Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still have not told my coworkers about surgery

Knowing how judgmental people can be and already having heard negative comments about WLS, I decided to keep my surgery very private, Coworkers are starting to comment on my weight loss now, however, and some have asked, "What are you doing?" My standard answer is truthful - that I have made some major lifestyle changes that have been ongoing for months and even years. I tell them that I have given up wheat, sugar, soda, alcohol, caffeine, artificial sweetners/colors, additives, and processed foods. I also tell them that I have stepped up my exercise a lot (which they see, because I wear my tracker and try to get as many steps in as I can during a work shift.) Usually by the time I get to the sugar or alcohol they sort of sigh and walk away.

I don't think I am being dishonest, as all these lifestyle changes are necessary for me to be ultimately successful, regardless if I had surgery or not. Anyone not willing to make substantial changes is not going to lose weight and keep it off, so I don't feel I need to go any further. WLS is just one more tool, but doesn't guarantee success by itself, as we all know. But I still feel a little guilty. What do you think?

No need to feel guilty. You don't owe an explanation or apology to anyone.

It's funny when people ask about your diet or what you're doing to lose weight. They glaze over because it's actual work.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

You are right - it IS work and there are no quick fixes, but everyone wants a gimmick. I was there, too. I never tried anything too radical - well, maybe starvation for 25 days was radical - but at the end of the day, it still boils down to hard work, excellent nutrition, Portion Control, and exercise.

I haven't told anyone at work either. I took 4 weeks off for "surgery" and only the department head knows -- none of my coworkers. I've got 2 more weeks before I return. I plan on saying that my doctor has me on a special diet and exercise program, which is the honest truth! Best wishes to you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I haven't even told my bosses. There is no need to know. I just said it was something that would benefit the overcoming of diabetes. And I will most likely be out 4 weeks. Done. Don't feel guilty. You need to guard your heart and mind against negativity. Point blank like said b4 you owe no one nothing. Do you boo!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I didn’t tell my co-workers. It’s my business. I don’t feel bad about it at all

I haven't told anyone at work and plan to keep it that way. All they know is that I am going on vacation. No need to feel guilty. They already see me drinking Protein Shakes and passing on the birthday cakes. At this point they probably assume I am on another extreme diet. lol.

your medical procedures are none of their business, and you're under no obligation to tell them. I didn't tell them about my colonoscopy, so.....

I told a few, the ones that I don’t mind knowing, but like everyone else is saying it’s none of their business. I had a friend get very mad at me for “ taking the easy way out” which is not true. So I have chose to keep it to my self since then.. it’s for ME, not them.. I am doing this for me and my health..

I haven’t told many people who are close to me let alone co-workers because they were quite negatively opinionated about WLS. After a while people get use to seeing you smaller and they stop asking questions. My go to answer is I have several digestive issues that I’ve been diagnose with and can’t eat a lot of things. Not long after I was told I was pre-diabetic and had severe gluten sensitivity, that I had my bypass. So people are ok with my answer and move on. I’m headed into 2 years and people are over my weight loss.

All of my friends and family members know but my coworkers and bosses do not. I was very vague when they asked about my medical leave. Some kept pressing, so I flat out lied about the type of procedure. I don't feel bad about it. It would be poor self-care to divulge my private medical history to people I don't feel that close to or comfortable knowing.

I have been very candid with coworkers and have addressed their concerns and misconceptions directly. Doing the research has helped me understand the process more thoroughly too.

Most of my coworkers are supportive. They have been patient with me through the caffeine withdrawal and blood sugar dips.

Still, it's my body and my choice... I feel no guilt or shame when I choose not to share (or intentionally evade questions).

I have been very candid with coworkers and have addressed their concerns and misconceptions directly. Doing the research has helped me understand the process more thoroughly too. Most of my coworkers are supportive. They have been patient with me through the caffeine withdrawal and blood sugar dips.

Sadly, my family has been more critical of my decision than any coworkers. Still, it's my body and my choice. I feel no guilt or shame when I choose not to share or intentionally evade questions.

Not everyone deserves your whole truth.

Exactly @jenifaoh.