Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your surgeon want you to lose weight before you got surgery

My insurance company required a six-month supervised weight-loss before surgery

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Not losing specifically. Just lifestyle changes, which of course resulted in weight loss

Mine didn't. The only thing he had me do was the pre-op liquid diet for 5 days to shrink my liver.

My insurance company required a six-month supervised weight-loss before surgery

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Mine too. The surgeon didn't require it though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

My doctor's standard rule, 10% of excess weight, but a firm suggestion not an Iron-clad rule.

No, my BMI was 40 and that’s the minimum my insurance would cover without comorbidities. My pre-surgery diet for a week was 1 Protein Shake and 2 lean cuisines a day to shrink my liver.

My dr understood my situation. If I could lose weight and keep it off I wouldn’t be needing the surgery! I had tried every diet, program, protocol, lifestyle change, etc for years. Now, my insurance wanted my weight monitored, and I was asked to adhere to a high Protein, low carb and low fat diet for the 90 days before surgery, and not gain weight.
Then only 7 days before surgery a Liquid Protein diet and 24 hours of no food before. Easy to do for I couldn’t wait for the chance at surgery!

Mine said I could if I wanted to, but it wasn't a big deal. I actually gained a little, whoops.

He and my nutritionist encouraged lifestyle changes, not weight loss Per se. Obviously with the changes came weight loss, but that wasn’t the main goal

Neither my insurance company nor the surgeon required weight loss but I did lose 10 pounds over the course of 2 months after my consult and my surgeon was happy about it.

I followed the Liver shrinking ( Protein, basically liquid diet) because my surgeon specifically asked me to to shrink my liver to make surgery easier and since she had to also repair a hiatal hernia I thought it best I listen to her. There were many people including WLS veterans who told me not to listen and to go have my fun last meals but in the back of my mind I figured doing that pre op diet would put me on the right path for what was to come .. food was NEVER my friend .. I was just tired of using food to feel better, not feel anything, replace relationships and basically run my life.. believe me I LIVED to eat and I chose to stay home alone with my food too many times to count.... I knew I was looking for a way to put food in its proper prospective so I dug in.. I’m sure I will have my slip ups but I am in this to change and I can’t make up my own rules... that got me where I was at 240 and MISERABLE

Edited by Carrot64

No specific weight loss required pre surgery but instead I had to do the liver shrinking diet to make the surgery easier.

I had a list of goals/behavior changes to check off and maintain for a month to qualify through my program. A weight loss of 5% of my body weight was one of the goals.