Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One month post op sadness!

Hi! Im one month post op as of tomorrow and I’m feeling a little sad/concerned. Is it normal after one month to still feel blech every time you eat? Every time I eat I have to lay down for awhile because I hurt/get nauseous. Today I was driving home from a friends house an hour away and I had to pull over multiple times because I felt so awful after I had eaten. We went to a baseball game last night and I was hungry but I was afraid of even trying anything with fear of it making me sick in the middle of a public event! I just want to get to a point where I can eat and not feel off after. And I want to feel comfortable eating in a group setting without wondering how it will effect me. Is this something normal that I shouldn’t be worried over?? I’m very anxious over this because I just want to get to my new normal and im probably just being impatient!

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? If so, when did you start to feel like a normal functioning person of society that could go do normal things without worrying?

I probably sound crazy lol

Which surgery did you have?

You may be eating too much/too fast/ foods that don't agree with your new tummy at this point/textures that don't agree with you.

Are you on solids, you may need to take a step back and do a bit longer on soft/mushy and just introduce new foods slowly to see how you tolerate them

I'm four months post-op from sleeve and never had those issues. Are you eating too fast? Are you eating foods that your body isn't ready for? I don't know the answer.

I am 1 month out and feel the exact same way. I honestly would feel better if i didnt eat or drink anything. I know i cant do that but eating is a struggle. No real solid foods yet , and how much can you chew applesauce. Even the Protein Drinks are just too thick. I thin them out. I keep trying to introduce new foods and dri ks but i need to be careful so i dont develop an aversion to them. I know its mainly mental, but the gag reflex happens in an heartbeat. Laying down all the time is troubling.

This is certainly NOT me

Some people have more inflammation from the surgery and just need more time to heal. Relax, improvements will happen, this too shall pass. Try a warm liquid 15 minutes prior to eating - Bone Broth. Take slow, slow ingestion of everything and wait in between bites or sips of Protein Drinks. At this stage it is nearly impossible to get Protein requirements in without liquid Protein Shakes, it is crucial for healing to get your protein in.

?applesauce? Not nutritionally important for our purposes, better off choosing high protein yogurts.

Hang in there, it only seems like progress is slow because your focus is so tight in the beginning of this journey.

I'm sure you know this, but it's worth the reminder...

Estrogen is a fat soluble hormone that you've been storing for a long time (assuming you're female that is), and as you lose fat it is released back into your blood stream to wreak havoc on your emotional state. It's going to impact how you process the recovery process on an emotional level.

Hang in there... you got this!