Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please folks...I'm not hear for a lecture. I'm just reporting what my surgeon's office told me was OK and I'm curious if anyone else's surgeon said the same. I haven't had surgery yet.

OK so....I emailed my surgeon the other day and asked what NON-NSAID pain relief can they prescribe for period cramps (in case Tylenol ends up not working for me) when the time comes because my cramps are pretty brutal for maybe 2 days max. She said they rarely do that BUT, as long as I stay on Prevacid after surgery, taking a couple Advil per month should be safe and fine. Has anyone else been told this and ended up getting an ulcer anyway? Thanks for your feedback!!!

Edited by 🅺🅸🅼🅼🅸🅴🅺

5 minutes ago, PrettyMess13 said:

Nope. Haven't had any painful periods since I've been post-op. I take Tylenol now for any pain which is funny because it didn't work for me at all pre-op. Good luck!

That's awesome!!!

I don't know the answer, but does Midol help you? It doesn't have any NSAIDs in it. I don't imagine taking a few during that 2 day period would cause any harm though...

20 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I don't know the answer, but does Midol help you? It doesn't have any NSAIDs in it. I don't imagine taking a few during that 2 day period would cause any harm though...

No clue. Never taken Midol. Advil/ibuprofen has been the only thing to kill off the cramps. I know it can all change after surgery. I'm just curious if anyone else has been told that an NSAID was OK to take as long as they're on a PPI.

I was told not to take them because they would cause a leak in the sleeve, or because of ulcers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should say NOT because of ulcers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I use a topical NSAID multiple times every day and my surgeon said it was fine.. and I'm sure SOME level of it is getting into my blood stream/digestive system and I've had no issues. And I even HAD an ulcer already (prior to starting the topical).

Edited by mousecat88

6 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Honestly, I use a topical NSAID multiple times every day and my surgeon said it was fine.. and I'm sure SOME level of it is getting into my blood stream/digestive system and I've had no issues. And I even HAD an ulcer already (prior to starting the topical).

Interestingggg

image.png.eaecfd11cfda6dd2f14afc4be274c686.png

Edited by 🅺🅸🅼🅼🅸🅴🅺

43 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

And I was told the opposite about topical nsaids (I use them for pre menstrual back pain and knee pain)… that I should stay away from them post op. Just goes to show that there isn't a lot of consensus in the bariatric world.

2 hours ago, 🅺🅸🅼🅼🅸🅴🅺 said:

Please folks...I'm not hear for a lecture. I'm just reporting what my surgeon's office told me was OK and I'm curious if anyone else's surgeon said the same. I haven't had surgery yet.

OK so....I emailed my surgeon the other day and asked what NON-NSAID pain relief can they prescribe for period cramps (in case Tylenol ends up not working for me) when the time comes because my cramps are pretty brutal for maybe 2 days max. She said they rarely do that BUT, as long as I stay on Prevacid after surgery, taking a couple Advil per month should be safe and fine. Has anyone else been told this and ended up getting an ulcer anyway? Thanks for your feedback!!!

My surgeon said pretty much the same about occasional use of nsaids while on a ppi. He had me on them for back spasms for a while. But, be very careful and use sparingly.

And I probably will never receive them again. You see I developed an. lovely gastric ulcer on Omeprazole thearpy, Advill tried to eat a hole in me., nearly succeeded- that's why I am on Dexilant, a different PPI, their Omeprazole was not gastroprotective in my case. Now I still am on Carafate 6am- noon- 6pm- midnight into perpetuity, or it at the least feels that way.

Yes, my surgeon’s office said the same thing about taking them with Prevacid but on the occasion if surgery is needed. They said sparingly is okay as long as Prevacid is taken to protect your tummy.

15 hours ago, GettingThere24 said:

Yes, my surgeon’s office said the same thing about taking them with Prevacid but on the occasion if surgery is needed. They said sparingly is okay as long as Prevacid is taken to protect your tummy.

Yep, Prevacid 30mg (Lansoprazole) is what I'm on. I decided to keep taking it after my H. Pylori treatment because it was helping SO much with my constant indigestion. Good to hear you heard the same thing :)