Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 6/10/2019 at 11:18 AM, grl499 said:

Did anyone not lose that much weight during their preop diet?

I’m on day 5 of 10 of a 5 shakes/day diet and I’ve only lost 4.6 lb! I have my pre op testing tomorrow and am worried what they’ll say, esp. b/c people here seem to lose 10-15 lb (or more!) in the typical 2 weeks 😱

Part of me is a bit disappointed too, b/c a bigger loss pre op seems like a good kickstart to the whole process?

You get 5 shakes a day? I only get 3 :( but I've been doing 3 shakes, a cup of Bone Broth, and sf popsicles or Jello if things get tough. I havent weighed myself so I'm not sure how much I've lost.

Yeah even without weighing you know you are implanting good habits for your future. Hoping when you do weigh, a happy surprise will be there!

3 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Yeah even without weighing you know you are implanting good habits for your future. Hoping when you do weigh, a happy surprise will be there!

I sure hope so :) only 7 days left!!!! Yayyyyy y'all

On 6/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, grl499 said:

Did anyone not lose that much weight during their preop diet?

I’m on day 5 of 10 of a 5 shakes/day diet and I’ve only lost 4.6 lb! I have my pre op testing tomorrow and am worried what they’ll say, esp. b/c people here seem to lose 10-15 lb (or more!) in the typical 2 weeks 😱

Part of me is a bit disappointed too, b/c a bigger loss pre op seems like a good kickstart to the whole process?

Hi grl499,

i too expected more of a weight loss on the Optifast than what I’ve seen and I was worried about what they’d say at my pre-op appointment.

They weighed me at one of my first appointments back in January, and I fluctuated in weight up and down about 3-4 pounds throughout the intake process. When I started the optifast, I was actually 4 pounds heavier than my first weigh in. I’ve been on optifast now for 10 days. Days 1 and 2 were rough as I couldn’t swallow them without gagging and it took me almost a week before I could consistently get 4 shakes down in a day. I’ve never had a day with more than 1000 calories (sf Jello, cucumbers, and broth make up my only other foods I’ve eaten), and some of those early days I couldn’t even get in or keep down 750 calories. I’ve not cheated at all. And I’ve walked at least 20 minutes a day. And I’m drinking Water like never before

When I went for my pre-op appointment today, I was only down 3 pounds (from my Jan weigh in), but 7 pounds from the day I started optifast (though they never weighed me when I started They didn’t say a word about it though. Not one comment about my weight loss or progress.

Still, I felt disappointed as I was expecting more of a loss on these shakes. Was that an unrealistic expectation of me?

How did your pre-op appointment go? When is your surgery? Mine is on June 21. 4 more days of optifast, then 2 days of clear fluids.

Hey logo,

I totally understand! I fluctuated in weight over my weight management appts, and ended up weighing the same at my pre op appt. as I did on my last weight management one 😅 At the time, I was actually 7 pounds down from the beginning of my liquid diet, b/c I gained a bit weight on a 3 week vacation in Central Europe (but of course I didn’t tell my surgeon that!)

I typically drank 3-4 shakes a day, 2 cups of broth, and some SF Jello and popsicles, for around 500- 600 calories a day - enough to be losing *some* weight you’d think?

My surgery was actually yesterday morning and I just got home! I was a bit worried b/c I had started my period a couple days before and was retaining Water like I usually do, so I actually weighed in a couple more pounds than I did at my prep appt (242 vs. 240) - no one said anything and my surgery went perfectly! Even with all the swelling and the massive amounts of Fluid they pumped in me, when I weighed at home this afternoon, I came out to be 234 and some change.

I would say don’t worry so much, b/c it’s basically guaranteed that you’ll lose weight after surgery (minus a couple pounds you might initially gain due to the IV fluids). I was worried my preop results were a negative prediction for my post op ones, but it doesn’t look like an issue at all! If you know you’re doing everything right, keep at it and you’ll eventually reap the benefits 😊

Hello lovelies- I am post op day 4 almost 5 and still In the hospital. Probably will be a few days before I can go home. The first night I was here, I wanted to sit up in the chair and when they helped me my bp bottomed at 85/40 and my hgb went down to 7.5 and my hct went down to 21. Needless to say they have spent the last 3 days trying to get my levels stable before they will send me home. My drain kept filling up and I just felt horrid. Today was the first day I felt anything remotely towards normal. I was watching the food network earlier and I NEVER watch that channel and everything looked so yummy, but I was not the least bit hungry. I have been drinking my Water, tea, juice and today I had a popsicle. I am OVER orange Jello though 😊I am typing this at 11:30 pm- I am so excited to be back in my own bed to resume this journey. I hope all of my June surgeries peeps are faring well ❤️

On 06/11/2019 at 19:58, BulletWithButterflyWings said:

You get 5 shakes a day? I only get 3 :( but I've been doing 3 shakes, a cup of Bone Broth, and sf popsicles or Jello if things get tough. I havent weighed myself so I'm not sure how much I've lost.

I get unlimited shakes daily but I’m a dialysis nurse and I know what too much Protein can do to your kidneys. So....... no. Lol.

21 hours ago, KareBear714 said:

I get unlimited shakes daily but I’m a dialysis nurse and I know what too much Protein can do to your kidneys. So....... no. Lol.

That's what our nutritionist told us. She said anything over 120 grams is pushing your kidneys too hard and can cause kidney failure or damage.

Hello lovelies- I am post op day 4 almost 5 and still In the hospital. Probably will be a few days before I can go home. The first night I was here, I wanted to sit up in the chair and when they helped me my bp bottomed at 85/40 and my hgb went down to 7.5 and my hct went down to 21. Needless to say they have spent the last 3 days trying to get my levels stable before they will send me home. My drain kept filling up and I just felt horrid. Today was the first day I felt anything remotely towards normal. I was watching the food network earlier and I NEVER watch that channel and everything looked so yummy, but I was not the least bit hungry. I have been drinking my Water, tea, juice and today I had a popsicle. I am OVER orange Jello though [emoji4]I am typing this at 11:30 pm- I am so excited to be back in my own bed to resume this journey. I hope all of my June surgeries peeps are faring well [emoji173]️
Goodness! Glad you are on the mend. Sounds like a rough start.

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi!

I am 41 years old, have a fantastic, supportive hubby, and two beautiful teens (is that even possible?). I had RnY on June 18th, and surgery went well. I escaped the hospital the day after surgery, and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of pain. I stopped my pain meds the day after surgery, and then stopped Tylenol 4 days post op. The first few days were tough-- just so tired-- but each day gets better than the last.

I'm REALLY struggling to drink enough Water. I freakin. hate. water. Cold water hurts, so I started drinking room temp (yuk), and today's 'trick' is to drink hot water with herbal tea in it to try to get it in.

Anyone have any tips to get the water down?