Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I've been on here a few times to discuss my diet. I had surgery March 14th 2019 (bypass) and I can't seem to get things in. I can't drink enough or eat the puree like I'm supposed to. It's Saturday at almost 2am and I'm on the couch sobbing. My stomach has been growling. I almost burst into tears tonight when we were out for my boyfriends birthday dinner with his family but I didn't. I held it together. I can't figure out how to make this all work. I think I'm severely dehydrated and literally starving. I have a few things going on that are complicating things for me and they are both so dumb. One is that I have multiple friends who've had this surgery done that are insisting that I do this or that, that I shouldn't be on purees yet. I have a neighbor I frequently hang out with that has A friend who's had this surgery so she thinks she knows all about it and is trying to tell me what to do and how I should feel. The other thing is that I'm really normally a very tough person. No one is used to seeing me hurt or struggle. I'm not the type to complain. I'm a lead singer in two different bands and I've taken seriously bad falls off the stage and chipped bones once and split my face open on another occasion and just kept rolling with the night so everyone just thinks I feel nothing but this is different. It's not the pain that bothers me and to me the pain wasn't even so bad it's that every time I feel pain or just something different it's scary because it could be an indicator to something being wrong and I get really anxious. I'm so grateful for this forum because honestly it's the one place I can come and not only be vulnerable and honest and know the people here won't just say hey you're right Jezz, you'll be fine. I don't even know what this post is about. It's the mad rantings of a hungry, tired, frustrated person trying to figure it out. I just feel lost and I can't wait until Monday so I can call my Dr and get help. I'm just REALLY afraid to eat and feel like I'm waisting away. Not getting Protein. Again I'm so sorry. (Half of me hopes no one reads this, the other half of me is praying that someone completely relates with me because I feel crazy)

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using BariatricPal mobile app

You are approximately 2 weeks out

The most important thing is to stay hydrated. Keep drinking.

Make sure you take your Vitamins

Then follow your practices plan as best as you can. If it says you can have purées go ahead, if it says you should only be n liquids stick wiypth what. They are the ones you need to listen to not well meaning friends or neighbours.

If you can’t get all your Protein in at this stage don’t panic, just do your best. Eat what you can that works for you.

And it does change, usually pretty rapidly so try not to stress

Water. If nothing else, get your water in. Try your best to focus on that today and tomorrow you can touch base with your docs for next steps.

One. Day. At. A. Time.

Hang in there ❤️

Don’t forget, it is normal at this stage for some emotions to be running amuck.

Agree with above, focus on Water and staying hydrated. Increased Protein intake is going to come in time. If your friends are confusing you or overwhelming you with advice, just tell them you are following your surgeons plan and that is what you were advised to stick to.

If you were an emotional eater, this is a tumultuous time post op, but it will pass don’t worry! I had some crying jags and emotional peaks and lows following surgery, it is normal.

It does get better, be patient with yourself.

❤️

I agree with the others. Protein is an important part of the healing stage. Could you try and get in some Protein Shakes?

If you can’t drink because of a physical issue preventing you, maybe you can at least try sucking on ice chips. You must get your fluids in.

Hang in there. It really does get better.

((Hugs)) We feel for you! I totally get what you meant about your concern not being about the pain itself, but rather that if it's an indication that there is some other problem. I dealt with that, too. You've got to trust your doc on this one. (Hard, I know) but they've seen most of this before. But, that said, keep calling them if it doesn't improve. You should be feeling better day by day. Have you tried sugar-free popsicles? Sometimes it's easier to get liquids that way, plus the cold helps with the swelling.

Fat cells hold estrogen. As you lose weight, they release the estrogen which heightens the highs and lows on your emotional rollercoaster. This just makes everything worse.

As far as the busybodies, I tend to be a very non-confrontational, passive-aggressive sort of person. I agreed with everybody, then went ahead and did what I wanted anyway 😉 If you're more of a straight-shooter, how about "I'm not sure how you have your foot in your mouth, head up your @ss, and nose in my business, yet here we are you effing wizard!" (Paraphrased from a Facebook post 😁 ) which I posted yesterday on a WLS-hater thread.

Good luck and know that we're here for you.

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

Yes, the "unknown" is maybe part of the HARDEST thing in all of this! So many "what ifs." Honestly. I had to continually talk myself off the ledge cuz like you, I'm very Type-A and used to being in control of my destiny. LOL--not my tummies little bia*ch.

As everyone said. HYDRATION.

Believe it or not, getting your Fluid in will make you FEEL more in command! It's even WAY more important than Protein at this point. You can live for months on your fat. You can live about 3-5days without liquids. And the thing is? The more dehydrated you become, the less food you can consume, the more anxiety you have, the more pain you perceive, and the more depressed or crazy you feel.

So that's your goal.

Goal #1 - Get that fluid in. You have one job. Drink 1oz of Water in 15 minutes or less. Use the little measuring cup they gave you from the hospital or hell, use a jigger! I used a 4oz jigger. My one job was to get 4oz in per hour or better. Get the fluid in any way you can:

1. liquid form (anything clear and non-sugar)

2. Ice cubes/ice chips

3. Ninja "snowcones"

4. SF popsicles (non-creamy kind--just the fruit flavored ones) or frozen clear Protein Drink

5. Broths

All of these count!

