Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet and headaches :(

Hey everyone...I’m finishing up day 2 of my liquid diet and have had killer headaches by the end of the day yesterday and today. Does this go away once your body adjusts?

I have terrible Migraines already...not liking this headache either.

Do any of the liquids youre drinking have sugar in them? If they are all completely sugar free you are likely going through sugar detox and headaches are a common symptom. The headaches should go away in a couple days or you can add a little sugar back into your diet.

@KCgirl061

I haven't been totally sugar free...but I didn't have any caffeine yesterday so that may have been the cause. Hoping it's just my body adjusting! :)

I was going to ask about the caffeine piece... Your body is detoxing from sugar, from caffeine, etc. There are going to be side effects.

I haven't had any headaches, but I'm not a big coffee drinker and I cut out coke zero a few weeks ago. The thing that's driving me nuts is a serious craving for meat, red meat in particular. Last week I wanted junk food, this week all I can think about is Protein. So crazy.

Day3 on liver shrinking diet and headache is kind of getting better. Hunger is the monster that is killing me today.

we are going to get through this and have so much to show for it.

good luck and happy hydration everyone!

2 minutes ago, Emilia Danciu said:

Day3 on liver shrinking diet and headache is kind of getting better. Hunger is the monster that is killing me today.

we are going to get through this and have so much to show for it.

good luck and happy hydration everyone!

You can do it! Good Luck!

Yes...no headache for me on day three but the hunger pains are real. I’m on 3 shakes and one sensible meal. I had some salad for dinner...salad had never tasted so good! Lol! I think I miss crunching on food!

On 4/11/2019 at 9:08 PM, Emmy J said:

Hey everyone...I’m finishing up day 2 of my liquid diet and have had killer headaches by the end of the day yesterday and today. Does this go away once your body adjusts?

I have terrible Migraines already...not liking this headache either.

It's the worst, I got mine the week three of the pre-op diet. What helped me was propel Water, and A LOT of fluids!

Caffeine withdrawal is torture. I get terrible Migraines too. MalAlt does wonders for them. I started detoxing myself off of caffeine a month ago. I gave up soda a year ago but plain ole black coffee is a huge vice for me. It's hard being an RN and not drinking coffee but I'm trying to make Decaf work. 😖

Day 14 of my pre-op diet... 32 more days to go. The weightloss has been good, almost 11 pounds so far, but I've been stuck for the last 3 days. Hoping that it's just PMS that has me stalled. The gassiness and Constipation is no joke though.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

32 more days MrsGamgee? That’s a long time. Thank goodness mine is only 1.5 weeks! Tomorrow I’m starting 5 shakes a day and no meals. 😬 Drinking lots of Water has helped with the headaches. According to my scale at home I’m down 8 pounds since Wednesday.

32 more days MrsGamgee? That’s a long time. Thank goodness mine is only 1.5 weeks! Tomorrow I’m starting 5 shakes a day and no meals. [emoji51] Drinking lots of Water has helped with the headaches. According to my scale at home I’m down 8 pounds since Wednesday.
Yes, it's a long pre-OP diet. Because of a side effect of one of my diabetes meds I have struggled to lose the 10% my surgeon requested before surgery. My RD and doc agreed that a longer focus on liquids (3 Glucerna, 300 cal fruit and veg Snacks, 1 500 cal meal/day) will do more work to shrink my liver. Originally it was going to be 4 weeks of Optifast with no solids. When I was able to lose a little after they changed my gliclizide dosage, the diet became 4 weeks with the Glucerna and 2 weeks of optifast. Given how successful the first week went they changed it again to 6 weeks of Glucerna.

I've actually been able to cut my hbp meds in half, and I'm completely off the gliclizide already (still on metformin and jardiance). The results are keeping me motivated, even though the scale hasn't moved in a few days.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm on day 2 also, got the headache. It feels like when I did Keto. Withdrawal from sugar is hard but I know itll pass in a few days.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I thought I would never be able to get off of caffeine before I had the surgery, but it wasn't until I got my PAP machine in February that I was able to do so because I was getting so much better sleep. After getting through the horrible withdrawal symptoms of quitting caffeine, I don't even miss it anymore. My body actually tells me now when I'm tired, unlike before when I just picked a time to go to bed because I was so wired up all hours of the day.

If you're not sleeping well to start, quitting caffeine before your surgery is going to be a real b*tch, sorry.

Good luck to you!

Remember there are other factors it could be. Seasonal allergies and changing of weather cause many people to have headaches.