Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 years out....

I had my surgery in May 2014. I have slowly gained 50 lbs back of the 125 lbs that I originally lost. How can I shrink my stomach and lose this weight? Any help is appreciated.

Are you still on lifetime care with your bariatric office? Maybe the nutritionists there might have some advice. I see articles about pouch reset diets and going 1 or 2 weeks on liquids only and then back to 600-800 calories a day like you did right after surgery. Maybe that'll help? Good luck.

here's the thing....you gotta address the disease of obesity....the noise in your head that pollutes your determination to be (& enjoy) good health.

A 50 lb gain suggests you're "off program". It's a symptom of your disease of obesity.

Make appointment for follow-up. Speak w nutritionist in bariatric program. Weekly weigh ins @ the surgeon's office doesn't require an appointment, & makes you accountable. Get to support group.

There's no shame in the struggle. Anyone posting here has been & is, in the same boat.

3 hours ago, rperchard said:

it's a symptom of your disease of obesity.

For me it's my disease of compulsive over eating. Despite my WLS I still have the disease and I struggle with it every day.

3 hours ago, rperchard said:

Get to support group.

I go to a therapist who recommended Over eaters Anonymous (OA). It's patterned after Alcohol Anonymous (AA) and I also attend monthly group meetings sponsored by my surgeon. With OA I have a group of people I can call or text if I feel that I will eat something not on my food plan and they offer me constructive support. There are those that can stop eating when ever they want I can't I need to constantly work on it. One day at a time. Seek help and build on your past success. Good Luck.

Congrats on all that work. Sincerely.

You're right, struggle is ongoing.

My path has been similar. Indeed: 1 day @ a time.

I will be 5 years post op coming this November. Trying to get back on track can be tough. I limited my calorie intake to 1200 calories and I’ve found that walking, using myfitnesspal, and getting my Protein, Fiber and Water helps. Not to mention your daily Vitamin supplement (which I am currently finding to fit my needs. I’m only taking a One a day, but I know that is not enough.)

For the longest time I couldn't tolerate large pills (like multivits & Calcium tabs). I found both in chewable form...Centrum mutivit & Caltrate (calcium) chewables the most palatable...sort of like Necco wafers candy. Was easiest to obtain consistently, via Amazon.

Really cemented my compliance....confirmed by annual lab values. Sounds crazy, maybe, but my refrigerator door is my go to place for posting positive reinforcement stuff. Of all kinds. And when those struggle days/hours come along, I'll read them aloud.

Self-talk is not beyond me, either: "is this true, body hunger or is this need something else?" That slows me down, which helps.

Sending good energy your way.

what are your stats if I may ask ( height, sw, hw, one year weight)

hospital weight and starting weight

It's been 14 yrs since my surgery....I no longer remember those numbers. I can "ballpark" some numbers.

Hgt: 5'6".

Peak weight: 305. I lost, maybe 30 lbs of that before I even started program. Still, I had to lose "x" amount of weight pre-op (a percentage). There was approx 6 mos from 1st day in program to surgery date. I do recall my pre-op BMI met the eligibility criteria.

Sorry I can't recall more.