Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleeve in Mexico now $4200 or US $6000 but wait 6 months)

I've pretty much decided I want to have the gastric sleeve. Now that that's settled I'm ready. I was already approved by Weight Loss Team in Mexico and It's $4200 including hotel stay in puerto vallarta. and I can schedule as soon as possible. I also found out my insurance covers it if I want to do it in the USA and my maximum out of pocket will be $6000 for the mayo clinic in Jacksonville, FL.

The US one is $1800 more and they will make me go through the 3 to 6 months nutritional and dr. supervised, etc. I'm impatient, I don't want to wait the 6 months. I Also think the drs. in Mexico will do a better job because they do more procedures.

On the other hand, if there are complications or follow up it will be nice to have the surgeons'/drs here in US.

What would you do?

One thing to consider is that if you go thru insurance and hit your max out of pocket fees then other medical and dental expenses you may have for the rest of 2019 may be covered at 100%. Also you airfare to Mexico increases the cost. Insurance may cover after care you need like the nutritionist, follow up etc. and if you go to Mexico they may not.

You've read about the recent super-Bug virus problem in Mexico, right? What if there are complications? How will you get follow-up? I would wait the extra 3-6 months and spend the extra $1800 to have it in the USA for peace of mind. But that's just me.

57 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

You've read about the recent super-Bug virus problem in Mexico, right? What if there are complications? How will you get follow-up? I would wait the extra 3-6 months and spend the extra $1800 to have it in the USA for peace of mind. But that's just me.

appreciate your opinion and no I haven't heard of the super bug virus I'm leaning towards the extra $$

1 hour ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

One thing to consider is that if you go thru insurance and hit your max out of pocket fees then other medical and dental expenses you may have for the rest of 2019 may be covered at 100%. Also you airfare to Mexico increases the cost. Insurance may cover after care you need like the nutritionist, follow up etc. and if you go to Mexico they may not.

ahhh..good point......see....this is why i posted the question here.

Wait& do it in the US, I had a family member have it done and she almost died a few months later, and when the US. Surgeon went in, he said tat she didn’t have it done, they messed her up in Mexico

I have scheduled my surgery to be done in Mexico on 10/1/19. I have no reservations what so ever. However, this is just me. I saw the CDC warning and NY Times followed up with an article as well and it was regarding just 1 hospital in Tijuana. Only the 1 hospital.

Weigh your options and if you need to make a list. Pros and cons. No matter what you decide, you will always find proponents and opponents. It is ultimately your decision, re your health. Good luck.

Can't get away from the 6 months, even in Beautiful Mexico?
Makes you even doubt the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus!

I could have scheduled much earlier than October at the Hospital in Mexico. I just had to provide the medical tests and info they required. I scheduled out to October as I am paying cash. I could still go sooner if I financed it.

you can get dates much sooner than 6 mos in Mexico.

Really appreciate the comments and thought perspectives.

I found out I only have to wait 3 months, and also I've decided to have the surgery with Dr. Kim at Advent Health in Orlando. Since my insurance is covering it and my PCP recommended staying in the US, that's what I'm going to do. Good luck to all, will post more soon ;)

On 4/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, Panda333 said:

Really appreciate the comments and thought perspectives.

I found out I only have to wait 3 months, and also I've decided to have the surgery with Dr. Kim at Advent Health in Orlando. Since my insurance is covering it and my PCP recommended staying in the US, that's what I'm going to do. Good luck to all, will post more soon ;)

How was your experience at Advent Health Orlando? I am considering doing my gastric sleeve with them. Can you please share how was the recovery? How many nights did you stay in the hospital? How was the support and follow up? Any and all details are much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Z1018