Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your surgeon want you to lose weight before you got surgery

Did your surgeon want you to lose weight before you got surgery

No, my BMI was barely 40 and I weighed 235 pounds, so there was no suggestion of losing weight before surgery.

Justineek they said your liver was fine during surgery? It’s so different depending on your surgeon. I read some people are on liquid diets! Mine is just low carb but was suggested I only do one week as opposed to two so I don’t fall below BMI.

They did not mentioned loosing but they encourage to make lifestyle changes ahead of surgery. Their focus is more on getting my blood pressure down and physical activity which activity which I do anyway and eating healthier.

Good luck on your journey!

And usually when you do change your lifestyle, when you start thinking a little more rationally than " I got to eat THAT before someone else grabs it and takes it away!" you will naturally lose some weight, I think I lost 16 pounds from when I transferred to OSU and their program and when I had my pre-surgical appointment with Dr Needleman in Mid- July, so maybe 3 or 3.5 months time . Of course I started with a BMI of 50 or just under, so any weight loss was a GOOD THING. 7 months later I have broken the 40 BMI and the 36 BMI barriers and I am Proud Proud Proud of ME! And I know I could not have achieved this success without Dr Needleman's Magic Stapler and my RnY and my Red- headed Stubborness not t9 give up. If you have followed my journey, you know my trek has not been a straight shot, a lot of hair- pin turns, some quicksand, bumps and detours, but Baby I'm in IT to WIN IT and I shall! FYI I decided I really would shrink my liver, did it the entire month of August 2018 and it paid off handsomely, Dr N said my l8ver was smooth and sleek as a newborn calf. After I reassured myself I wasn't gonna be turned into veal, I realized the compliment he paid ME!

I am currently a week into a liquid diet. My surgeon recommended I drop some weight.

I have a week left and I will finally be post op!!

Mine does not require weight loss, but they do not want you to have any weight gain either. (They expressed that it might cause them to cancel surgery.) The focus is on lifestyle changes and exercise in the mean time. I will have to do a two week liquid diet before surgery.

Edited by FluffySaysForkIt!

For me I was only required to be on low carb for 1 week before my surgery. No fuss at all. Had my Surgery in Dubai

My Pre-op will be for 12 days beginning on April 17th. My boys keep me in check especially when I want to snack at nights. "They have no problem telling me "mommy go to bed". lol. It's hard especially when there are tons on restaurants near my home and all I can smell is fried chicken and what not.

My program has asked me to lose 10% of my body weight, and I've been working on that for the last 18 months (yes, my program plays the looooooong game). I'm about 5lb away from that 10% mark at the moment, and I'm hopeful that my pre-op diet will take care of the rest. I've had a lot of difficulties losing anything because of a couple of my medications, and it's been a frustrating road.

I was told to lose 15 lbs, which I did, and then be on a liquid 2 days pre-op.

6 hours ago, SusieQ2019 said:

They did not mentioned loosing but they encourage to make lifestyle changes ahead of surgery. Their focus is more on getting my blood pressure down and physical activity which activity which I do anyway and eating healthier.

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks good luck to you also