Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is complete! Onto road to recover

What is on your list of things you want to do after weight loss. My counselor said to make a list. All I want is my knees to quit hurting, they did when I lost my weight before. I also want to wear clothes without 2 being the first number or an X the last number. I don't have any really big goals. So far do you have the reflux you had with the band?

So far no reflux but barely eating so not sure yet. I hope I don't. I pray I don't. I want to get on a plane and not worry if the seatbelt will fit. I would like to scuba dive with less then 20pounds of weight since the last time I went I needed 22pounds just to stay down because I float. I want to be able to get in my ski boots again. I have also had two knee surgeries in the last two years so they are screaming for relief. I am a very active person stuck in a fat persons body I guess.

4 hours ago, Jon_gets_skinny said:

Wow no leak test! I feel like for me personally it’s just a sense of relief knowing there’s no leak I guess, did you have the sleeve performed?

The gas pain definitely subsides, so don’t worry! If it’s gas pain from the surgery, walking around had helped me get rid of that. If it’s gas pain after your swallow something, then time was the only thing that helped. It’s been a week for me and all the gas pain has dissipated for me. I didn’t take any gasX for pain relief as by the time I got the word out on here about it, I had already started feeling better and just pushed through it.

Speedy recovery for you! It’ll go by quick, it’s already flying by for me :)

Thank you for your kind words. I do feel a bit less gassy today. Able to get a bit more Protein in which is good. Trying to decide when to go back to work because I feel REALLY tired and shaky. How many days did you take off?

On 04/25/2019 at 13:07, Sandra Nuelken said:

What is on your list of things you want to do after weight loss. My counselor said to make a list. All I want is my knees to quit hurting, they did when I lost my weight before. I also want to wear clothes without 2 being the first number or an X the last number. I don't have any really big goals. So far do you have the reflux you had with the band?

Hey Sandra! That’s an excellent idea making a list! My main focus though is to get healthy and get off this BP medication and high cholesterol medication. I also have bad knee pain in my right knee but mostly only when I’m going down steps, so I’m hoping this will take care of that. Then there’s countless of other things, like simply being able to walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breathe and feeling better about myself. And hopefully get out of these XXL shirts also 😁I also had the gastric sleeve done, not the band, but still to answer, I’ve had zero issues with reflux so far

I'm going through the steps for the sleeve after having the band for 9 years. I remember what it was like when I weighed less and that's all I want again. I want my mobility and health back. I too have trouble with knees, stairs, hills, and walking and distant. I also want to be able to get in and out of my kayak without making a fool of myself. Keep me updated on your journey, good news keeps me positive!

On 04/25/2019 at 14:03, Shellcat said:

Thank you for your kind words. I do feel a bit less gassy today. Able to get a bit more Protein in which is good. Trying to decide when to go back to work because I feel REALLY tired and shaky. How many days did you take off?

Hey @shellcat

Glad you’re able to get more Protein in, for me, every day it definitely got easier to drink more and get more protein in. Just got to do a little more each day. For me I had to go on short term disability because my work I do a lot of walking and strenuous work and my doctor said she didn’t want me put that much stress on my body especially the first 4 weeks until the stomach actually solidifies. So I’m out of work for 4 weeks but making the best of it. Been doing hiking trails everyday since about two days after surgery. I’ve never had this much time off of work before lol

On 04/25/2019 at 20:54, Sandra Nuelken said:

I'm going through the steps for the sleeve after having the band for 9 years. I remember what it was like when I weighed less and that's all I want again. I want my mobility and health back. I too have trouble with knees, stairs, hills, and walking and distant. I also want to be able to get in and out of my kayak without making a fool of myself. Keep me updated on your journey, good news keeps me positive!

