Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've somehow gained 2 pounds in the last week. I'm averaging 1000 calories a day. Wasn't losing weight on 1500. Dropped to 1200 and lost a few pounds but stalled. Now this morning I'm back up to 292 after a week of stricter calorie and carb restriction. 🤦‍♀️

My biggest fear is I won't lose weight after surgery. I'm not on an all liquid diet right now but my surgery is still 3 weeks away and the nutritionist told me they don't require one. I am doing a Protein Shake at Breakfast and then a healthy snack and two meals. Probably going to start doing two Protein Shakes and no Snacks next week. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm scheduled for June 5th. As the date gets closer, I get more and more nervous. I'm making a list of questions to ask when I go see the surgeon again in 2 weeks. The list is getting longer. I'm not looking forward to the pre diet, but I'm prepared. Got a case of Protein Shakes and planned out my 1 meal a day that I can have. I think I'm mostly paranoid about forming clots. I don't know why...I've never had an issue with it before, and I plan to move around a lot afterwards. My doctor said that the more movement, the faster the pain goes away. My wife got me a fitbit thing, and I can set an alarm to remind me to get moving again. Sad that I need that. So, between that and the fact that my teeth are suddenly having issues, I've got a lot on my mind. Anyways, good luck to everyone.

22 hours ago, starladustangel said:

I've somehow gained 2 pounds in the last week. I'm averaging 1000 calories a day. Wasn't losing weight on 1500. Dropped to 1200 and lost a few pounds but stalled. Now this morning I'm back up to 292 after a week of stricter calorie and carb restriction. 🤦‍♀️

My biggest fear is I won't lose weight after surgery. I'm not on an all liquid diet right now but my surgery is still 3 weeks away and the nutritionist told me they don't require one. I am doing a Protein Shake at Breakfast and then a healthy snack and two meals. Probably going to start doing two Protein Shakes and no Snacks next week. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Could it be a hydration issue? My body tends to hang on to some excess Water weight on days that I have not been drinking enough water...

Also, one thing my program has reiterated over and over again (even making us repeat it out loud!) is that plateaus will happen, and that if you just keep doing what you're supposed to be doing, the weight will come off. If you find yourself stuck in a major plateau, then maybe bring some food logs into your nutritionist?

Thankfully you have a group of people in this post who are in the same boat as you - we're all in this together!

8 minutes ago, Stitches78 said:

I'm scheduled for June 5th. As the date gets closer, I get more and more nervous. I'm making a list of questions to ask when I go see the surgeon again in 2 weeks. The list is getting longer. I'm not looking forward to the pre diet, but I'm prepared. Got a case of Protein Shakes and planned out my 1 meal a day that I can have. I think I'm mostly paranoid about forming clots. I don't know why...I've never had an issue with it before, and I plan to move around a lot afterwards. My doctor said that the more movement, the faster the pain goes away. My wife got me a fitbit thing, and I can set an alarm to remind me to get moving again. Sad that I need that. So, between that and the fact that my teeth are suddenly having issues, I've got a lot on my mind. Anyways, good luck to everyone.

Based on my own personal experience, it sounds like your doc is spot on. If you're getting up and moving right after surgery, even if you really don't want to, it will help! I had an abdominal surgery two years ago (not WLS-related, and also emergency, so I was completely unprepared), and they had me up and moving several hours after surgery, despite lots of protests from me... but I'm so grateful they did, especially after I learned about the risks of clots. But when I woke up from surgery, they also had these cuffs around my legs that would help circulate blood for me while I was immobile (almost like blood pressure cuffs), so maybe your facility will have those as well.

I think the Fitbit will help too - it provides a good motivation to get up and move! And I too need reminders to move, you're not alone there...

Yesterday my nutritionist and health psychologist approved me to move forward with surgery, so I got assigned a tentative surgery date of June 11th. I'm so excited!! I'm really fortunate that my insurance apparently does not tend to deny people who go through this particular program, but I'm still a bit anxious about that nonetheless.

liquid diet will be starting for me the day after Memorial Day... I feel ready for it, and have no plans to do much "last suppering", as it were. I'm so ready for this!

2 minutes ago, Caltania said:

Based on my own personal experience, it sounds like your doc is spot on. If you're getting up and moving right after surgery, even if you really don't want to, it will help! I had an abdominal surgery two years ago (not WLS-related, and also emergency, so I was completely unprepared), and they had me up and moving several hours after surgery, despite lots of protests from me... but I'm so grateful they did, especially after I learned about the risks of clots. But when I woke up from surgery, they also had these cuffs around my legs that would help circulate blood for me while I was immobile (almost like blood pressure cuffs), so maybe your facility will have those as well.

I think the Fitbit will help too - it provides a good motivation to get up and move! And I too need reminders to move, you're not alone there...

I was also looking at compression stockings to help out. But, I think I'm just looking for things to scare myself. I get real nervous before anything big happens...even when I go on vacation. I was a mechanic for several years, and I was always moving. Then I got moved into an office job, and I find myself being less mobile. I think I put on 15 pounds after they moved me. So yeah, movement is very important all around. Good thing I have two dogs who won't let me sit around all day. They'll love all the extra walks.

