Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wrapping My Brain Around My Post-Op Diet

My surgery is fast approaching and being who I am (a planner to the enth degree), I'm trying to understand what I might need to have on hand for my post-op diet.

My RD and nurse have advised me that I will be on full fluids for about two weeks and then on to soft foods. I know that full fluids means that it has to be able to pass through a fine mesh strainer. What is causing me confusion is that the food list includes things like applesauce, s/f pudding, and cream of wheat/oatmeal.

Why is it that so many carb heavy things are listed for my first foods? Is it because they're basically slider foods and won't stay in my pouch long? I know that my #1 job will be to stay hydrated, but I'm a bit flummoxed on the food side of things.

I am definitely planning on asking more questions about this at my last appointment before surgery, but I thought I would ask here too as the question has been nagging at me.

I did a lot of cottage cheese and yogurt. I wasn’t allowed oatmeal or other carb heavy things

36 minutes ago, MrsGamgee said:

My surgery is fast approaching and being who I am (a planner to the enth degree), I'm trying to understand what I might need to have on hand for my post-op diet.

My RD and nurse have advised me that I will be on full fluids for about two weeks and then on to soft foods. I know that full fluids means that it has to be able to pass through a fine mesh strainer. What is causing me confusion is that the food list includes things like applesauce, s/f pudding, and cream of wheat/oatmeal.

Why is it that so many carb heavy things are listed for my first foods? Is it because they're basically slider foods and won't stay in my pouch long? I know that my #1 job will be to stay hydrated, but I'm a bit flummoxed on the food side of things.

I am definitely planning on asking more questions about this at my last appointment before surgery, but I thought I would ask here too as the question has been nagging at me.

Surgeons plan all look different. All I can suggest is follow your plan. Get clarifiaction if you need it. You will be concentrating on hitting your protien goal.(60 to 100 grams)

As noted above, programs vary all over the place. Quite commonly, "full" liquids frequently include a lot of sloppy mushy foods that don't necessarily fit through a strainer - puddings, yogurt, Jello, etc. Go by how your program defines things rather than someone else's (my program just put all the liquids, mushes, purees and other soft things into one phase and we could move around between all of them as our tolerances allowed, so I never got into distinguishing between "full liquids'', purees, soft Proteins, etc.)

Things like oatmeal, cream of wheat, apple sauce, etc. are classics in the bariatric world and have been a part of early diets for many years, so that is nothing that is going to adversely affect your overall weight loss results; they may not be something that one wants to continue later on, but they do serve a purpose early on when the menu is fairly limited and one is just working to find something that goes down easily, The carbohydrate aspect of some of these foods does have some benefit despite their being contrary to many of the currently popular diets in the mainstream dieting world. They do provide useful energy at a time when we are often sapped for energy in the early post-op days (indeed, I have seen references to some surgeons who specifically want their patients to do some "carb loading" early after surgery for the same reason that marathoners often "carb load" before an event - there's good energy in there. It is not unusual to hear of people reporting that they were dragging and fatigued for weeks after surgery and just chalked it up to it being major surgery - but they were usually the ones who were diligently avoiding "carbs" because that is what one is supposed to do to lose weight (right?) That's not to say that one should be loading up on chips and Twinkies, but have a bit of faith in your program - they have likely been doing this a while and know how things work.

Of course, with your diabetic concerns, one needs to be careful, but your RD should be able to work through the appropriate compromises for you.

Thank you so much for all your input. You have given me lots to consider and I will have better questions for my RD. I trust my program... I know it works. Just attempting to understand the whys and wherefores.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app