙂

Yes I totally agree, the psychological element will be essential for me to work, I am almost afraid if I am going into it too soon but I think I will always make an excuse if I don't. I am just wondering how is your relationship now with food 6 years after having the bypass?

Thank you for all of the advice, I will definitely be keeping that in mind! I know for the year after my body will be healing so I need to nourish it in all ways I can. 🙂

26 minutes ago, Charlar said:

Hi James,

I am just wondering how is your relationship now with food 6 years after having the bypass?

After Gastric Bypass surgery, I lost 120 pounds (8.6 stones) within around 7 or 8 months after surgery. One of the advantages of this surgery (RNY gastric bypass) was that I completely lost my hunger. It was not difficult to lose the weight when you are not constantly hungry all the time. Eventually after about a year the hunger returns but it is not as strong as before.

A picture is worth a thousand words - so here is my before and 6 month after - photo comparison.

Operation.jpg

Initially the weight loss is rapid but as time goes on it slows down and then eventually stops and a person transitions into the Maintenance stage. In this stage the goal is to maintain the weight that has been lost. There is also something called the 20 pound bounce. Many individuals will gain around 20 pounds back from their bottom but it is important to not let this weight gain accelerate beyond this bounce.

On 04/18/2019 at 11:07, Charlar said:

Hey Jon 🙂

Thank you so much for coming back to me. It is so nice to be able to relate back to someone even if it is over a hard situation! I am totally the same, I just don't have it in me anymore to force myself to diet and then be triggered by a situation again and let it all pile back on.

Ah that is good to hear that you have minimal pain, to be honest I haven't even been worrying about the pain side as I have been a bit caught up with the mental side 😞 I think I am more anxious of having my comfort blanket of food pulled away from me? But I am crying out for change so that needs to happen!

Also I am so happy to hear that you pushed on through and had the surgery, I 100% think you made the right decision based on what you've told me and I am so excited to see how you progress in your journey! 🙂 Thank you for all your advice, it's comforting to have people who know how you feel, have a lovely day! 🙂

Certainly! :)
I’m right there with you about taking away my comfort food. I went on a liquid diet 10 days prior to my surgery and during the time, all I wanted was to turn to my comfort food and give up. But in the back of my head I stayed strong. It definitely takes some strong will power to stay away and the though of losing your comfort food makes it that much harder. I could literally have the worst day ever and I could go to a fast food place, sit in the parking lot and just devour food and my whole day would turn around and I’d be happy. That’s how much food change my emotions. But when I went to the doctor and he told me at the rate I was going with high BP, high cholesterol, a very unhealthy liver, I was due to have a heart attack within 10 years. He said by the time you’re 38, you’re on track to have a heart attack if not sooner. It was a complete eye opener and game changer, being I had lost my father from a heart attack just 2 years ago.

So you really need to find your will power and strength. Hopefully find a new comfort to make you feel better when you have down days. The gym also helps with those days for me. You can do it! Feel free to ask me anything!

15 hours ago, James Marusek said:

After Gastric Bypass surgery, I lost 120 pounds (8.6 stones) within around 7 or 8 months after surgery. One of the advantages of this surgery (RNY gastric bypass) was that I completely lost my hunger. It was not difficult to lose the weight when you are not constantly hungry all the time. Eventually after about a year the hunger returns but it is not as strong as before.

A picture is worth a thousand words - so here is my before and 6 month after - photo comparison. 

Operation.jpg

Initially the weight loss is rapid but as time goes on it slows down and then eventually stops and a person transitions into the Maintenance stage. In this stage the goal is to maintain the weight that has been lost. There is also something called the 20 pound bounce. Many individuals will gain around 20 pounds back from their bottom but it is important to not let this weight gain accelerate beyond this bounce.

You look amazing!! Massive congratulations, especially to be so motivated years on, thank you for all of the advice 🙂 I have an appointment with the psychologist on Tuesday and then after talking to her I am hoping to work a plan towards surgery and book it! Thank you 🙂

15 hours ago, Jon_gets_skinny said:

Certainly! :)
I’m right there with you about taking away my comfort food. I went on a liquid diet 10 days prior to my surgery and during the time, all I wanted was to turn to my comfort food and give up. But in the back of my head I stayed strong. It definitely takes some strong will power to stay away and the though of losing your comfort food makes it that much harder. I could literally have the worst day ever and I could go to a fast food place, sit in the parking lot and just devour food and my whole day would turn around and I’d be happy. That’s how much food change my emotions. But when I went to the doctor and he told me at the rate I was going with high BP, high cholesterol, a very unhealthy liver, I was due to have a heart attack within 10 years. He said by the time you’re 38, you’re on track to have a heart attack if not sooner. It was a complete eye opener and game changer, being I had lost my father from a heart attack just 2 years ago.

So you really need to find your will power and strength. Hopefully find a new comfort to make you feel better when you have down days. The gym also helps with those days for me. You can do it! Feel free to ask me anything!

Ah you are so hitting the mark about food changing the emotions! I go on a binge and don't think about what I am doing until after when I look back and realise it's been because of me feeling anxious, lonely and self-conscious.

Awh I am so sorry for your loss, I am sure that was hard to hear but you have already achieved so much pushing through with the decision! It will all be so worth it! I am like you in the sense that I am 25 and I dread to think what would my health be like in my 30s! 😞 and I would rather do it sooner than later.

I am already finding so much comfort on this forum, it is great to talk to people who aren't going crazy at you for even considering the surgery! Thank you so much, I am sure I will take you up on the offer 🙂

On 04/19/2019 at 04:28, Charlar said:

Ah you are so hitting the mark about food changing the emotions! I go on a binge and don't think about what I am doing until after when I look back and realise it's been because of me feeling anxious, lonely and self-conscious.

Awh I am so sorry for your loss, I am sure that was hard to hear but you have already achieved so much pushing through with the decision! It will all be so worth it! I am like you in the sense that I am 25 and I dread to think what would my health be like in my 30s! 😞 and I would rather do it sooner than later.

I am already finding so much comfort on this forum, it is great to talk to people who aren't going crazy at you for even considering the surgery! Thank you so much, I am sure I will take you up on the offer 🙂

Thank you :)
And yes, get it sooner rather than later, because if you continue to wait you’ll never get it done and continuously second guess getting it. And being young, I’m sure that helps with the healing process from the surgery. I’m now on my second day post op and am feeling very good. I went into surgery starving, stomach pains and growling, but now after I have zero desire to eat. It’s crazy feeling because that’s all I used to want to ever do.

This forum has been very helpful with the support for me as well. I joined specifically because I too wanted to talk to people who are going or went through the same thing because some people just don’t understand.

What also helped was reading others inspiration stories and seeing there difference.

You don't want to live in Woulda- Shoulda- Coulda Land , it is a Sad Sad Sad place to hang your Hat! And I am so happy I moved to KangarooLand where we all have Pouches, just wish it had been long long ago so I would have had more years to enjoy time. Oh well if I died tomorrow my pallbearer won't get hernias lifting me, saddest one I ever heard was one person they put on a sort of trolley to take to the grave, the casket was Too Heavy to lift. Praise God it's not ME they are talking about!