Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering diet change

So...any advice? I'm leaning toward trying an ovo-lacto pescatarian diet. I'm six months post op next week. meats sit ok on my tummy but I don't like how I feel on such a meat heavy diet. I can only hold so much food so I feel like I get mostly meat and very little veg and fruit. I miss my plant based foods! I love fish and it never gives me issues. I'm a little worried about Protein intake. I've never done a diet like this before it just seems like it will make me feel good. I'm very accustomed to a low carb diet so this alone will raise the carbs I get just with the veggies and fruits. Any other vegetarian or pescatarian peeps post-vsg? I'd like to keep super processed foods to a minimum if possible.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

I can't necessarily tell you from experience, but before I was sleeved I did try something called a "nutritarian" diet by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It's largely plant-based and similar to a ovo-lacto pescatarian diet although his diet encouraged entirely plan-based and allows for occasional fish. I suppose you could take his basic premise and make what you need of it in terms of eggs, dairy, fish.

Sadly, I reverted back to some bad habits, hence the sleeve. BUT, while I was on it, I felt great! I highly recommend Dr. Fuhrman's books and nutrition plan. The one that got me started was "Eat to Live". Good luck!

I can't necessarily tell you from experience, but before I was sleeved I did try something called a "nutritarian" diet by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It's largely plant-based and similar to a ovo-lacto pescatarian diet although his diet encouraged entirely plan-based and allows for occasional fish. I suppose you could take his basic premise and make what you need of it in terms of eggs, dairy, fish.
Sadly, I reverted back to some bad habits, hence the sleeve. BUT, while I was on it, I felt great! I highly recommend Dr. Fuhrman's books and nutrition plan. The one that got me started was "Eat to Live". Good luck!
Awesome, thank you! I'll check it out

I'm a pescatarian. Before things went to **** (I felt great the first 2.5 months, the last 2.5 months I've been really sick), I was able to get all my Protein without land-based animals. I was routinely getting 70-80g protein/day. Some of my go-tos (again, when I was feeling well):

greek yogurt

cottage cheese (there is one that is higher protein)

ricotta bake

beans/lentils (although not a lot of protein here)

fish/shrimp

tofu

So, for example, I'd have the following:

B: egg (7g), small veggie sausage (9g) (sometimes with some salsa, guac and cheese)

L: ricotta bake (19g) with spinach

S: cheese or almonds (appx 7g)

😧 2-3 oz fish/shrimp (10-15g), about 40g of veg.

S: Fairlife Milk (13g)

Total: 65-70g (not including incidental protein from veg, etc)

I'm a pescatarian. Before things went to **** (I felt great the first 2.5 months, the last 2.5 months I've been really sick), I was able to get all my Protein without land-based animals. I was routinely getting 70-80g protein/day. Some of my go-tos (again, when I was feeling well):
greek yogurt
cottage cheese (there is one that is higher protein)
ricotta bake
beans/lentils (although not a lot of Protein here)
fish/shrimp
tofu

So, for example, I'd have the following:
B: egg (7g), small veggie sausage (9g) (sometimes with some salsa, guac and cheese)
L: ricotta bake (19g) with spinach
S: cheese or almonds (appx 7g)
2-3 oz fish/shrimp (10-15g), about 40g of veg.
S: Fairlife Milk (13g)
Total: 65-70g (not including incidental protein from veg, etc)

Thanks, this is super helpful information. I'm excited to try it. I hope you get to feeling better yourself soon! I appreciate you taking the time to give examples.

Also, if I found myself at the end of the day needing a bit more Protein, I'd make parmesan crusted fish/shrimp - helps with the protein. Or, I'd figure out how much protein I needed and get that many ounces of milk.

This is a great tilapia recipe, and really easy to cut down to small portions. I just froze the excess tomatoes in small portions and defrosted it when I needed it. https://www.bariatricfoodie.com/one-pan-cooking-tilapia-fire-roasted-tomato-sauce/

Also liked egg salad, sometimes tuna salad, parm chips with hummus, etc. The baked tofu you can get at the grocery can be eaten cold, so that's easy to take to work.

Also, if I found myself at the end of the day needing a bit more Protein, I'd make parmesan crusted fish/shrimp - helps with the Protein. Or, I'd figure out how much protein I needed and get that many ounces of milk.

This is a great tilapia recipe, and really easy to cut down to small portions. I just froze the excess tomatoes in small portions and defrosted it when I needed it. https://www.bariatricfoodie.com/one-pan-cooking-tilapia-fire-roasted-tomato-sauce/
Also liked egg salad, sometimes tuna salad, parm chips with hummus, etc. The baked tofu you can get at the grocery can be eaten cold, so that's easy to take to work.
I have never tried tofu. I feel new things coming! Maybe when I go to Chipotle I'll try their sofritas too!

THe sofritas at Chipotle are good, but salty.

Some people don't love tofu. I'd start with the baked/flavored types. Sometimes I stir fry them in a bit of some kind of sauce - curry, soy sauce, etc.

But you can also bake your own. At its core, its easy to do - press the Water out, marinate for a few minutes-an hour in something (soy sauce, thai chili sauce, BBQ Sauce, any one of a number of recipes on the internet), the bake for 20 minutes at 400. flip and bake for 15-20 mn more. Toss in whatever. Super easy and good.

I’ve recently started eating edamame spaghetti. Ridiculous amount of Protein per serving, and tastes like real Pasta to me. I have a shake for Breakfast once or twice a week, usually when I’m in a rush. I usually eat a cheese stick during the day and then nuts in the PM. I also eat a fair amount of lentils but need to get more creative with them.

I’ve been doing a thing where I don’t buy meat at the supermarket, I only buy it st restaurants. This is partly because I was buying and wasting too much meat, and partly because cooking it for one person was a lot of work for such a small meal (or I’d have to eat it for days). It’s worked out much better for me, and all of the plant-based Proteins I use somehow seem to get eaten faster or go off more slowly than animal protein.

I’ve recently started eating edamame spaghetti. Ridiculous amount of Protein per serving, and tastes like real Pasta to me. I have a shake for Breakfast once or twice a week, usually when I’m in a rush. I usually eat a cheese stick during the day and then nuts in the PM. I also eat a fair amount of lentils but need to get more creative with them.
I’ve been doing a thing where I don’t buy meat at the supermarket, I only buy it st restaurants. This is partly because I was buying and wasting too much meat, and partly because cooking it for one person was a lot of work for such a small meal (or I’d have to eat it for days). It’s worked out much better for me, and all of the plant-based Proteins I use somehow seem to get eaten faster or go off more slowly than animal Protein.
I must try this edamame spaghetti!!! Thanks for the info that helps