Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do people have trouble swallowing after surgery?

I hope someone can explain to me why people have trouble swallowing after surgery. Is it due to nausea, and you just feel like you're going to throw up? The surgery doesnt involve the esophagus or throat, so I just don't get it!! My RNY is in 5 days, so maybe I'll figure it out the hard way, but I hope I don't have problems swallowing!! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Various individual reasons like nausea, Inflammation, stress from surgical tools in esophagus, dehydration, stricture, etc...

But none of these ever happened to me and have hope/belief it will never happen to you

Congratulations on the upcoming surgery

💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

I'm not sure as I didn't have any troubles with swallowing.

7 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Various individual reasons like nausea, Inflammation, stress from surgical tools in esophagus, dehydration, stricture, etc...

But none of these ever happened to me and have hope/belief it will never happen to you

Congratulations on the upcoming surgery

💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

Thanks for your reply Green Tealael! I hope I don't have any problems swallowing too! BTW, I just love reading your posts. Always encouraging and helpful.

3 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I'm not sure as I didn't have any troubles with swallowing.

Thanks GradyCat! I'm glad to hear you didn't have problems. From reading on here it seems common!!

I lost my ability to swallow after surgery. I don't know why. I felt like it would get stuck on the way down. I relied on pill crushers and pill splitters. My ability to swallow returned after a couple months.

Sorry to hear that, James, but so glad you got back your ability to swallow. That must've been a pain!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had sleeve and I counted myself as someone with no complications, but like most I struggled to get any more than a tiny sip down initially. That’s just because anything hitting a stomach that has been so severely messed about with is going to get a reaction. For me the reaction was a tightening (think a stomach wincing) and I had to take a pause before another sip.

Over first ten days went to shorter and shorter pauses between sips, to two or three sips in a row, to mouthfuls, to two to three mouthfuls in a row. Everyone repeats ‘sip, sip, sip’ as a mantra, so worried that meant I had a baggy sleeve, but surgeon and dietician said no, just less sore and swollen stomach tolerating more.

If you didn’t mean that and meant throat problems then sorry for taking you off at a tangent! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk