Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My biggest fear was death, and it didn't happen. LOL! I never had the first complication, pain, problem or anything, so it can be possible for surgery to go off without a hiccup.
Hahaha you're truly a character...thanks for the laugh & sharing your experience with wls...which wls surgery did you had done?

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

26 minutes ago, shanshan said:

Hahaha you're truly a character...thanks for the laugh & sharing your experience with wls...which wls surgery did you had done?

Sleeve, VSG, 4 months ago today, 12/11/18

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Most people feel fear before a major surgery.
At your stage, I would recommend three things, if you haven't done them already.
1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.
2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.
Thank you james .Yes I started walking 30mins to 1hour a day, wasn't a big fan of caffeine beverages but sugary stuff like candy which I'm slowly weaning myself off. My cousin will be here the day before surgery so I'll ask her to take a few before pics. Best wishes to you as well on your journey.

I'm 5 weeks away from my surgery, and the anxiety seems to swing in every three or four days. The surgery itself doesn't scare me, but the anesthesia does. Along with post-op pain and/or complications. But the fears I used to have about dying of a heart attack before I turn 45 or ending up with needing a limb amputated due to diabetes are slowly fading into the background.

Gosh Shanshan, I'm so sorry, I will pray 🙏it all clears up for you! Eye infections are not a FUN thing to HAVE!

My biggest fear was the anesthesia not working on me and not being able to have the surgery. My other fear was not waking up after the surgery and this was my 3rd surgery I’ve had in my lifetime. My fears didn’t come true and I am doing pretty well post op

My biggest fear was the anesthesia not working on me and not being able to have the surgery. My other fear was not waking up after the surgery and this was my 3rd surgery I’ve had in my lifetime. My fears didn’t come true and I am doing pretty well post op
Thanks for sharing & I'm glad none of your fears came through

On 04/10/2019 at 22:45, shanshan said:

Any fears before WLS? After? What did you fear the most. How did you overcome them? Did any actually come through? I'm so excited for this opportunity to change my life for the best but honestly I'm scared as hell. I reside in nyc have a great medical team working with me but still I'm scared. The closer I get to surgery date the more I think about it. Not knowing the outcome 5-10-20 years from now is killing me. I played out my life after surgery about a 100 different ways in my head. LOL I'm scared of the unknown.

HW 278 (three weeks ago)

CW 266.5

Surgery date 4/19

I was terrified of being under, on the day of surgery I knew this was what I wanted so i touched it out, the anesthesiologist gave me something to relax me and i fell asleep when I woke up I was in recovery. It’s been fairly easy so far no gas pains so far I just walk walk and walk. I’m only taking pain meds at night, sorry surgery was on April 9th. And as far as 20 years out, my mother and mother-in-law had the bypass in 2001 and 2003, both have maintained they’re weight and are healthy. One of the reasons I had the bypass, I watched my grandmother die at 69 from obesity related diseases and I did not want my children or grandchildren to endure the same pain. Everyone’s path is different just don’t do something because you are afraid of the unknown good luck in your journey!

HW 251
SW 238
CW 238

I was terrified of being under, on the day of surgery I knew this was what I wanted so i touched it out, the anesthesiologist gave me something to relax me and i fell asleep when I woke up I was in recovery. It’s been fairly easy so far no gas pains so far I just walk walk and walk. I’m only taking pain meds at night, sorry surgery was on April 9th. And as far as 20 years out, my mother and mother-in-law had the bypass in 2001 and 2003, both have maintained they’re weight and are healthy. One of the reasons I had the bypass, I watched my grandmother die at 69 from obesity related diseases and I did not want my children or grandchildren to endure the same pain. Everyone’s path is different just don’t do something because you are afraid of the unknown good luck in your journey!

HW 251
SW 238
CW 238
Wow glad to hear that your mom & mom in law is doing great. You're very lucky to have them at your side to guide you. And thank you so much for sharing

Well the only fear I had was going under anesthesia and not waking up. . . Ending in a coma or dying. But then I told my self that I can literally die any day and anytime before the surgery that’s life young people die babies die, old people, obese people and healthy people. We will all die at some point and no one knows when. The main reason I got over my fear was being extremely SLEEPY by God, I told the people at surgery room that if they don’t knock me out first I will knock out myself from sleepiness. . .zzzzz