Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Walmart rotisserie chicken have too much sodium?

Does anyone know if Walmart rotisserie chicken is harmful 3 weeks post op for VSG?

I don't know about the sodium, but i can't eat chicken, or regular food until 7 weeks post surgery. I think i can have ground up chicken earlier, though. Ask your team.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I looked it up on MyFitnessPal.com and it doesn't look like it has too much sodium. 47 g for 1 oz

26 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I looked it up on MyFitnessPal.com and it doesn't look like it has too much sodium. 47 g for 1 oz

Sodium is usually measured in milligrams, not grams. I don't know if it was entered incorrectly on MyFitnessPal or a simple mistake when you typed it out. 47mg isn't too bad but 47g would be a salt block!

But thats not the reason I commented.

I looked up the question with a Google search and the result I found is 620mg in 3oz of chicken.

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/wal-mart/rotisserie-chicken

440mg of sodium for 2oz (scanned barcode with Baritastic app.)

As with most anything that you buy from a store, it will have more sodium than if you made it yourself, and might be something to be concerned about if one is on a low sodium diet. However, for most of us that first year, we are eating so little that it is hard to get too much sodium (indeed, some who suffer from orthstatic hypotension will be advised to increase their sodium intake!) so it is very much an individual situation.

As to whether chicken is appropriate at this stage for the OP, that too, is very individual and varies from one program to another. If it is on the program's menu at this time, then rotisserie chicken is a classic choice, particularly the dark meat as it tends to be moist and goes down easily.

Thanks everyone. I’m supposed to be on purées at this time but didn’t understand 3 weeks meant 3 weeks behind me not in my 3rd week. I began eating regular food. My dr. was appalled. But since I had not issues he told me to keep going slowly and mostly our bodies tell us when the time is right.

im entering my 3rd week and struggling to get enough Protein that isnt all shakes. I just bought one of those chickens. De-boned it. Threw all the bones into the stock pot. Cleaned out the refridg of odds and ends of vegetables. I also threw away the skin but left in the gel part. I simmered it, strained the broth and set it in the refrigerator over night. I skimmed the fat this morning. Then took all the bits and pieces of chicken and pureed it. This eve i used about a ladle of the congealed broth, added veg , finely chopped and simmered till VERY soft. Added a tablespoon or so of chicken to the broth and seasoned it to taste. It was so comforting. I look a looooong time to eat 1\2 cup or so. I simply must take it slow with the food. Otherwise, only pureed foods thus far and liquids

My husband will have some meals of the larger pieces of chicken.

Im resting and napping quite a bit during the day.

A couple of good days, then a set back. i finally have had a couple of full nights sleep

Sounds like you and your body are settling into a Nice rhythm, may it continue!

I did rotisserie chicken in my early soft food stage.