Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI OF 31 AND 35 LB TO LOSE. IS IT WORTH IT?

On 4/6/2019 at 2:24 AM, nssmia said:

Thank you. I'm really starting to think in favor of the sleeve. Even with only 35 # to LOSE, the weight is just not coming off. I'm giving it the month if April to LOSE 10 lb on weight watchers. If that doesn't happen, I will make my decision. Sick of weighing 200 . Appreciate your comments

Sent from my SM-J727V using BariatricPal mobile app

It was just mentioned before GERD plays up much more with SLEEVE it's one of the most common issues with sleeve and why some ppl go sleeve only to do RNY later... And you may struggle even to find a doctor who will deal with a 31 BMI ?

What helped me the most with losing weight was the psychologist and personal nutritionist. Surgery helped, but a year later, it is still the psychological and nutrition that I need to continue working on. The sleeve has helped me by reducing what I can eat, but it is not the solution. It is a valuable tool and part of the whole solution.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, drawingdami said:

We are in sort of a similar boat. I am 5'4" and currently weigh in at 202. I have several medical issues though. Severe GERD, high cholesterol and blood pressure without medications, sleep apnea, and...I have had two kidney transplants (the current one is doing well, thank God).

I am very grateful to be alive, but I want to thrive and be happy with my body. I have lost and regained the same 30 to 40 lbs over and over and I too am tired of hovering around 200lbs. I know what it feels like to weigh less, and I do feel better, physically. I like to run and it is painful at this weight. No matter what I do, and I have done it ALL, I can't seem to keep my weight off (I also don't seem to go above 210lbs either. It is like my weight is set around the 200lb mark😠).

I had a Nissen Fundoplication for the GERD about 4 years ago, and it worked well, but it didn't last. I was told that a RnY is a permanent fix to GERD and mine is really bad due to recurring hiatal hernias.

It is almost 6 weeks since your last post. Did you decide on what to do? Either way, I hope you are doing well.😊

I had gastric bypass a few months ago - and my GERD is gone. I also wanted the nissen fundoplication but my doctor told me that gastric bypass was initially a procedure for GERD. I decided right then and then to have the surgery.

I hope you feel better soon. I know how much having reflux can impact your day to day life.

Was scheduled for a sleeve recently. Then I cancelled it and decided to try weight watchers (for the 4th time) after 1 month very minimal weight loss. Currently 198 and 5ft 6in. My goal weight is160. One part of me says just keep struggling with weight watchers . The other part say go for the surgery. I'm 66 yrs old and in good health except for sleep apnea and gerd. Any suggestions much appreciated

Here if your bmi is not over 35 bmi with comorbites or 40 bmi's no comorbites, you can't get the sleeve.
Weight watchers maybe a slow process but if you stick to plan and learn to eat that way forever you will lose it all. My problem has always been sticking to plan even after getting into maintenance. Guess I think I have arrived after we achieve our goals but in reality it is a life time struggle. Go to the meetings they are alot of help.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

On 04/02/2019 at 20:33, nssmia said:

Was scheduled for a sleeve recently. Then I cancelled it and decided to try weight watchers (for the 4th time) after 1 month very minimal weight loss. Currently 198 and 5ft 6in. My goal weight is160. One part of me says just keep struggling with weight watchers . The other part say go for the surgery. I'm 66 yrs old and in good health except for sleep apnea and gerd. Any suggestions much appreciated

Hi nssmia, this is just my personal input. I am having the sleeve strictly for medical reasons. I am 50 pounds from goal, I too was on WW and I still do Walking CD’s with Leslie Sansone. It is low impact but works! The WW and exercise is just not enough to lose the weight to fix an incisional hernia, which is getting bigger. Ultimately the decision is yours, however if I did not have this issue, I have no doubt I would have lost the 50 pounds between WW, the Walk CDS and Gym. I know you can do it too! You got this! BTW I will be 50 on 8/31 my surgery date is 8/15.

My insurance only covers it if your BMI is over 35 with comorbidities or over 40 without. My personal opinion is that, barring any serious medical issues from those 35lbs, I wouldn't have my stomach removed and make SUCH a major lifestyle change for it. I should have considered it at maybe 75lbs too heavy or 100. Instead I waited to almost 150lbs overweight... but it honestly wouldn't (and didn't) cross my mind 35lbs overweight... and I personally would not have done it even if it was suggested to me. I would have told that person they were insane for suggesting I chop out my stomach for 35lbs. I was able to lose 65lbs on my own with Keto, and if I stuck to it it would still be off... but I went off the rails, hard. If you can stick to something like keto, maybe try that if you haven't? I would exhaust ALL AVAILABLE OPTIONS. My surgeon's office offers medically managed weight loss for people below the BMI thresh hold. It's the Optifast diet coupled with weight loss medication and a strict routine of followups and accountability. Maybe looked into medically managed weight loss programs?

Edited by mousecat88

This is my experience with the sleeve and gerd:
I was 227 at the time of surgery BMI 39. I had reflux before surgery and on the max dose of protonix. I was sleeved and my symptoms subsided for a couple of months. About 6-9 months in they started coming back, I seen my pcp and was added zantac 300mg. Months 10-15 I was taking 2 bottles a month of alka zelter chews on top of the protonix and Zantac. I finally consulted my surgeon, after finding it that my sleeve could be the reason. After an EDG I found out that I had a severe case of inflammation to my esophagus and a restriction. Only way to correct this was bypass. Within a week ( because I was producing acid while I was sleeping, and due to heavy sleep medication and not wakeing up, and already aspirating while sleeping) ins approved bypass and I was in the OR 3 days later.

This is something you have to decided for your self. The sleeve can either make it worse or better. Everyone's experiences are different. But for me I would still do again, knowing this would be my outcome.

Go for it! I had Gerd before surgery and it is gone.