Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction

Hello everyone. I wasn't sure where I was supposed to do an introduction, so I am just dropping it in here. I met with my PCP on Friday and she approved a referral for the bariatric surgeon in our medical group. I am waiting for the referral in the mail to schedule an appointment with him. From there, not sure how long everything will take, but I am hoping for a surgery date less than 6 months from now. Does that seem reasonable for anyone with experience?

I have been lurking and reading messages for a few days now, so I am glad to be here. Thank you!

I met with my surgeon first time January 4, 2018 and had my surgery on March 22,2018. So my process went pretty fast but it depends on all your insurance requirements...

its very reasonable, I went to my PCP last july of 2018 and just had my surgery last week. Trust me, the time will go by quickly. I needed all of it to prepare mentally and change my bad habits through the nutrition classes and accountability. It's worth the wait.

I had my appt on July 9th abd surgery February 25th. I had a lot of requirements.

For me, I met with my surgeon on January 8th 2019 and had sleeve surgery March 11. Mine was unusually fast because my insurance did not require any kind of pre surgery weight loss tracking. I think 6 months is very much the norm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

6 months does seem to be the norm in the US. I was referred to my bariatric clinic a little over 2 years ago, and I've been in my program for 19 months, with surgery next month. But I'm in Canada, and it takes a while to get elective surgeries here.

I am also in Canada at Toronto Western Hospital Bariatric Program. It takes about 10-12 months give or take from referral to surgery. It's a long process as it's funded by OHIP and they need to be sure we are fully prepared for the surgery and the new lifestyle we will be living afterwards. That said, I took about 2 yrs to actually have the surgery due to life and personal things going on. I ended up having my surgery yesterday. Can't remember when I started the process but it was about 2 yrs ago.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using BariatricPal mobile app

And our Aussie cousins seen to move even much faster than the US. Wonder how long National Health Service in the the UK and the rest of the Commonwealth take?

I was Kaiser- referral in Sept, classes began in Nov, surgery may 1st so, about 8 months

Use this time to learn, the transition can be rough for some so start learning to take small sips, eat slowly, lay your fork or spoon down between bites, drop soda, drop caffeinated drinks, and please stop smoking if you can. And after your surgery you'll be glad you have yourself so well- trained, makes pist- surgery life so much more smooth.

I started my process 3/1/18, and was sleeved 12/12/18, so 6 months is a fairly reasonable expectation. It honestly just depends on your insurance - mine required 6 months of diet tracking, which is why it took as long as it did. (: