Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me your This is why story!

Here is one of mine from this past weekend ( I am in the beginning stages of this journey)

My husbands birthday is coming up and so I got us tickets to go see Jim Gaffigan as a surprise. We went to dinner before and were cutting it pretty close, the event was at the event center at a local college and by the time we were trying to park they were full. So we ended up parking about a mile away 10 mins before the show was starting.

A little background on my husband, he weights 160 soaking wet and walks an average of 10 miles a day at work. I on the other hand am seeing 282 on the scales these days and sit at a desk working from home all day.

So we are trying to hurry, and EVERYTHING is uphill, then once we finally made it into the event center we had to climb to the balcony. By the time we found our seats I was covered in sweat ( which totally ruled out taking any cute selfies before the show) I could barely breathe,my throat was on fire and my feet and legs were yelling at me... it sucked! I couldn’t even laugh at first because I was still hurting from breathing so hard. (Although once my body calmed down I had a great night)

The whole walk there and the whole walk back I just kept telling myself THIS is why! I can’t wait to free my body of all the pounds that keep me from really enjoying life. Next time it will just be a nice walk we share together on the way to a great evening.

Have you you had any This why moments? I would love to hear them

When I was diagnosed with PCOS, unable to get pregnant for the last 10 years...I was told losing the weight would increase my fertility and some of the PCOS side effects.

Also, around the same time II'd had a bad bout of pneumonia and was put on steroids for a good few months and packed on weight. After I recivered from the Pneumonia and was released from the hospital, last April I started the process.

A few months into my waiting period, still pushing 300lbs , I broke a chair on the 4th of July. I was so embarrassed. Enough was enough. I want my baby more than anything and I'm tired of worrying about the weight capacity of a lawn chair. All of this was humiliating and discouraging.

I also work from home and aside from walking up and down the stairs during work hours, I'm usually sedentary for 10 hours..

My hubs is 6'6" and weighs 178, I FINALLY weigh less than him. HA!!!

What procedure are you looking to do?

1 hour ago, danieocean said:

When I was diagnosed with PCOS, unable to get pregnant for the last 10 years...I was told losing the weight would increase my fertility and some of the PCOS side effects.

Also, around the same time II'd had a bad bout of pneumonia and was put on steroids for a good few months and packed on weight. After I recivered from the Pneumonia and was released from the hospital, last April I started the process.

A few months into my waiting period, still pushing 300lbs , I broke a chair on the 4th of July. I was so embarrassed. Enough was enough. I want my baby more than anything and I'm tired of worrying about the weight capacity of a lawn chair. All of this was humiliating and discouraging.

I also work from home and aside from walking up and down the stairs during work hours, I'm usually sedentary for 10 hours..

I think your hubby is underweight or very very fit... I'm 6'0 and my dr said my goal could be 185..

I don't know why, but I thought about what if I had a medical emergency and they had to take me on a stretcher to the hospital in an ambulance and they couldn't lift me because I was so fat? That motivated me to want to lose weight.

On 04/16/2019 at 8:29 AM ,Mikeyy said:

I think your hubby is underweight or very very fit... I'm 6'0 and my dr said my goal could be 185..

A good little motivating force for improvement. Well time for one of Frustr8's stories. My late grandma Hubbell, my mama's mama always wore clean clothes including underwear in perfect condition. She had a horror of the postman's horse or later-on his station wagon, running her over, she would have to go to hospital and she might have mended undies on. Oh the shame of it all!
Told her once , stay out of the road Grandma, stand. up on the bank if necessary, and just Borden sits in the middle of the seat, it doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't KNOW how to drive! But THAT was her biggest fear in life. Mine would be living there, 6 miles from town , no phone , electricity, running Water in a 6 room house heated by wood. But when I look back, there was love there, chores to keep you from. sitting inside depressed and a chance to have an unimpeded view as God changed the seasons, and each has their beauty about it. So maybe she lived a neater sweeter life than me after all!😋🌸🍀🌺🌲🌞

