Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First workout at the gym

Well since my surgery I have been working out walking and walking videos. My surgery was on 3/20. So today I went to the gym to workout and it didn't go well. I tried to do the stationary bike and could only last 15 minutes

That is so ridiculous to me before the surgery I worked up to one and half hours. Just don't know what to do now. Of course I'm going back tomorrow just don't understand why it was so difficult there. Just looking for any suggestions on what to do to make it better.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, othella2 said:

Well since my surgery I have been working out walking and walking videos. My surgery was on 3/20. So today I went to the gym to workout and it didn't go well. I tried to do the stationary bike and could only last 15 minutes

That is so ridiculous to me before the surgery I worked up to one and half hours. Just don't know what to do now. Of course I'm going back tomorrow just don't understand why it was so difficult there. Just looking for any suggestions on what to do to make it better.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using BariatricPal mobile app

It will get better

Sometimes your energy is lower while you heal and adjust to your calorie deficit. Its ok to start out slow and build up. You are going to get stronger as you progress.

Your body is still recovering. Also, You haven't worked out since surgery, go slow & increase as you can. You will get back to where you were and probably even better!

A good time of thumb is to cut your gym routine in half. Half of the duration and half of the intensity. Give yourself time to heal. You were literally just in the hospital for a serious surgery. Slow motion is better than no motion. 😊

My theory is that because we are on a low carb diet. Our bodies use up all the carbs which is the first line of fuel for aerobic exercise. So cardio is hard bc we run into a "wall" so much sooner than before when we had carb reserves in our bodies.

What made it so difficult? Was it your energy level? I remember going back to do cardio 2 weeks after surgery and having to do a little less or a little slower. And it was six weeks before I could lift weights again.

I was the same way (vsg on 1/18) ... I even almost fainted several times when I started with the trainer. Now I literally get up an hour early to have a Protein Shake before I work out to make sure I have the fuel I need. It has gotten way better now at 3+ months out ... i do hiit, which i had never done before. I agree that the lack of carbs is a problem for working out so early on.

Your surgery is one day ahead of mine. My energy levels have fluctuated. It takes a while for your body to heal and don't forget it still in a little bit of a shock since you've had a major surgery not actually that long ago give your body time to adjust don't expect things that you could do before right away but you will it takes time you'll have good days and bad days just like me and the rest of us good Lord willing and the creek don't rise we will be more amazing than ever before good luck God bless we can do this

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

Your surgery is one day ahead of mine. My energy levels have fluctuated. It takes a while for your body to heal and don't forget it still in a little bit of a shock since you've had a major surgery not actually that long ago give your body time to adjust don't expect things that you could do before right away but you will it takes time you'll have good days and bad days just like me and the rest of us good Lord willing and the creek don't rise we will be more amazing than ever before good luck God bless we can do this

Also I wanted to add that I am 65 years old soon-to-be 66. I have a vegetable garden and I am excited about it but today I also went out and washed the car by hand and detail the inside. I didn't go to a gym and I'm trying to build up my endurance for walking a little bit head of time this is not a race this is a lifestyle change

Well as soon as Ohio passes its lat frost day around May 10th, I intend a small garden myself. Grow my own greens, tomatoes,zucchini, and what other veggies I haven't decided. Tomkitten is not enthused , he's already figured out who will be doing the spading up! I have 2 knee transplants, can't see me pushing down with either foot. But he loves me, wants me happy so I'm sure he will still do it! 🌷🍅🌽🍆🍑

On 4/28/2019 at 11:43 PM, Teisha53 said:

Thank you!!!

We have to remember this is not just a one year to year or 10 year diet management plan it is a lifetime change. Can you imagine after losing the weight and afterwards thinking it's okay to eat a piece of bread here a couple of fries there or thinking because we have a small stomach that we can eat anything regaining wait that we've worked so diligently to lose. I thought yesterday that I could peel a chicken nugget and chew it until it was practically liquid I was sick all the way home it hurt it just laid there it wouldn't move. That's self torture so together we can do this and change and reset our brains. Don't get discouraged B positive and do this for you nobody else but you because if you take care of you and love you then you can help other people and help them to take care of themselves. Lots of love take care