When you are fully hydrated, then you can really address your Protein Shakes. If they are too thick, thin them down with Fairlife Milk, water, decaff coffee, or decaff tea.

Hope that helps!

Thank you all. I'm not an emotional eater but when I'm tired I can get emotional. Also I didn't know about the estrogen being stored in the fat. I also have a disorder where I have more testosterone than estrogen so perhaps I'm not used to this aligh amount of estrogen being released lol. I heard you all loud and clear. FOCUS ON HYDRATION. Can you give me the name of a safe and good tasting clear Liquid Protein shake so I can make the popsicles out of them! And what are the snow cones mentioned above?!?!?

The Premiere , in my book, lives up to the name, Premiere Liquid Protein in fruit Punch. Others swear by the Syntrax flavors, at my hospital , Ohio State they lean towards Luquicell, my favorite there was Peach Mango, tasted good instead of medicinal, the Grape was FOUL, ordered it once, NEVER EVER AGAIN!

Sending you hugs Jezzabelle! I’m 3 weeks out and have struggles with getting enough protien. Just keep drinking! I will get better.

If you need an idea for something to sip on, the Zero Vitamin Water is a lifesaver... drink it cold. It's great.

This is a really hard stage to be in - you are hungry, depleted in energy and most likely a bit depressed. It will get better even though it feels like it won't. Hang in there!

And if you feel like grabbing and bitching, my shoulders are broad , I'm almost always around, if I'm not ,there are many others who will be. We all have cussed, fussed, muttered under our breath, wondered what we,let ourselves in for, but it gets better, no matter how quick or slow you bounce back, life does get better and better!
And I'll leave with what a wise Bari-pal told me as your fat stores break down and all those hormones and other stuff that was stored releases. Its like Puberty but not as many zits, Pregnancy but you don't get a cute baby out of the deal, Menopause because you will alternate hot flashes, chills and nasty temperment. And you will cry at the dangest things. I started weeping because I didn't get pictures taken before I went into the OR, yeah minor in the scheme of things but I was ❤broken.cO told someone I looked like Road Kill, now I'm not Miss America but I've not stopped too many clocks by looking at them. But I thought my skin looked sallow, on the verge of jaundice, really isn't. And the first places I lost weight? My forearms and neck, for this I went through surgery? Also my finders got smaller and they were the only average sized things on my body in the first place. Finally my rump,thighs and belly have joined in but they almost missed the party. Nobody mentioned your belly gets ridged when bands of fat left, this was not the Washboard And I was looking for! Worse comes worse I can scrub out stains on my laundry, dumb me, I actually thought it would simply flatten. Nope, but I can cover the damage with clothing. I drug out a pair of capris from last summer, tightenedthe drawstring as much,as I could but they do look like clown pants. If the string let's loose I will be like the Georgian Bari- pal, hubby took her to the Braves game, went to do the Wave, and there she was on the Jumbotron , broadcast for all, pants around her ankles and her polka dot panties on view all over the American Southeast. After she stopped crying and blushing, she admitted it would have been worse if she had her loose Granny Panties instead of her right-sized briefs. Now do you feel just a little better that. it hasn't happened to YOU?

I'm 9 weeks out and still having trouble eating all the Protein, liquids and getting enough calories in. I still remember those first few weeks. All I could really do was drink the life Water, popsicles and Jello. I found the flavorless Beneprotein and started adding it to jello, and anything else. All the people are in here have such good advice. All you can do is try to drink water. The doc was okay with me waiting a little longer to start the puree. Do what feels right for your body? I hope you geel better soon. Xoxo

I buy these from Amazon. 2 of them give me 80 grams of Protein.

1563822882_Iso100proteinwater.jpg.33b6e12e6e1cb2331daf24867cc4c420.jpg

I still don't eat very much but I get my protein, Water and Vitamins in every day and that keeps me going. I figure the eating part will get easier with time and this hiatus from food helps take away my constant obsession with it. The first few weeks post-op, all I thought about was how, when and how much will I be eating. I really don't think about it now. I try to get in one meal a day and I will eventually transition to real foods for my protein and ditch the drinks but for know this is working. I'm sure my nut wouldn't like it if I told her I wasn't following the steps and timeline that she has set up for me but I don't see the harm in taking it easy. I just keep in mind, most WLS patients can eat whatever they want at one year to 18 months out so eventually I will long for the days when eating was a hassle.

8 hours ago, Jezzabelle360 said:

Thank you all. I'm not an emotional eater but when I'm tired I can get emotional. Also I didn't know about the estrogen being stored in the fat. I also have a disorder where I have more testosterone than estrogen so perhaps I'm not used to this aligh amount of estrogen being released lol. I heard you all loud and clear. FOCUS ON HYDRATION. Can you give me the name of a safe and good tasting clear Liquid Protein shake so I can make the popsicles out of them! And what are the snow cones mentioned above?!?!?

The snowcones are taking a Protein drink (pour it into ice cube trays) freeze, then blend it to snow cone consistency.