Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 hours ago, Mamasboys_svg said:

praying for you that everything is fine have you take the Vitamins and Protein? How difficult and hard was after surgery ? Gas pain? Can we use the stairs after surgery is it really difficult to drink after surgery the amount of Water and Protein that we need to drink? You don't have it answer all of these if you are not feeling well I just don't have any ody else to talk to and at this point I am worry that something may happen to me and what is gonna happen with my babies :-(

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

You may also want to ask some of these questions of your surgeon and/or care team before your surgery. Hopefully they have spent some time preparing you before you head into this surgery? Any one experience here will very likely not be indicative of what your experience will be. I think we've all had vastly different journeys, even though we started out on similar paths. For instance, my recovery has been smooth, and has excelled when I've followed the instructions my team gave me (the only issues I've had were when I deviated from them). What's going on with our poor lovely BWBW is an exception and not the rule.

I was able to do stairs shortly after surgery, though I did have to take my time. I have had a hard time fitting in everything I've needed to - I've really had to work at it, but it eventually all gets in. It just takes all day 😊

I would agree everyone’s experiences are different and some depends on surgery type. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital - when I went home I could do stairs no issue I hit Protein and fluid goals by day 3 or 4 with no issues) the time in the hospital they pumped me so full of fluids it took days to de-swell - my surgery was pretty invasive lapband removal hernia repair and ds, I was up walking by the evening of surgery it helps a lot with the gas- I was told I had to walk at least every 3 hours and more than just to bathroom- the gas pain took about a week - I never took my nausea meds once leaving the hospital managed daytime pain with Tylenol week 1 I took good stuff to sleep but stopped that after 6 days - haven’t needed Tylenol really past week 2- I feel like it’s gone great. I worked from home 2 weeks- my mom and my mil took turns staying with us to help with kids

On 06/27/2019 at 10:18, starladustangel said:

I am really getting fed up with my lack of weight loss. I get it's normal at 3 weeks out but I lost 13 pounds in 10 days then 2 pounds in the next week and 1 pound over the last week. I haven't lost any inches for over a week now. I feel the same guilt and shame I've always felt dieting when people would tell me that spinach and bell pepper was causing me to stall because they have a sweet taste or I must be eating more than I think or sleep eating. People always insist that's it's just a simple matter of calories and that heavy people could just be thin if we eat less. Except the last few weeks have shown me that is such a bunch of bs. I really hope I start having some steady weight loss soon.

I also was supposed to promise not to weigh every day but I can’t stop- everyone’s weight loss is different and you are absolutely right about calories in and out that doesn’t apply to most obese people but our bodies are in a state of shock too right now. I met with dietician Monday and their point about the scale was this- these surgeries find that you lose the weight for the most part in the first year and you can’t lose a pound a day! Your body had to reset, trust that food is coming and changes will follow. I lost 8lb week 1 pre surgery diet and 13 total on that 2 weeks-I’m 3 weeks out from surgery and in those 3 have lost 11, most can’t keep the pace out the gate- and your body will react- it still takes time! Hang in there!!!!

1 hour ago, starladustangel said:

I am really getting fed up with my lack of weight loss. I get it's normal at 3 weeks out but I lost 13 pounds in 10 days then 2 pounds in the next week and 1 pound over the last week. I haven't lost any inches for over a week now. I feel the same guilt and shame I've always felt dieting when people would tell me that spinach and bell pepper was causing me to stall because they have a sweet taste or I must be eating more than I think or sleep eating. People always insist that's it's just a simple matter of calories and that heavy people could just be thin if we eat less. Except the last few weeks have shown me that is such a bunch of bs. I really hope I start having some steady weight loss soon.

I used to have an article saved that explained the biological science behind weight loss stalls, unfortunately it was on my old phone that was deleted and I can't find it again. The gist of it was that, since we often go through times of rapid weight loss, and especially when it's visceral fat loss (the fat surrounding our organs), the body needs time to readjust things on the inside. It also must readjust the chemical links between body and brain to reset our metabolic rate, adjust to the new caloric intake, etc. So yes, stalls are not only inevitable but also vital to the body's health and wellbeing.

Now, this also greatly depends on WHY you're stalled. If you know for a fact that you have followed your plan near perfect with very minimal to NO cheating, then it's a natural stall and likely nothing you do will help, just stick to your plan. If,however, you know there have been cheat days, or you've eaten larger portions than you should or you've been grazing on slider foods, etc...that's not a stall, that's you veering from your plan, go back to basics and get back on track.

