Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does drinking mean?

If you mean drinking alcohol, wait at least 6-8 months before you try 1 drink.

My doctor had me wait 3 months and on the 3 month mark I had me some wine!

My doc is super conservative compared to most. He says no alcohol for a year. I'm 6 months out and haven't tried any yet only because I try to be super picky about what I ingest to maximize my tool. Alcohol is protein-less calories so I don't want it yet! I will very probably go the full year without any alcohol.

2 hours ago, KT1981 said:

My doc is super conservative compared to most. He says no alcohol for a year. I'm 6 months out and haven't tried any yet only because I try to be super picky about what I ingest to maximize my tool. Alcohol is protein-less calories so I don't want it yet! I will very probably go the full year without any alcohol.

My doctor was also very strong in teaching everyone in the preop class no alcohol for one year.

Mine said no Booze.. EVER.. never ever. I was told that after surgery it can lead to abuse even if you did not abuse before.

1 hour ago, mrblond said:

Mine said no Booze.. EVER.. never ever. I was told that after surgery it can lead to abuse even if you did not abuse before.

I agree. I have heard that it is far too easy to trade one addiction for another. That said, I feel sure that there are plenty of people out there that can enjoy a glass of wine or a beer every now and then. Alcohol is not important to me and I may never try it.

i have also heard that if you do drink, use caution. It will hit you much quicker and harder than it did before surgery.

yeah, my surgeon said its a bit of a trip, your hammered off a drink, then sober like 20 minutes later. I used to drink quite a bit but been sober for a year and a half so its not a huge deal for me. maybe i'll have a drink at some point, maybe not.

I had a few drinks at 4 months post op. No issues, but everyone is different

I'm a little over 1 year post op and I've only had one drink, a rum and diet on New Years Eve. It was widely regarded as a very bad move and I actually have just decided to not drink anymore. Alcoholism and addiction runs in my family and I would rather go out with my friends and be the Sober Group Mom than risk that.

That said, some bars will give you a wrist band for free soft drinks if you say you're the designated driver and Mama LOOOOVES herself some free unsweetened ice tea.

Seeing as I just love to Sin I had my first drink, homemade sugar-free, no carb margarita (through a straw no less) about 6 or 7 weeks after my surgery. I was amazing. I limited myself to one drink as it didn't hit me hard. I haven't had anything since. I have no regrets ;)

On 04/29/2019 at 10:06 PM ,LadySin said:

Seeing as I just love to Sin I had my first drink, homemade sugar-free, no carb margarita (through a straw no less) about 6 or 7 weeks after my surgery. I was amazing. I limited myself to one drink as it didn't hit me hard. I haven't had anything since. I have no regrets ;)

Well it doesn't seem like it harmed you too much. Little Sin. not harmful, just proves you're human like the rest of us!,

way I see it, ya have to live your life. We are not all joining a monastery or anything. have a drink if you want, just dont drink the whole bottle and dont do it every day.

Same goes with food. Looking at my recommended things the Dr wants me to eat, no way. I will have a fat, juicy cheeseburger and fries some time. just not every week...need to have balance in all things..