Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just told by my cardiologist that I should consider bariatric surgery. What was the deciding factor for you? I am worried about side effects and I hear it’s a long process to be approved by insurance. I would love to hear how everyone got started on their journeys. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, dancinagain said:

I was just told by my cardiologist that I should consider bariatric surgery. What was the deciding factor for you? I am worried about side effects and I hear it’s a long process to be approved by insurance. I would love to hear how everyone got started on their journeys. Thanks.

Take this advice to Heart

a lot of people don't have side effects from the surgery and for those who do, most are minor. The biggest side effect of my staying morbidly obese would be not living to see my 60th birthday.

I chose the sleeve because I have spent the last 20 years of my life dieting, failing, dieting, failing...I'm just over it. I've tried everything and nothing was sustainable. I was in a severe head on collision in 2/2007 which left me with a lot of pain. I'm ultra-sensitive to narcotics so I refuse to take any opioid, basically I just suffer. The weight makes it worse. I don't look like I weigh what I do and I get a lot of side looks from people when I mention surgery but I don't care. I was recently diagnosed with a few cardiac conditions and weight loss will help all of them. I try to be active ( I have a hubby, 17 yr old son, 6 year old son and a 2 year old Rottweiler so I don't have a choice). Another main reason, and probably the nail in the coffin, so to speak, is looking at my genetics. My blood family (other than my children) are obese. The only ones who are not have either had WLS or have already died (most of them who have died were in their 40s-50s) and I don't want to join them. I want to see my boys grow up and have families of their own. We all have our own why...it's up to you to find yours. Also, my insurance requires 6 months of supervised diet visits, comorbidities because my BMI is under 40 and psych eval. My surgeon has his own requirements but all are in my best interest and meant to provide me with the best possible outcome. I'd start by calling your insurance company and finding out what the criteria are or if they even cover it. You can also attend a seminar at a weight loss clinic (they're free) and they will help you determine what your insurance required. Best wishes. ❤️

P.S. I haven't had surgery yet. I have a cardiology appt this week because I failed my EKG and I'm hoping he will give me clearance when I'm there. I've met all of the other requirements. Next step is submitting for approval and waiting for my date.

Edited by LLaneRN

I have always been overweight and have a history of it in my family but the biggest reasons why I decided to have weight loss surgery was because right before I begin to work out for the thousandth of times thinking I was going to do another diet plan to lose weight. I got severely injured at work and then before that was a car wreck after all these things took place it limited me being able to exercise and do different things I want to do to try to lose weight and so one day my knee doctor suggested doing weight loss because I was too young to have all these issues especially knee problems. I'm like I agree im too young to have problems like this that stem from injuries but couldn't properly heal because of weight and I work with kids on a regular basis so I'm here to tell you if they're suggesting it to you research it look into it ,if you are faith-based person pray about it and get a second opinion but at the end of the day you make the right choice for you don't let anybody else choose for you you make that decision for youself definitely take heed to the advice if they are giving it. I'm glad I did it most importantly I'm glad I did it for me! I wish you well on journey!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

My PCP recommended this because she helped me try everything else and watched me fail. This was kind of a "last resort" for me. That was last July of 2018. The surgery was in late March of this year, but I have to tell you, if I didn't have that long process in between, I probably wouldn't have done it. I had to get mentally ready and I needed all 8 months to get there.

So, flash forward to earlier this month, I lost 40 lbs during the 6 months of nutrition classes and preop diet, then another 10 a week after surgery. I went to a follow up with my PCP and I cannot tell you how happy she was for me. I've been going to the same Dr for 20 years now and I've never spent as much time with her as I did this last visit and the whole time she spent praising me on my hard work and success so far. That gave me some real motivation to keep this going and to put in the work needed to maintain the loss progression.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide.

My reasons... numbers 1, 2, & 3.

After dealing with blood pressure issues and Type 2 diabetes for too long, I decided that if I wanted to grow old with my husband and be around (with all my limbs intact) for my wee-lings' graduations, weddings, lives I needed to do something bigger and better than what I had been doing.

20170912_195914.jpg

One year ago this week I was sitting in my doctors office, weighing nearly 300 lbs, sobbing. I had sleep apnea, severe Migraines, and my body hurt. I was only 37 but I felt like I was an old lady. Today, I’m 115 lbs lighter, sleep apnea is gone and I am stronger and more confident then I have been in 15 years

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

On 4/14/2019 at 12:49 PM, dancinagain said:

https://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/

17 hours ago, MrsGamgee said:

My reasons... numbers 1, 2, & 3.

After dealing with blood pressure issues and Type 2 diabetes for too long, I decided that if I wanted to grow old with my husband and be around (with all my limbs intact) for my wee-lings' graduations, weddings, lives I needed to do something bigger and better than what I had been doing.

20170912_195914.jpg

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Forgot to add my story (too busy trying to be witty with puns)

I needed to lose weight REALLY SUPER FAST for a separate condition (long story posted... somewhere) and mama didn't raise no fool. I was not going to try a diet or be convinced that it would work as fast.

I decided in about a day to do it. Went to the seminar the next day, met with the Surgeon maybe 4 days later... I fast tracked the F out of the process (but took a 2 month vacation in between lol ... priorities 😳😭)

Nearly got tied up in the end by insurance paperwork submittal bureaucracy but keep on top of it and everyone... It was indeed a journey but worth it every step of the way

17 hours ago, NYJenn said:

One year ago this week I was sitting in my doctors office, weighing nearly 300 lbs, sobbing. I had sleep apnea, severe Migraines, and my body hurt. I was only 37 but I felt like I was an old lady. Today, I’m 115 lbs lighter, sleep apnea is gone and I am stronger and more confident then I have been in 15 years

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