Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Week Post Op Ate A Little Watermelon

I know my diet doesn’t call for but man I had some watermelon today and it was like being in heaven went down smooth and felt great afterwards. Well I guess I can chew and swallow watermelon Hope this doesn’t mess me up.

Watermelon is allowed in stage 2, because it's mushy.

Man I need to explore other mushy foods. The items added to my second stage from my Dr is real basic. Think there is a lot more stuff I could be trying

Lentils and chili, just blend it with an immersion blender... so yummy. Just make sure it's chicken or turkey meat and not spicy.

Buy plain yogurt and organic fruit crusher pouches and add a tablespoon of that and also very delectable.

That sounds so good I’m going to grab that on my next grocery trip. Looking forward to eating other things and see how I do with them

Could you please elaborate a little on the reason you had the watermelon. I’m investing a lot of hope that post surgery I will not be at the mercy of hunger and cravings. Was the call for a piece of watermelon strong and overbearing your strength or you did it kind of out of boredom. I have taped and erased this post few times because I’m afraid of coming across as judgemental and is not my internet. Just please help me figure out your mind set at that time. I’m seriously struggling to control myself around food for a long time and gaining freedom from this exhausting uphill battle was a major selling point in my WLS decision.

So, are you feeling hungry 2 weeks post op? Are you craving food you see around? Is it hard not to think of what you want to eat? Can you just not walk away from it without second thoughts? Am I not realistic to expect freedom from this obsessive thoughts for at least 1.5 years?

Edited by Emilia Danciu

Don’t feel hungry at all and you was not craving it. I had a couple of things I was sticking to in my liquid diet and it was boring so the day before my purée phase started I tried it and loved it. Best thing I’ve had in awhile. So good so I start my soft food phase this weekend and can’t to try knew things that my stomach will like. So still no hunger and cravings this was a curiosity to see how it would handle because most of the melon is Water

1 hour ago, Emilia Danciu said:

Could you please elaborate a little on the reason you had the watermelon. I’m investing a lot of hope that post surgery I will not be at the mercy of hunger and cravings. Was the call for a piece of watermelon strong and overbearing your strength or you did it kind of out of boredom. I have taped and erased this post few times because I’m afraid of coming across as judgemental and is not my internet. Just please help me figure out your mind set at that time. I’m seriously struggling to control myself around food for a long time and gaining freedom from this exhausting uphill battle was a major selling point in my WLS decision.

So, are you feeling hungry 2 weeks post op? Are you craving food you see around? Is it hard not to think of what you want to eat? Can you just not walk away from it without second thoughts? Am I not realistic to expect freedom from this obsessive thoughts for at least 1.5 years?

I had my surgery 3/26. Everyone is different, as I found out. While some have no hunger and no cravings, others still do. I happen to be the unfortunate one that woke up hungry still crave food. However, when you are recovering from surgery, perhaps watching more TV than usual including all the food commercials, it's kinda hard. At least for me. The full liquid is probably the hardest part, and I have confidence that as I get to the next stage, it will get easier.

I might still get hungry, but I also get full with very little. After a few months, if I have a tremendous craving for something, I will be able to eat it, but only a very small amount. Portion Control is a huge help.

Bottom line, imo, is that no. The surgery may not rid you of obsessive thoughts, but again it could! If not, what it will do is give you time and tools and a head start to tame those thoughts. After all, you may want a big fat cheesburger, but your stomach will make you pay dearly if you have it! So it's not so much 'you shouldn't', but more 'you physically can't'.

On 4/5/2019 at 6:38 PM, Trellunit said:

I know my diet doesn’t call for but man I had some watermelon today and it was like being in heaven went down smooth and felt great afterwards. Well I guess I can chew and swallow watermelon Hope this doesn’t mess me up.

sounds tasty! I went shopping yesterday to get ready for my mushy stage. Excited to add variety to my meals :)

Thank you for your messages. I’m realizing that my anxiety is starting to build up and my fears are taking a front seat when I think about the potential outcomes. I’m feeling very encouraged by your statements that hunger and cravings are not a driving force.

Keep up the great work and keep us all posted on the progress.

24 minutes ago, Emilia Danciu said:

Thank you for your messages. I’m realizing that my anxiety is starting to build up and my fears are taking a front seat when I think about the potential outcomes. I’m feeling very encouraged by your statements that hunger and cravings are not a driving force.

Keep up the great work and keep us all posted on the progress.

So depending on your recovery process is your mind may be the same, but you need to know that it's mind over matter. If you try to eat something that you shouldn't be or too fast or too much, your body will punish you. This is where this tool comes into play.

Thank you for your message. It totally makes sense and I appreciate your thoughts and your support. I’m thankful for dialogue like this. It’s helping me keep focus on the facts and to remember that not two experiences are the same but it is in big part what we decide to make of it.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, Trellunit said:

Man I need to explore other mushy foods. The items added to my second stage from my Dr is real basic. Think there is a lot more stuff I could be trying

pretty much anything you can puree should be allowed. I had pureed green bean casserole for xmas at two weeks! just had to have a taste!