My husband and I go to conventions twice a year, the second convention of the year is housed in an indoor Water park resort. SO if you stay on property if you're not doing convention stuff you can take time to go to the water park. My husband is 180lbs and I was 284lbs at the time and we wanted to ride the water slides together. I was to big for EVERY SINGLE WATER SLIDE except the ones that had an 8 person raft. They all had weight limits of either 220lbs or 250lbs. He wouldn't go on without me (bless his heart he didn't want me to feel left out) but I felt like I was holding him back. I was blessed enough with that weight that we went to Disneyland together and I was able to walk around all day with no problems or getting exhausted but it was embarrassing knowing that I was holding him back from enjoying himself when we were at the water park just because I was literally to big to ride. It's also why other then Disney we've only been to one amusement park together because I'm always to big for the rides (probably not anymore tho!)

6 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

his BMI is 20.6 not underweight - normal is 18.5 -24.9 - Your BMI at 185 is 25.1

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

57d291cadd0895c6308b46b0-640-495.png

This is why

I went into type 1 diabetic ketoacidosis. Eight days ICU, My internal organs were systematically shutting down and my heart stopped. I had WLS a few months after. Five years out, I am a well-controlled type one. I don’t take my health or this second chance in life for granted.

11 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

This is why

I went into type 1 diabetic ketoacidosis. Eight days ICU, My internal organs were systematically shutting down and my heart stopped. I had WLS a few months after. Five years out, I am a well-controlled type one. I don’t take my health or this second chance in life for granted.

So scary!!! My son has had type 1 since he was 3, so i know how hard it can be to stay on top of- way to go!!!

1 hour ago, zombieskayer said:

My husband and I go to conventions twice a year, the second convention of the year is housed in an indoor Water park resort. SO if you stay on property if you're not doing convention stuff you can take time to go to the Water park. My husband is 180lbs and I was 284lbs at the time and we wanted to ride the water slides together. I was to big for EVERY SINGLE WATER SLIDE except the ones that had an 8 person raft. They all had weight limits of either 220lbs or 250lbs. He wouldn't go on without me (bless his heart he didn't want me to feel left out) but I felt like I was holding him back. I was blessed enough with that weight that we went to Disneyland together and I was able to walk around all day with no problems or getting exhausted but it was embarrassing knowing that I was holding him back from enjoying himself when we were at the water park just because I was literally to big to ride. It's also why other then Disney we've only been to one amusement park together because I'm always to big for the rides (probably not anymore tho!)

Oh man! I have been there- so many times just looking at that weight limit and wondering if I would really break the ride and whats worse, not playing with my kids or the embarrassment of having the park shut down a slide because I was too fat....I am so excited for us both to get to enjoy it all!!

3 hours ago, GradyCat said:

I don't know why, but I thought about what if I had a medical emergency and they had to take me on a stretcher to the hospital in an ambulance and they couldn't lift me because I was so fat? That motivated me to want to lose weight.

isn't it amazing how you have those thought running through your mind? So glad you were able to take the leap into controlling your own health!!

8 hours ago, danieocean said:

I am looking into the VSG, I totally understand the sedentary life, working from home sounds great (and in a lot of ways it is) but I swear i can go days with only getting in 200 steps.

I can't wait to finally weigh even the same as my husband lol! I was super tiny up until I had my first kid, always around 135... now I am 284... looking forward to finding that body again.

I hope you get to hold that baby in your arms soon!! That would be the best reward for such hard work!!

This is why ....

On vacation and holding my friends back from doing things like climbing to the top of bell towers or hiking up hills.

Turning down invites to zipline or skydive because I'm at the top of the weight limit.

Hated that my most defining feature was my weight.

4 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

What is that jibberish

And yet I have never seen an unkind post from Frustr8....

Something that you might consider.