Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extremely rude nurse

I just my had surgery a few days ago and while I was at the hospital my mom and friend came to visit (both of them wear hijab). They went home and I took a nap and when I woke up my nurse was standing by my bed putting syringes into my iv and she asked me if the people that visited me were related to me and I told her they're my mom and friend. She started telling me how much she hated the islamic hijab and what it stands for and how she liked other religions veils but not the islamic one. Later, she became incredibly rude and aggressive with me. She was trying to show me how to give myself the blood thinner injection that i'm supposed to take when I go home. She put it in my hand and told me to do it now. I told her to give me a second because I had just woken up and was feeling groggy but she started telling me not to be a coward and to do it now. I told her ok I'm gonna do it just give me 1 second to breathe but she grabbed my hand and pushed the needle into me against my will.
Later, she told me she would go to lunch for 30 mins and come back to help me walk. I waited for an hour and a half and when she didn't come me and my mom, who had just arrived, went to walk by ourselves. We had walked for half an hour and just got back to my room when the nurse came back and started yelling at me and my mom because she thought I hadn't walked and have been waiting for her the whole time. I told her I just got back from walking but she didn't believe me and was yelling at my mom and saying that my mom is going to be the death of me because of how much she spoils me and doesn't make me do stuff and my mom was telling her that we just walked but the nurse wouldn't have it and kept on going and saying that it's all my moms fault and she can't trust her to take care of me at home and she started trying to pull me up from my chair to walk and I told her I couldnt i just walked and im in a lot of pain now and she started yelling at me and I was crying and telling her i cant and that my stomach and back and arm hurt a lot and she would keep telling me to stop crying and get up and that I'm too lazy. She made me get up and walk and after that I asked to be discharged right away and I left that day. Every time I remember that nurse I get so mad at what happened and wish I could've done something.
Am I right to be mad? Any suggestions on what I should do?

Report the nurse to the hospital. Be clear and succinct in your feedback as well what you would like to occur...eg cultural sensivity and/or patient-customer service training for the nurse etc.

I'm flabbergasted on your behalf. I think some sort of formal complaint to her supervisor or administration of the hospital is in order. I'm not sure what the process would be (sorry, I'm not much help), but this has to be addressed. I'm horrified that you and your family were treated in such a way.

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

Report her to hospital

Ohmyword. I’m so sorry you were treated so badly! She needs to be reported ASAP. This cannot be tolerated! My heart is aching for the emotional & physical pain you are in. What is wrong with people ?!?!?

I am so sorry you had to experience this kind of treatment at a time when you are at a vulnerable state. I had to help my son inject blood thinner and it is a very stressful and delicate process. Please report her, because she may cause another patient harm. Clearly she brought her bias to the workplace which is unfortunate and unacceptable.

Wishing you the best.

Call the hospital and ask to speak to the director of nursing. I cannot believe that she is getting away with it. Because you know that it is not just you that she’s treated that way, and will continue to do unless stopped!! At the very least, she should be fired and/or arrested for a hate crime.

Oh yes this should be reported. Start by simply calling the hospital and telling the operator that you have a complaint they should connect you to the proper department for doing so.

Hopefully you have the nurse's name and you can report her to the hospital administration calmly and in detail as to what happened during your stay.

Definitely report her - there should be a nurse manager that you can speak to, if you don't get a response I would then go to the hospital admin.

I’m so sorry to hear of this experience! How awful!

I have a hospital operations management background and you absolutely should report this discriminatory behavior. Most hospitals have a patient representative who take complaints such as this and thoroughly review the issue in a methodical way. These more flagrant issues are also reported to senior leadership so they’re aware. My suggestion is to check with the hospital and see if they have this type of person who can assist you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Report her to their medical board and your Surgeon. You just had a major surgery you definitely didn't need that extra trauma in your life. I pray your journey gets better throughout the process..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

There should be a patient liaison person at that hospital - give them a call. Her views on religion should not come in to her job. I'm really sorry that you were treated badly - she should not be doing that job if she can't keep her personal feelings out of it.

Amen Frou Frou! And I apologize for her insensitivity and please don't let her Mar a beautiful surgery and a wonderful recovery period. She seems envious of 2 ladies who are commited to their religion and have pride in the external trappings as well. I have friends of your religion along with my many Christian and Jewish ones, and each has enriched my life greatly. There is No Room for such actions in a caring profession like nursing.She shames a beautiful profession by her actions!

I am so disgusted by this nurses behavior.

This was more than "rude". She harassed you because of her own bias and ignorance. This kind of person WILL do this again.

She has,no doubt, treated others she deemed unworthy of simple human kindness in other distressing ways too. Please take action by reporting exactly what you listed here. I honestly think you may save someone else not only the rude behavior but possibly physical harm from either lack of medical care or out right abuses.