Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you all managing with the fall/holiday temptations? Lots of Snacks and candy around lately. I’m snacking which is bad and stress eating more, I lost just one pound this whole month. Any advice for the coming few mo the of holiday eating?

I'm concerned for you. Our first six months post-surgery weight loss is due partly from the help of the surgery and partly due to our own adherence to our dietitians' plans. If you are just nearly five months out, and have already started snacking and stress eating and almost stopped losing weight, you are not getting to enjoy the weight loss benefits of the surgery or from your own good habits.

Speak to your dietitian and be honest. S/he can help you come up with ways to return to good eating habits and to find substitutes like sugar-free popsicles to satisfy cravings. If you do this, you will find that the pounds start slowly coming off again. Best of luck to you!

45 minutes ago, BessyF50 said:

How are you all managing with the fall/holiday temptations? Lots of Snacks and candy around lately. I’m snacking which is bad and stress eating more, I lost just one pound this whole month. Any advice for the coming few mo the of holiday eating?

Hi Bessy,

The best advice my team gave me for this sort of thing is that, when I'm having a craving for something sweet, that I can have a small portion of it, so long as I'm enjoying it with a meal. Sometimes I find that having one fun size candy from the dish at work with my otherwise healthy meal helps me satiate the craving. The other advice they gave me (that also works for me) is to avoid grazing, so to have something to eat every 3-4 hours. If I feel an urge to eat and it hasn't been 3 hours yet, I can be fairly certain it's head hunger now, and I can try to head off whatever other instinct may be causing me to eat.

Hope this helps! It's a tough time of year to be trying to stick to a healthy lifestyle, that's for sure... but I have confidence in you 🙂

Hi everyone!! Seeing this thread pop up in my e-mail today reminded me that it's been ages since I've posted here, so I thought I'd share an update! I'm 4.5 months out from my RNY surgery now, and life feels pretty normal again, although my pouch and I are still getting to know each other. For the past two months or so, I've had the feeling that I can fit more food than I should be able to at this point, but my nutritionist told me as long as I'm not taking more than 20 minutes to eat and am honoring my body's fullness signals, I'm doing what I'm supposed to.

I know I haven't been perfect about everything - and have also been assured that that happens. The important thing is to keep brushing myself off and continuing to do right by myself as often as I can. As a recovering perfectionist, I need to remind myself that I'd rather be good at this than perfect - after all, trying to be perfect and failing at it is what caused me to give up so many times before!

I'm trying hard to not focus too much on the numbers (especially since I'm currently plateaued at one of my body's preferred set weights), but I'm pleased with my progress, and I know the weight will continue to come down eventually. I try to continue to measure my success in every other way I can though. I took a flight last week and didn't need a seatbelt extender (!!) I learned that I've lost more weight so far than my sister's large dog weighs. I enjoy looking at my "before" and "after" pictures to remind myself of how far I've come. Instead of beating myself up for my bumps in the road, I'm choosing to embrace the successes I've had and to look forward to having my pouch be a lifelong tool I can work with 🙂

I hope all of you have recovered well from your procedures, and I wish you all continued success on your journeys!

Greetings Everyone in the Funky JuneBunch,
It has been a while. I've been wanting to give you all an update but life happens.
My mom has been in and out of the hospital for the last 2 months.
We thought we were going to lose her. But God is good. And she is still with us.
I wanted to pop in and give an update on my status.
Well for starters, as I weighed myself this morning, I am at 168lbs.
I haven't seen the Onederlands since........It's been a minute. Let's just say 20+ years.
To keep up the momentum, I walk on an average of 3-8 miles a day.
As far as diet, I have slowly went back to all the foods I have eaten before surgery. However, I cannot eat much at a time. Which is a good thing. I still have difficulties with getting in my required Water intake. For some strange reason I just can't get water down like I was able to before the surgery. But I am not complaining. The small things are so much better than the idea of being grotesquely overweight.
I now, go up and down stairs with no problem or slightness of breath.
And I have picked up a new addiction........wait for it.......Shopping.
I've had to rethink my size and do a mental makeover. My walking buddy told me that I have to give up my "Plus size" thinking because I am no longer plus size.
I've had to retool and buy a whole new wardrobe. I am no longer a size 22. But I am more like a size 12 and 14. No more 2X and 3X. Now it's more like Medium and maybe an occasional Large. And I am not even at the 6 months marker. My six months will be on December 3rd. is June 1st…..
I will include a few photos to help illustrate my progress.
Keeping The Faith,
the Purpledva
Below is a before/after photo
The picture on the left was October 2018 and the right is October 2019
What difference a year makes.
If I can do it, then you all can too.
zVLuCoqITf2TZOyCCjJJAg?viewBox=920%2C920&ownerId=AMJKFH23BB1SP