Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Vegetarian Recommendations for the Soft Diet Stage

I'm about to enter the soft foods stage of my diet plan and am so excited to actually eat food again instead of just drinking Protein. Does anybody have any vegetarian recommendations for recipes they liked while doing soft foods?

That sounds pretty good! Did you make it yourself or were you able to buy some in store?

If you do dairy, my favorite was Eggface's ricotta bake. I'd often saute a bit of spinach and do a layer of ricotta, a layer of spinach, and then the rest of the ricotta. I make it in small muffin/tiny bread pans, so each one was a serving.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

I also made a (small) pot of black Beans, then pureed them with a bit of broth. Froze them in 1/2c. servings. Heated them up with a bit of cheese on top. If you can stand some heat, you can also add a bit of salsa.

If you'll eat eggs, egg salad is easy. Just puree it instead of rough chop. 2 hard boiled eggs with either some mashed avocado or 1TBL greek yogurt and 1 TBL mayo.

I did really well with soft scrambled eggs, but some people don't.

Greek yogurt (look for high protein/low sugar like Oikos Triple 0)

Added: as a treat, I also do hot cocoa - 1cup fairlife milk (13g protein), 1 TBL unsweetened cocoa, 1 packet artificial sweetener, 1 drop of vanilla (and sometimes a drop of peppermint extract)

Edited by notmyname

The ricotta bake looks delish! I'm really excited to give that a try!

I've seen a lot of people have trouble with scrambled eggs and am nervous about that, pre-surg I loved scrambled eggs, I hope they don't betray me!

Thanks for the tips!

Just now, ItsABearDance said:

The ricotta bake looks delish! I'm really excited to give that a try!

I've seen a lot of people have trouble with scrambled eggs and am nervous about that, pre-surg I loved scrambled eggs, I hope they don't betray me!

Thanks for the tips!

Also on the ricotta bake, sometimes I add a small spoonful of pesto - delicious! Or some pureed sweet potatoes. Sounds weird, but very good. It also freezes well. Just wet a paper towel and cover it when you reheat it in the microwave to keep it moist. Or add a touch of milk to it.

Both of these additions sound yummy! My stomach is growling just thinking about this. (Seriously, I am so excited to move on from liquids).

I'm also glad to hear it freezes well. I feel like pre-surg I was already having trouble making too much food for one person and now I'm dividing the portions even more so freeze-ability is a huge plus!

I love Butternut Squash Soup, Yes brand from Campbell's is pretty good but I got energetic and made up my own. And, like most things you do yourself it was better. Added some cinnamon, my favourite spice but I am thinking a little allspice might have been more robust instead.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, Frustr8 said:

I love Butternut Squash Soup, Yes brand from Campbell's is pretty good but I got energetic and made up my own. And, like most things you do yourself it was better. Added some cinnamon, my favourite spice but I am thinking a little allspice might have been more robust instead.

Oh, I also love Butternut Squash Soup, that's a great idea! I'm also on a cooking kick, so I might give a recipe a go!

I steamed the heck out of cauliflower, mashed it and added a couple of table spoons of alfredo sauce.

Refried Beans are great with a bit of cheese on top.

I love ethnic foods, so I'm downing Ethiopian vegetables such as lentils, beets (chewed fully), collard greens, yellow split peas, etc. One restaurant serving lasts me for 3 - 4 meals. Will probably move to West African foods next week.

Both of these suggestions sound fantastic!

I love cauliflower and adding alfredo sounds like a fun way to get some flavor!

I've never had Ethiopian food or West African food, but it would be fun to try! Do you find the food is usually pretty healthy even coming from a restaurant?

Butternut squash Soup with a scoop of GENEPRO powder was a go to. Veggie chili made with black Beans, lentils and soy grounds.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, ItsABearDance said:

I've never had Ethiopian food or West African food, but it would be fun to try! Do you find the food is usually pretty healthy even coming from a restaurant?

Yes. However I usually check the health inspection reports of any restaurant I patronize.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, ItsABearDance said:

On 3/26/2019 at 1:19 PM, ItsABearDance said:

I'm about to enter the soft foods stage of my diet plan and am so excited to actually eat food again instead of just drinking Protein. Does anybody have any vegetarian recommendations for recipes they liked while doing soft foods?

Some of my soft-food favorites have been: