Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 2 weeks post op and I am having a lot of trouble getting my Protein in. I despise Protein Drinks and have to choke them down. I don’t eat cottage cheese or yogurt. I also have a weird texture pet peeve. I am very very picky. Just trying to see if anybody has any ideas for ways I can get it in. I really need some help. 🤓😐

Have you tried any of the unflavored Protein powders? I add it to my Soups and do bone broths. Protein juices are also a nice change of pace. I have a pink grapefruit powder that is really good (syntrax nectars).

Drink milk

16 minutes ago, Jessica-1993 said:

I’m 2 weeks post op and I am having a lot of trouble getting my Protein in. I despise Protein Drinks and have to choke them down. I don’t eat cottage cheese or yogurt. I also have a weird texture pet peeve. I am very very picky. Just trying to see if anybody has any ideas for ways I can get it in. I really need some help. 🤓😐

Hi....it is notoriously difficult, especially in the earlier weeks and days post-op, to get that vital Protein intake - I fully understand your anxieties and have only recently gone through the same myself. I, too, looked to protein Water, and agree that it isn't exactly a lot of fun. On clear fluids and to an extent, puree diets, the choices are not great. I used soft/hard boiled eggs, mashed down well with the back of a fork, with ample seasoning through salt & pepper. If enjoyed, a few drops of hot sauce (Tabasco or others) and even a very slight amount of Mayonnaise (have to keep this to an absolute minimum, of course!) will help it become palatable. Even so, it takes more eggs per day than most people can manage, to get in the 70g or 80g daily requirements. Getting the protein from food sources is important whenever possible, as it is synthesized far more readily by the body than that from protein enriched waters etc. It is a good idea to get whey protein powders, or hemp protein powders etc, so as to add manageable amounts to the likes of weetbix, porridge and so-on. Fish, when it can be introduced to the diet, and shredded down with a fork, makes things easier - chicken can be cooked and then minced, but only, of course, once you progress from liquids and puree to soft and full diets. For those of us who were ordinarily a little picky, things are even more difficult, and one needs to be very creative. I would steer you toward ramping-up your egg intake, if eggs are something that you can manage and enjoy, in the interim at least until your diet changes, when it will become easier. There is also Tofu, especially the soft/silken type, but I know well enough that not everyone finds Tofu palatable!! I wish you well with what are real challenges. :)

tuna is a great means of getting-in Protein. I am also not the greatest fan of eggs, but have found the need to push them more than I'd like. You are very correct, the powdered whys and similar are far from pleasant, but it's really about adding small amounts only.....barely enough to be tasted amounts....whenever we get the opportunity. There's really no way of making this thing easy, I know, but to keep in the back of our minds just how vital it is to work hard on keeping the protein intake as high as possible. Stating the obvious, I know!!! Your dislike of Yogurts don't help so much, although there's hardly masses of protein in standard yogurt. There are others that are 'high' protein, containing 15 grams or more per yogurt....but, you're not going to like those too much if you already don't enjoy regular ones, as it is a little noticeable that what the manufacturers have done, is basically add Protein Powder to a regular yogurt!! I'm not really helping too much, other than empathizing with the difficulties you're having....I, too am having difficulties and I wouldn't necessarily call myself a 'fussy eater. It becomes easier, as I mentioned, as your dietary allowances get better - it is seriously hard to get that protein until you get to the 'soft' phase....and even I only really managed to improve things with more eggs than I'd have really liked!! Be sure to drink your full allowances daily of Low Fat Milk and just do your best.....wishing you luck and success, and hit those cans of Tuna as hard as you're able!!!! (Should add that some of the low fat, low carb shakes available that sports-people use....or indeed the pre op low carb/high Protein Shakes we used ie 'Optifast' can be turned to, to give us around 10 grams of protein, all of which does help us....it really IS about making small changes....adding small amounts of protein absolutely whenever we get the chance to....a major challenge, I fully concur!!)

Edited by Lindsay B

2 hours ago, Jessica-1993 said:

Thanks so much for your help. I have been trying to drink milk when I feel like I can’t do a shake. I think really I just have to start thinking way way out of the box 🤓

You should try fairlife milk. I agree, I do not like whey, cant stand the smell and makes me gag!

Fairlife milk also comes in a chocolate flavor, although I prefer plain. 12 oz will give you 19g of Protein.

Also, have you tried Beans? I got chili at Wendy's and chicken white chili at taco time. I could only do 1/3 of a cup, but I'm getting better at getting close to a half cup.

Good luck!

Im really having trouble with all food. All drinks, Water. Everything gets stuck and i simple wait for the food to pass down while im so sick. Everything wants to come up

Ive been trying all the suggestions. Ive pureed many different varieties. I was drinking the shakes. But they hurt now. I know that it is all healing, but this is hard.

I have no desire for anything to pass my lips

I was told to take it slow and listen to what my body can tolerate.

i need to keep getting something in me. All i do is rest waiting for it to subside. I am soooo tired

I second Fairlife milk, it is really good. Can drink straight or add to sugar free pudding, coffee, condensed Soups, sugar free hot chocolate, etc. Also Bone Broth. You might want to try Greek yogurt, it is very helpful. Cottage cheese with one ounce Blueberry Applesauce is also worth a try. Cottage cheese can be mixed with spaghetti sauce too. My tastes have changed quite a bit. Keep trying stuff, you may like it now.

I will always recommend the GENEPRO brand of Protein - it's flavorless, and I literally don't even notice it when I add it in with my Crystal Light. Super easy way to get in that protein!

If you like or don't mind Bone Broth I recommend checking out a company called Osso Good Bone broth. They have a ton of options for low calorie, low carb and high Protein bone broths and Soups. They make everything fresh to order and ship it to you. It was a great way to get my protein in early on. I tried the clear Premier Protein drinks, but I have never liked sweet things and they grossed me out. These are super tasty and provided a welcome variety. https://www.ossogoodbones.com