Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Regain - Need advice

Hi all

I haven’t been on this page in a long time but I need some help.

I had my sleeve surgery back in 2015 and accomplished every goal I wanted. Great weight loss, improved health, improved vitality, and best of all, I felt great about myself for the first time in years.

Here I am in 2019, not far from my annual follow up, and I feel HORRIBLE about myself. I have gained some weight back (not all, but enough to bother me).

I feel extremely embarrassed about it and I feel like I have failed myself. I thought I had been feeling tired & down lately because of stress, but I am almost positive I figured it out this weekend. It is my self esteem.

Anyone else been at this point and any advice on how to recover?

Edited by Vikingsfan8178

Hey there,

Spring is the perfect motivator for changing your diet or routine. I suggest cleaning out your pantry and refrigerator. Go right back to basics and join others doing something similar for camaraderie.

Here's a link to a current motivational challenge

Good luck! You can do this ! 💪💜

It might help to go to the nutritionist to get back on track. Be proud you are aware and want to nip it in the bud now. Good luck.

Good news is you know how to do this and have the tools to do it again. It's easy to fall back into old habits and start to gain again. I did twice in seven years, but both times I caught myself. I felt all the old feelings bubbling up and the unhappiness once again. But I also knew how great I could feel and got back on track. Go back to basics. I agree clean out the bad food and eat your Protein first and veggies. Watch for calories you are drinking too I've seen people drink too many calories. There is nothing stopping you from getting back on track one pound at a time. Beating yourself up more is pointless, changing your diet again is possible. You can do this! You haven't failed, it isn't over.

The weight regain between years 2-5 is a common phenomenon.

You know what to do. You simply must muster the will to motivate yourself into losing it again. Go back to the extreme basics of your "regular food" stage with all the rules. Start planning, logging, weighing, and measuring and make sure to hydrate and move! Walk at least!

Consider IF as well.

You can do it. Tackle it now.

I've also had some regain as well. My lowest weight was in the first year at 125 lbs. Year 2 and 3 I held steady between 130-35 and I was very happy with that weight. August will be my 4 year sleeveversary and I'm currently 139.2. I know it's only 4 pounds but I know that 4 can turn into 40 if I'm not careful. Trying to get back on track myself and stay focused. There have been so many changes since having my surgery and I want to get back on track and back to clean healthy eating that I know I should be doing.

Im STILL trying to lose regain from last year. It's coming off sloooow. Im hoping the constant movement from having 2 retail jobs will help lol. My choices aren't 100% great all the time but I'm definitely better than i was 6 months ago. Im still re-adjusting. Trying to get back into a rhythm with jobs, Vitamins, food and life. Essentially i want to get back to 140 so...30lbs. But... I'm 5'2 and would love to see myself at 120 or at least in a healthy bmi range. Back into obese class 1 at 170. So upset with myself. Sorry for the long rant i just have no one to talk to about these things. I'll be 3 years post OP in October and want to go to my 3 year visit since I never went to my 2yr. (Longer story). I was 152 1yr post so i want to do that at least so it looks like i maintained lol. Im a hot mess yall. Pray for me pls[emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 4/14/2019 at 10:05 AM, Vikingsfan8178 said:

feel HORRIBLE about myself. gained some weight back, feel like I have failed myself

@Vikingsfan8178

all advice above is great.

many OP lose weight, then for whatever reason, start to re-gain, then feel bad, then eat more and gain more weight. Vicious cycle, most of us have been there.😒

i would suggest finding a support group. you probably will find other VETS that can encourage

you, or more probably you will meet newbies, OP just starting - and they are optimistic - and that feeling

is contagious - remind yourself how terrific you were/and still are - it's hard, but you can/will get back

on that wagon -you remember that great feeling from before

realizing/admitting to yourself you have a problem/issue is half the battle.

keep reading the board, you'll get more inspiration, and hear OP struggles too. You are not alone,

remind/tell yourself that you are NOT a failure

we are all here to help each other☺️

good luck

kathy

On 4/14/2019 at 8:05 AM, Vikingsfan8178 said:

Hi all

I had my sleeve surgery back in 2015 and accomplished every goal I wanted. Great weight loss, improved health, improved vitality, and best of all, I felt great about myself for the first time in years.

Here I am in 2019, not far from my annual follow up, and I feel HORRIBLE about myself. I have gained some weight back (not all, but enough to bother me).

I feel extremely embarrassed about it and I feel like I have failed myself. I thought I had been feeling tired & down lately because of stress, but I am almost positive I figured it out this weekend. It is my self esteem.

As always I love kathy's @proud grammy perspective

The work does not end after goal.

Many of us have experienced the emotions that come along with a weight gain. Shame, guilt, depression and feeling we have failed. Self-esteem can take a big hit. This is one of the many mental battles with weight loss surgery.

Recovering can be counseling or reading books on manage stress/emotional eating and self-esteem. Topics on whatever issue you are working on...Would love to see a book club because most of us have these issues in common.

1 minute ago, Healthy_life2 said:

As always I love kathy's @proud grammy perspective

The work does not end after goal.

Many of us have experienced the emotions that come along with a weight gain. Shame, guilt, depression and feeling we have failed. Self-esteem can take a big hit. This is one of the many mental battles with weight loss surgery.

Recovering can be counseling or reading books on manage stress/emotional eating and self-esteem. Topics on whatever issue you are working on...Would love to see a book club because most of us have these issues in common.

You should start one here. I'd join!

6 hours ago, ProudGrammy said:

@Vikingsfan8178

all advice above is great.

many OP lose weight, then for whatever reason, start to re-gain, then feel bad, then eat more and gain more weight. Vicious cycle, most of us have been there.😒

i would suggest finding a support group. you probably will find other VETS that can encourage you, or more probably you will meet newbies, OP just starting - and they are optimistic - and that feeling is contagious - remind yourself how terrific you were/and still are - it's hard, but you can/will get back on that wagon -you remember that great feeling from before

realizing/admitting to yourself you have a problem/issue is half the battle.

keep reading the board, you'll get more inspiration, and hear OP struggles too. You are not alone,

remind/tell yourself that you are NOT a failure

we are all here to help each other☺️

good luck

kathy

19 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I would 💜 a book club too!

On 4/14/2019 at 8:05 AM, Vikingsfan8178 said:

Hi all

@Vikingsfan8178

So much in common...

VSG on 7/12/15 391 lbs presurgery / 362 lbs day of surgery / 220 goal weight and attained 214 lbs just before 1yr mark. Life was good for 3 solid years. Last year I lost my job, was unemployed for 4 months, found a good job that had a very intense 6 month training program - the last 12 months has been VERY stressful - Yes I fell off the wagon. It actually started when I got kidney stones - was told to ease off the Protein, then a few months later I got gout for the first time in my life (im 41) on my right big toe - wow that is painful - again told to ease off protein.

Here I am 4 years and 6 days post op and have many of the feelings described above. Today I called and made an appointment with the nutritionist. I am currently 280 lbs. I am still down a ton of weight but I feel like Sh*t. The sole reason I came back to this forum is for the support described above - I feel and see my weight but those around me dont feel like its a big deal, gained almost all of it in the past year - very discouraging.

I still have restriction, the tool is not gone. One regular plate of food and I am almost always full - which wasn't the case pre surgery. I will be doing the 5 day reset then going from there. Keep your head up - you (we) can do it!