Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon after surgery did you wait to workout?

So my surgeon said you have a greater risk of hernia form sneezing or coughing initially after surgery. He said there was a 10# lifting limit the first 2 weeks and after that said to take it slow and stop if it feels like I am straining.

So here I am at almost 6 weeks post surgery and I have done cardio and very low weight higher reps at the gym on machines, not free weights. I am starting to do house things like easy gardening and vacuuming without pain.

I am scared to push it and would like to know when you felt you could push yourself.

Thanks,

I was doing cardio and going to the gym at 2 weeks but not lifting or doing strength training machines until 6 weeks and then stuck with light weights for another 4 weeks until I felt I could do heavier weights.

If you have doubts, consult with your surgeon.

Otherwise just increase activity/weights in small increments and pay attention to how you feel after & the next day.

I started going to the gym exactly at my 2 week mark! I usually do a couple miles of cardio and then I do some weight machines, and I take it slow with the weights!

I needed the answer to that question question so thanks. I had my surgery on 3/20/19. Tomorrow will be my first day back at the gym. A little nervous but I'm going bright and early.

I was cleared to lift weights about three months post op. I started walking around my local community as soon as I got home from hospital. There was a lot of slow shuffling up and down the street the first days back (more for circulation than exercise), but now I’m power walking and loving it.

Cardio after a few days (mostly walking, walking, walking) Strength training about 6-8 weeks after

I started doing cardio and sauna 2 weeks post op and got back into free weights at 4 weeks (starting very light compared to the normal) I am now 7 weeks post op and have been gradually increasing up to normal plus my work requires some heavy lifting often

I had waiting for exercises after surgery but i dont wanted messup with my surgery would says about few weeks or months to lose more weight..

I waited about 3 months to really get into exercising. I was originally lifting weights along with elliptical but I strained a muscle in the lower abdomen right near one of my incisions so that put a nix on the weight lifting for now. I’ve been running 4 days a week now that it’s nice out. I wish I would have started exercising sooner but Im making up for lost time!

I was nearly 4 months out until I was back serious lifting, before that I focused on fitness and mobility and light free weights (I have a significant background in lifting) . It takes a while to work out how to get the right combination of calories in for good post workout recovery and I still end up burning from half to all the calories I eat each day so at the moment I'm maintaining the muscle I have left rather than building more although strength is slowly getting better. I lost quite a bit of muscle in those first 3 months post op especially as I couldn't tolerate Protein Drinks.

Just listen to your body, take plenty of recovery days and concentrate on good quality nutrition 😁