I agree Sandra, mobility and health. I want to be able to run again and perhaps participate in a half marathon, I heard it’s a huge accomplishment feeling especially for those who are overweight. Kayaking is awesome, you’ll get there! 😊

I want to be able to walk a 1/4 marathon, at 73 I think that would be fine. I have 2 bionic knees and an ankle that should have been surgically repaired but wasn't, so. can't get up on my toes to run and too much chance of me falling in the first placeI When you're on the ground what do you sacrifice to get back up? Last time it happened , less than a month ago, sidestepped a curb and fell on my face. Took 2 EMT , one under my good, well better of the 2 ,arm , the other taking a hold of my Levi's belt, Bless you , dear departed Levi Strauss for making a strong strong fabric! There was no way I could get up from the position I was in. And since it was less than a week past my shoulder surgery I got transported to local hospital to make sure I hadn't popped something or broke that arm because I landed on my still sick arm.All I ended up doing is severely bruising it, that was the 10th, the bruises finally are fading but I looked like I had run it through a wringer washer. Oh well, I have never been "average" or even "normal" but I was created to be a success and that's what I'll do as long as I have breath in this 73 year old body, I was made of strong steel not plastic or fiberglass. I'm a keeper, not easily traded in on another model.

Just had surgery on Monday, 4/22. Really struggling with getting the required liquids and Protein. I'm getting about 40 g of protein with the Isopure but can't seem to get anymore. I start feeling nauseous.

I happy to hear from Frustr8, I am 72 and was concerned about my age. I just had my knee injected today and I want my knees to stop hurting so very bad. I also want to be able to go out to eat and not look like I'm giving birth getting out of the booth. Between the weight and knees, it is a real show. I know if I sit anywhere where my knees are higher than my fanny I'm stuck. But most of all I want the freedom to move in this world without worry or thought. Then I want to travel and fly again.

I'm making it, you will too Sandra, oh there are moments I get a little down but they are getting fewer and farther between. Hoping for good news about my intestinal ulcers, it and my stoma stricture have been altering my life since last October, but I have great hopes by a year I will be so resolved it will be but an distant memory. This too shall pass, sorrow is only limited for me! So on to my finale, haven't made it to where I want to be, but the fact. I am now at 224, down from my high of 365+ means I could break into Onderland close to my one year anniversary on September 5th. Can anyone guess how happy I will be put 1 at the front of my weight? If I had a tail I would wag it from side to side and up and down in joy! I can almost see it on the horizon!😝🌺🌸😝

I hit it once with the band, the happiest day was when I actually weighed less than what was on my driver's license. It had always been a dream weight. I remember when I put on a pair of jeans and saw the light between my thighs. We will do it. I have 2 more appointments then I have to wait for a surgery date. My knees are anxious too. We will try to be patient. My doctor today while working on my knees asked if I could lose just 10 pounds. I told her I would try but if you get to the point you can't walk to exercise it is pretty hard. I'll drag the kayak out and get in it when I can. I hope you have a safe and successful journey.

OMG Sandra, you just reminded me of something. I have always put 250 as my weight on IDs, I'm now SMALLER than I said! Wow ee Wow wow!

On 4/25/2019 at 9:40 AM, Jon_gets_skinny said:

Wow no leak test! I feel like for me personally it’s just a sense of relief knowing there’s no leak I guess, did you have the sleeve performed?

The gas pain definitely subsides, so don’t worry! If it’s gas pain from the surgery, walking around had helped me get rid of that. If it’s gas pain after your swallow something, then time was the only thing that helped. It’s been a week for me and all the gas pain has dissipated for me. I didn’t take any gasX for pain relief as by the time I got the word out on here about it, I had already started feeling better and just pushed through it.

Speedy recovery for you! It’ll go by quick, it’s already flying by for me :)

I had my surgery yesterday and my surgeon explained the leak test.he did it at the time of surgery. He used an endoscope to place air in stomach on the sutures end had Fluid inserted in the abdominal cavity. He was looking for bobbles to confirm the seal.

There are other ways to do this test, after surgery, but they involve radiologic image (radiation) and if something is not perfectly sealed it has to be addressed by going back in surgery. Not ideal.

so if you did not had test done as separate intervention it is likely because it was done during surgery.

I remember with the band the excitement I felt - and pride - when I actually reached the weight under my driver's license. That is my goal again.