Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You’re doing so well and have such a great attitude @MassMan! Keep up the great work and good luck on the elliptical today . I made the mistake of doing some resistance bands too early (not realizing it would engage my core!) and set my recovery back by about a week.
That sneeze could be your new “I’m full” signal. Has something to do with the vagus nerve . I don’t get it as often now but right after surgery a sneeze or hiccups were my cue I was done.
Keep up the great work and I know your day to day posting is helping many 😎

5 hours ago, Colorado Cowgirl said:

Wow! Can't believe you are heading to the gym on Day 4! Good job! You gove me so much hope. Getting resdy to take my shower and then countdown to noon when I leave to the hospital. Have a great day and stay away from the beef broth!

Best of luck Colorado Cowgirl ! ! !

You got this.... If I can do it anyone can. As read on pretty much most of the posts on this forum the number one pain is gas pain. Walk, walk, walk and do more walking. About 4 hours after my surgery you can bet your arse that I did not want to get up and walk.... but it certainly started to alleviate some of the gas pains and in 1-2 days was pretty much gone. That and small sipping as much as you can....

Take your time... go slow and can't wait to hear how you're doing.

3 hours ago, DanaC84 said:

You’re doing so well and have such a great attitude @MassMan! Keep up the great work and good luck on the elliptical today . I made the mistake of doing some resistance bands too early (not realizing it would engage my core!) and set my recovery back by about a week.
That sneeze could be your new “I’m full” signal. Has something to do with the vagus nerve . I don’t get it as often now but right after surgery a sneeze or hiccups were my cue I was done.
Keep up the great work and I know your day to day posting is helping many 😎

Hi Dana,

I was able to walk in the gym... first time in a few years and got on the elliptical and did 15 min @ 4mph. Nice and slow and that was it. I don't think I'm ready for resistance at this point but I more or less just wanted to get out and do some low end cardio. yeah... I won't be smelling the roses anytime soon... that sneeze hurt... :)

Hope all is well with you

Post Op Day 4 Finish: 

Was able to hit the gym for a very slow 4mph elliptical workout for 15 min. Then drove through a carwash and stopped and did some shopping. The pain has pretty much subsided and is only and issue if I reach to stretch or sneeze. Believe me... sneezing will get your attention. Able to get in Water and Protein, but now wanting to chew something.

Last night while watching TV, started to get bummed a bit since all I saw was these freaking juicy burgers, nice looking burritos, juicy steaks... candy, ice cream... damn they were certainly targeting my fat arse… :) I feel like a product of my environment of which instant gratification with food has certainly changed since I was a kid. We were lucky to go to a McDonalds twice a year as to now, just whip in for a big mac snack. I did start to feel like hummmm… is this the rest of my life now... protein and water.

So I'm a reasonable man and try to put things in perspective. I guess for me it boils down to Quantity vs Quality. I know for a fact that I should not be attacking a 1/4 pounder, fish sandwich, large fries and a large Dr. Pepper. I know this has gotten me to the point that made me start researching VSG 2 years ago. And to be totally honest with myself I know that a filet mignon with steamed veggies would taste better and be better for me. Might take a little longer to prep or wait in a restaurant for it, but would be much better all the way around.

So much for rambling on, but just some of the thoughts running around my head as my new journey with food and a healthier lifestyle is starting.

Post Op Day 5 Start: 

Rise and shine.... did a few chores, Headed to the gym for another 15 min bout with the elliptical machine and then stop at the grocery store to buy a nice rib eye steak, asparagus and salad fixings. Not for me of course but for my wife. I felt a bit guilty the last few nights as my wife did not want to cook or eat in front of me. She shouldn't have to change because I want change. If she wants to that's one thing, but she certainly shouldn't feel guilty to eat or prep food around me. I just want to make sure this doesn't separate us from daily conversation at the dinner table.

Humm….. I just re-read the last 4-5 paragraphs and seems my mind is certainly off the pain of the surgery and now feelings are surfacing. Believe me... not a cream puff here :) , but definitely want to be aware of those around me and my own choices moving forward.

Have a great day all ! ! !

Post Op Day 5 Finish:

Made it to the gym for the 15 min elliptical and then by the grocery store to pick up some rib eye steaks, salad fixings, asparagus and by the liquer store for some Greg Norman Merlot. When the wife got home I had already seasoned the steaks and candied the pecans for prep. The salad consisted of mixed greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, dried cranberries, candied pecans, mandarin orange slices, strawberries and feta cheese with raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Dang that salad looks good... :) And I had 8 oz of Tomato soup.... my first real meal and I loved it. We cleaned up and then went out to pick up a few spring time chore items. Good day all in all.

Post Op Day 6 :

Well my friends the fun was over. Woke up and had my Protein Drink and then made my Water bottles and logged in to get some work done. A few hours later had an urge to go to the bathroom.... this is where the fun starts. I could NOT go.... tried.... tried again.... and ……..

Can you say CONSTIPATION :( This started with taking some collace a few days earlier and I had taken it since Monday. I added in some Miralax three separate times during the course of the day, then asked my wife to grab me some suppositories. This was pretty painful not being able to go.... over the course of 9 hours, 3 doses of miralax, 2 suppositories, and 1 mini enema things finally broke loose. That was the worst I have ever been backed up and I will certainly need to figure this one out as I do not want to go through that again. And to top it off... I gained 2.5 pounds...WTH....

Sorry for the graphical depiction above, but Day 6 was NOT fun.

Post Op Day 7 Start : 

Well the day is starting off with the diarrhea and not surprise to the amount of things I took the day before. I had called he Dr. office yesterday and they told me to make sure to increase my Water consumption as 48oz was not enough. I plan to up the water intake and will probably continue with collace or some other stool softener till I get this figured out. Right now sipping my Protein Shake and looking or a smooth (no pun intended) day. :)

All the best to everyone.

Day 3 for me and I don't feel well enough for all those activities. Please remember you underwent a serious operation and your body needs time to heal itself. We are supposed to take it slow at first. Constipation is normal I have read. It will pass as our bodies adjust to the new digestive tract. Give yourself credit for the positive changes but don't beat yourself up. Have a great day!

Post Op Day 35:

Well folks... this thing called life has kept me from posting days 8 - 34, but I can tell you I'm down 40 pounds and working. My biggest struggles or should I say my biggest change is that I have to pace myself and not over do it. That and getting enough Water in. Once I'm at work I tend to get busy and forget to drink my alloted amount each day, but I'm still managing to get in 40-50oz a day. Getting enough water in is key as it will help with Constipation.

Our golf league started earlier this week and I felt as though I was a bit tuckered out after about 6 holes. I have zero pain at this point and life is good. Some big adjustments to lifestyle, but my main goal was a healthy lifestyle, no diabetes, better mobility and hoping to extend my life by 10 years :)

Hope everyone else is pain free and enjoying life ! ! !

MassMan