Yesterday my nutritionist and health psychologist approved me to move forward with surgery, so I got assigned a tentative surgery date of June 11th. I'm so excited!! I'm really fortunate that my insurance apparently does not tend to deny people who go through this particular program, but I'm still a bit anxious about that nonetheless.

liquid diet will be starting for me the day after Memorial Day... I feel ready for it, and have no plans to do much "last suppering", as it were. I'm so ready for this!

Fantastic! I seem to be the only person who only has to do the diet for a week. Lucky me.

10 minutes ago, Stitches78 said:

I was also looking at compression stockings to help out. But, I think I'm just looking for things to scare myself. I get real nervous before anything big happens...even when I go on vacation. I was a mechanic for several years, and I was always moving. Then I got moved into an office job, and I find myself being less mobile. I think I put on 15 pounds after they moved me. So yeah, movement is very important all around. Good thing I have two dogs who won't let me sit around all day. They'll love all the extra walks.

Office jobs are notoriously awful in terms of being sedentary... 😝 The Fitbit reminders will really help you with that I think too. They're a good chance to refill your Water, get a shake, take a walk around the building or block, etc. And dogs will be a huge help too! My cats on the other hand... they're exceptionally de-motivational. They get angry with me whenever I do so much as shift positions, ha ha!

Office jobs are notoriously awful in terms of being sedentary... 😝 The Fitbit reminders will really help you with that I think too. They're a good chance to refill your Water, get a shake, take a walk around the building or block, etc. And dogs will be a huge help too! My cats on the other hand... they're exceptionally de-motivational. They get angry with me whenever I do so much as shift positions, ha ha!

Yeah, the cats are pretty useless. I have one who likes to come up and sit right next to me, then look at me and yell at me for 20 minutes.

11 minutes ago, Stitches78 said:

Fantastic! I seem to be the only person who only has to do the diet for a week. Lucky me.

I'm sure you'll get your fair share of liquid diet post-op as well though 😉 Right now, for me, I figure it's 4-6 weeks between pre- and post-op that I'm stuck getting my nutrition from a cup... pureed food is going to seem like a godsend!

Hello everyone! I started my journey in March with initial consultation. I was right on the border of 39 BMI weighing 240 and 5'6". No health risks. I was facing my 60th birthday May 2nd and did not want to take a chance of poor health after 60. I am a social worker who serves drug exposed infants. The stress and overwhelming workload has contributed to my weight gain.

I jumped in with support group, record transfers, nutritionist, psych eval all within the first two weeks. My doctor requires a endoscopy prior to the sleeve which I had this morning. Thank gooddness everything was normal! I have been approved and my surgery is June 11th! I am so excited but a little concerned with loose skin and aging. I keep trying to convince myself longevity is first and foremost!

I enjoy reading your personal experiences!

5 minutes ago, Ladyleese said:

Hello everyone! I started my journey in March with initial consultation. I was right on the border of 39 BMI weighing 240 and 5'6". No health risks. I was facing my 60th birthday May 2nd and did not want to take a chance of poor health after 60. I am a social worker who serves drug exposed infants. The stress and overwhelming workload has contributed to my weight gain.

I jumped in with support group, record transfers, nutritionist, psych eval all within the first two weeks. My doctor requires a endoscopy prior to the sleeve which I had this morning. Thank gooddness everything was normal! I have been approved and my surgery is June 11th! I am so excited but a little concerned with loose skin and aging. I keep trying to convince myself longevity is first and foremost!

I enjoy reading your personal experiences!

Ladyleese,

Welcome to the JuneBunch. 😄 I have a series of fun adventures lined up next week. I will be back to post the updates. Monday, I have my preop workshop, etc. And then on Thursday, it's my run through with the Doc. I had sold myself on Gastric Bypass but after reading a few posts am leaning toward the sleeve. Decisions, decisions, decisions.............So I will ask the doctor what he recommends. Anyways, welcome and I am sure you will be just fine. I had a college buddy who was a social worker but soon changed careers after the stressful caseload. And now she is teaching.......go figure. From one stressful career to another.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:56 AM, Purpledva said:

Congratulations Riley 🌝 I am slated for the 3rd just a day before you. Good Luck to you!!!

Thank you so much! Good luck to you too! ☺️

17 hours ago, Caltania said:

Could it be a hydration issue? My body tends to hang on to some excess Water weight on days that I have not been drinking enough water...

Also, one thing my program has reiterated over and over again (even making us repeat it out loud!) is that plateaus will happen, and that if you just keep doing what you're supposed to be doing, the weight will come off. If you find yourself stuck in a major plateau, then maybe bring some food logs into your nutritionist?

Thankfully you have a group of people in this post who are in the same boat as you - we're all in this together!

Maybe. I drink a lot but it's been warm

20 hours ago, Caltania said:

Congrats sweetheart!!!! Soooo happy for you!!! I have gained like 5 lbs this month I think because I changed my reading habits when I found out i had diabetes and did so well they took but now that I'm off of them all ive been doing is eating. Starting my new diet goal tomorrow then doing a 4 week liquid diet to make sure I can do this