Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 3/31/2019 at 11:40 AM, dreamingofasleeve said:

Hi not scheduled but have been struggling with heartburn and have considered a revision just want to follow everyone and see how you all do!
I never had heartburn pre sleeve and it is so awful and frustrating
This was one of my fears getting surgery as I didn't want to have to revise to rny.
I am only 4.5 months out from my sleeve and everyone tells me to give it time but it's just scary. Just trying to be ok with it if this is the path I need to take!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

That was my experience with the sleeve too. I never had heartburn before surgery, and it was in full force afterwards. My surgeon told me that if I still needed to take the reflux medication a year post op that I should make an appointment to see him. I was so stubborn and didn't want to have to get another surgery so I suffered through almost another year of really bad reflux. Finally 3 months ago I decided enough was enough. I had to go through some awful awful tests to give my surgeon enough info to recommend the revision surgery. I just hope after all this I can finally get some relief.

Hopefully you won't still have the reflux after a year out but if you do just be prepared to possibly have to go through another surgery. This might help you down the line if you're doubting getting the surgery, I have to keep reminding myself of the bigger picture here because if I don't get the surgery to fix this then that acid will more than likely do some serious damage to my esophagus (more than it already has).

That was my experience with the sleeve too. I never had heartburn before surgery, and it was in full force afterwards. My surgeon told me that if I still needed to take the reflux medication a year post op that I should make an appointment to see him. I was so stubborn and didn't want to have to get another surgery so I suffered through almost another year of really bad reflux. Finally 3 months ago I decided enough was enough. I had to go through some awful awful tests to give my surgeon enough info to recommend the revision surgery. I just hope after all this I can finally get some relief.
Hopefully you won't still have the reflux after a year out but if you do just be prepared to possibly have to go through another surgery. This might help you down the line if you're doubting getting the surgery, I have to keep reminding myself of the bigger picture here because if I don't get the surgery to fix this then that acid will more than likely do some serious damage to my esophagus (more than it already has).
Ugh it's so awful I really didn't want to get another surgery and thought I would be ok because I never had issues before.
It just scares me I didn't want rny. The process of moving everything around scares me.
But you only get one esophagus, and 2 kidneys which long term PPI can cause kidney problems.
I know a lot of people do just fine with rny but it just wasn't what I thought id possibly be doing. I hope and pray it goes away but right now the future looks bleak.

I look forward to seeing how you do!
I hope everything goes perfectly.

why do you have to bypass? Couldn't it be a hiatal hernia that can be repaired? I would ask that question before going through a process you don't really want.

why do you have to bypass? Couldn't it be a hiatal hernia that can be repaired? I would ask that question before going through a process you don't really want.
I'm not sure if your talking to me...
But I haven't had a scope yet to see what is causing it. I will talk with my surgeon at my 6 month appointment and we will see what she wants to do.
I just have terrible anxiety and think waaayyyy into the future.
It's a bad habit. But I'm just trying to keep an open mind and prepare myself if this is something I need to do.

my surgery is may 3rd and I can't wait. my Dr calls it my trifecta 😊

RNY May 6th! 🙋‍♀️I'm starting the pre-op liver shrinking diet the day after Easter so I get a last hurrah with the family before then! I'm really looking forward to the surgery, I feel like I'll finally have a huge part of my life under control.

2 minutes ago, wallpapermusic said:

RNY May 6th! 🙋‍♀️I'm starting the pre-op liver shrinking diet the day after Easter so I get a last hurrah with the family before then! I'm really looking forward to the surgery, I feel like I'll finally have a huge part of my life under control.

Awesome! Mine is May 2nd. Yes, Easter is absolutely a last hurrah, but I am also planning a trip to Shogun. I guess it needs to be this weekend too, so I can start dieting before my pre-op weigh in. My Dr did not say I HAD to loose weight, but suggested a 5 - 7 pound weight loss. I will give it a good try. My pre-op is Apr 30.

Hello everyone. I’m so glad to see this forum. I’m planning a revision to the mini bypass as well. I was originally sleeved in 2013. As with everyone else, I’m plagued with heartburn and weight gain. I’m planning to self pay and return to my original surgeon. I’m hoping to have my surgery sometime this summer.

So hard to get serious about a pre-op diet. I really don't have one, except I am supposed to lose 5 pounds. Seriously going to have to stick to liquids before my pre-op appt. And wear my lightest weight clothes and no jewelry! tee hee

I am set for May 6th for the bypass. I hope all of you the best of luck on your day.

And Good Luck on your day @Mamabearof4boys. Your cubs will end up so proud of their Mama and we all will be cheering for you on Bariatric Pal!

Hey you guys,
I am absolutely miserable with my reflux getting soooooo much worse than it was before sleeve surgery and apparentlyhappens a lot with the sleeve. I was told that it would totally get rid of the reflux. That only lasted 6 wks and when food actually got added back to my diet it has gotten so bad.
I am in process of getting approved for the RNY revision from my 2 insurance companies due to the fact that it's gotten so bad that I have just been diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus due to the reflux.
Good luck with your surgery's.
I'm more concerned about this surgery than the first one but it has got to be done.
Allie in SC

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app