If you know it's a natural stall and has been for more than two weeks, there are some things you can try to jumpstart the weight loss again. One of the simplest is to change up routines like whatever exercise routine you're into, do something different. Don't keep doing the same routine day after day expecting the same results, your body gets used to it so you must trick the body. Another is to change up your caloric intake. Let's say your plan has you at 1000 calories a day. Try doing only 700 one day then 1200 the next, then 800, 1100....get it? Figure what your intake should be for a full week then divide it up into those 7 days, altering between low and high days. There are some more advanced things that work also but I don't reccomend them until you're a year or more post-op, like Water fasts, OMAD, dry fasting, extended fasting..... For now though, until you're a year or more out. When you stall, give in a couple weeks for the body to make adjustments, if it doesn't go back to losing then try the two things I mentioned above. Don't let the scale get you depressed because we ALL know what happens when we're feeling down, we make poor decisions. When you first notice a stall, I suggest putting the scale up somewhere for at least a couple weeks, and simply go about your days following your plan. Good luck and keep your head up. Remember, you didn't gain all that weight over night, you're damn sure not going to lose it over night either. 😉

Edited by JamesL73
Typos

I am finally home day one I told them before surgery no pain meds the anesthesiologist told me I needed it before they wheeled me back it messed me up for the rest of the day I am super sensitive to pain meds so I would get dizzy and feel faint if I set up. By 5:30 on day one that wore off that nite I had pretty bad gas pains but Tylenol 3 helped with that also mixed with phenagran and then I got to come home yesterday not having any problems taking in fluids or my broth and I seem to be able to drink almost normal sips don’t know how normal that is

1 hour ago, JamesL73 said:

I used to have an article saved that explained the biological science behind weight loss stalls, unfortunately it was on my old phone that was deleted and I can't find it again. The gist of it was that, since we often go through times of rapid weight loss, and especially when it's visceral fat loss (the fat surrounding our organs), the body needs time to readjust things on the inside. It also must readjust the chemical links between body and brain to reset our metabolic rate, adjust to the new caloric intake, etc. So yes, stalls are not only inevitable but also vital to the body's health and wellbeing.

Now, this also greatly depends on WHY you're stalled. If you know for a fact that you have followed your plan near perfect with very minimal to NO cheating, then it's a natural stall and likely nothing you do will help, just stick to your plan. If,however, you know there have been cheat days, or you've eaten larger portions than you should or you've been grazing on slider foods, etc...that's not a stall, that's you veering from your plan, go back to basics and get back on track.

If you know it's a natural stall and has been for more than two weeks, there are some things you can try to jumpstart the weight loss again. One of the simplest is to change up routines like whatever exercise routine you're into, do something different. Don't keep doing the same routine day after day expecting the same results, your body gets used to it so you must trick the body. Another is to change up your caloric intake. Let's say your plan has you at 1000 calories a day. Try doing only 700 one day then 1200 the next, then 800, 1100....get it? Figure what your intake should be for a full week then divide it up into those 7 days, altering between low and high days. There are some more advanced things that work also but I don't reccomend them until you're a year or more post-op, like Water fasts, OMAD, dry fasting, extended fasting..... For now though, until you're a year or more out. When you stall, give in a couple weeks for the body to make adjustments, if it doesn't go back to losing then try the two things I mentioned above. Don't let the scale get you depressed because we ALL know what happens when we're feeling down, we make poor decisions. When you first notice a stall, I suggest putting the scale up somewhere for at least a couple weeks, and simply go about your days following your plan. Good luck and keep your head up. Remember, you didn't gain all that weight over night, you're damn sure not going to lose it over night either. 😉

I have not cheated and I can't eat larger portions. I am eating at set times. No grazing. I can't even eat the amounts yet that my nutritionist wants me to eat. I do weight and measure all my food. I'm supposed to be up to 500 calories this week and I still cannot eat more than 350 no matter how much I try. I make sure to get my Water in. I still have to do a Protein water or half a shake to get my protein in. Hopefully next week I'll see a change.

1 hour ago, Gaylancsu said:

I also was supposed to promise not to weigh every day but I can’t stop- everyone’s weight loss is different and you are absolutely right about calories in and out that doesn’t apply to most obese people but our bodies are in a state of shock too right now. I met with dietician Monday and their point about the scale was this- these surgeries find that you lose the weight for the most part in the first year and you can’t lose a pound a day! Your body had to reset, trust that food is coming and changes will follow. I lost 8lb week 1 pre surgery diet and 13 total on that 2 weeks-I’m 3 weeks out from surgery and in those 3 have lost 11, most can’t keep the pace out the gate- and your body will react- it still takes time! Hang in there!!!!

I haven't been weighing daily although it is hard not to. I lost 1 pound over the course of a week. I lost 2 pounds over the course of the prior week. I don't expect to lose weight daily but over the course of 7 days I expected to lose more than 1 pound especially after the prior week of only 2. I know it's normal to stall but I think a lot of it is mental. I failed so many times before to lose weight.

On 06/26/2019 at 20:40, BulletWithButterflyWings said:

So my surgeon told me if things got worse to go to the nearest ER. Well I did and the ER dr said "are you sure you're supposed to be here? We dont have anyone who does gastric bypass" I'm super sick, weak, and having severe pains in my stomach. I hate some drs who dont want to help. Needless to say, I'm waiting on a CT and labs from a dr who thinks I dont know what I'm talking about. Hah

How are you feeling today? I hope it’s getting better

Hi I'm Kim surgery date June 10th is anyone having back pain around the middle to lower back on left hand side. It's uncomfortable to sit or stand to long.

Sent from my SM-N950W using BariatricPal mobile app

16 minutes ago, kimberlydpv said:

Hi I'm Kim surgery date June 10th is anyone having back pain around the middle to lower back on left hand side. It's uncomfortable to sit or stand to long.

Sent from my SM-N950W using BariatricPal mobile app

I had it for a few days...it was accompanied by nausea. It went away. Might have been something different.

I was limited to lifting 5 pounds for 2 weeks then up to 15 for the next two- so no lifting my 2 and 4 year old. A couple times I overdid it I could feel it- please be careful and call out your support system if you do injury you will be out of commission much much longer
Thank you for sharing your experience

mamasboys_vsg

You may also want to ask some of these questions of your surgeon and/or care team before your surgery. Hopefully they have spent some time preparing you before you head into this surgery? Any one experience here will very likely not be indicative of what your experience will be. I think we've all had vastly different journeys, even though we started out on similar paths. For instance, my recovery has been smooth, and has excelled when I've followed the instructions my team gave me (the only issues I've had were when I deviated from them). What's going on with our poor lovely BWBW is an exception and not the rule.
I was able to do stairs shortly after surgery, though I did have to take my time. I have had a hard time fitting in everything I've needed to - I've really had to work at it, but it eventually all gets in. It just takes all day
I have all the info that I need I am not trying to get the info from another patient I was just trying to get an experience of how much Water and Protein are able to take in maybe I post the incorrect questions thanks!

mamasboys_vsg

I would agree everyone’s experiences are different and some depends on surgery type. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital - when I went home I could do stairs no issue I hit Protein and fluid goals by day 3 or 4 with no issues) the time in the hospital they pumped me so full of fluids it took days to de-swell - my surgery was pretty invasive lapband removal hernia repair and ds, I was up walking by the evening of surgery it helps a lot with the gas- I was told I had to walk at least every 3 hours and more than just to bathroom- the gas pain took about a week - I never took my nausea meds once leaving the hospital managed daytime pain with Tylenol week 1 I took good stuff to sleep but stopped that after 6 days - haven’t needed Tylenol really past week 2- I feel like it’s gone great. I worked from home 2 weeks- my mom and my mil took turns staying with us to help with kids
Agree with you I'm trying to learn from the experience thanks

mamasboys_vsg

I am finally home day one I told them before surgery no pain meds the anesthesiologist told me I needed it before they wheeled me back it messed me up for the rest of the day I am super sensitive to pain meds so I would get dizzy and feel faint if I set up. By 5:30 on day one that wore off that nite I had pretty bad gas pains but Tylenol 3 helped with that also mixed with phenagran and then I got to come home yesterday not having any problems taking in fluids or my broth and I seem to be able to drink almost normal sips don’t know how normal that is
Which Tylenol are you be able to take for pain?

mamasboys_vsg

On 06/26/2019 at 20:40, BulletWithButterflyWings said:

So my surgeon told me if things got worse to go to the nearest ER. Well I did and the ER dr said "are you sure you're supposed to be here? We dont have anyone who does gastric bypass" I'm super sick, weak, and having severe pains in my stomach. I hate some drs who dont want to help. Needless to say, I'm waiting on a CT and labs from a dr who thinks I dont know what I'm talking about. Hah

Hope you’re doing better and found a competent dr.