Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow I have my first appointment with the psychiatrist. I was emailed a bunch of paperwork to fill out before my visit. As many of you may know they ask a lot of questions about your health, family, food, etc. I have heard many people say just be honest with your answers.

So yes I have rapid mood swings, fatigue, sense of hopelessness, loss of sexual desire, thoughts of dying, negative thoughts, crying episodes, etc. Who doesn’t have at least 1 or 2 of these emotional behaviors.
So I want be honest about this , because I need this surgery. How did do in your Psych Eval, were you HONEST??????

Tomorrow I have my first appointment with the psychiatrist. I was emailed a bunch of paperwork to fill out before my visit. As many of you may know they ask a lot of questions about your health, family, food, etc. I have heard many people say just be honest with your answers.

So yes I have rapid mood swings, fatigue, sense of hopelessness, loss of sexual desire, thoughts of dying, negative thoughts, crying episodes, etc. Who doesn’t have at least 1 or 2 of these emotional behaviors.
So I want be honest about this , because I need this surgery. How did do in your Psych Eval, were you HONEST??????
I was honest. I have Bipolar disorder and a history of eating disorders including anorexia and bulimia. I also didn't have a great childhood. My psych eval wasn't that bad, and although I was honest, the psychiatrist recommended me for bariatric surgery. I have supports in place, and am medically stable. Best wishes to you! It will be fine!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Ok think about the questions they asked and how they can be construed when answered. It will save you from a lot of follow up questions! Anything that relates to weight i.e. fatigue, mobility, pain can easily be explained as weight related. The rapid mood swings, thoughts of dying, crying episodes? Ask yourself if they are normal thoughts or emotions that probably everyone has. If the answer is yes than it's not a problem so don't tell them that it is. It's just normal human emotions/feelings/thoughts. Of course if you do think it's out of the norm then you can tell them and they can help you work through your problems.

That’s the thing I believe a lot of this is just that Human feelings and thoughts. I’m a 44 yr old woman so yes my body is feeling many different things and I don’t want Psych Dr. telling me I have issues when I know better. So how about I just answer No and move on .

I'm a 49 year old woman and I can definitely relate. So what you're going through sounds normal. Don't make more of it than what it is or they will too. Good luck!

Put a smile on your face, keep conviction in your ❤and know you are doing the best thing possible for you at this time. You'll do just fine!

I was totally honest, but then again I had to be because my psych eval/approval was done by my own psychiatrist that I see for Depression and Anxiety.

I have mine scheduled a couple weeks from now and I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous about it but I believe honesty is best with any provider. My childhood was pretty sucky but I've always been a glass half full type of person and am able to quickly move beyond a set back. I'm kind of thankful for a sucky childhood because it made me resilient and able to handle anything life threw at me. Just be honest and truthful, many of these psychologists and psychiatrists can see right through the lies, and if they give you standardized questionnaires there are built in "lie detectors" that can tell when you're trying to cheat the system.

Well my appointment with the Psychiatrist went well. I spent most of my time answering a 370 questionnaire and listening to the Dr speak to a group of 10. After that we each had a one on one visit that lasted about 30 minutes.
I also meet with the dietician and say the surgeon assistant to go over my labs. Next month will be my last weigh in and the last step is my sleep study. I did gain 3lbs. so hopefully that want cause any issues with the insurance approval. My goal is to loose 10lbs by my next visit and hopefully I will be approved for May.

It's such a good feeling when you've checked off one of your requirements. I know you must be glad this one is done 😊

I am in the process of trying to find someone to do my psych eval! The clinic that my surgeon's office usually uses is not booking appointments at all at least for the next two weeks and then there is a list of appointments they have to book. I go for my Education class and my actual consultation next week. I already have my letter of medical necessity and attended the information seminar, how did you find your provider to do your psych eval?

On 03/19/2019 at 19:06, Heather0309 said:

I am in the process of trying to find someone to do my psych eval! The clinic that my surgeon's office usually uses is not booking appointments at all at least for the next two weeks and then there is a list of appointments they have to book. I go for my Education class and my actual consultation next week. I already have my letter of medical necessity and attended the information seminar, how did you find your provider to do your psych eval?

My surgeons office scheduled my Psych eval with a company that they work with. I live in Austin TX and my surgeon and Psychiatrist are based in San Antonio TX , but they travel to Austin once a month for services.

I was honest and it pushed my surgery out 6 months. So it took a year in a half for me to finally get my date. I will have my surgery tomorrow, but I had to put up with a doctor's trying to talk me out of the surgery. I can say that most people say my situation with the crazy psychiatrist was not normal.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using BariatricPal mobile app

24 minutes ago, othella said:

I was honest and it pushed my surgery out 6 months. So it took a year in a half for me to finally get my date. I will have my surgery tomorrow, but I had to put up with a doctor's trying to talk me out of the surgery. I can say that most people say my situation with the crazy psychiatrist was not normal.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using BariatricPal mobile app

So sorry... I've seen this before when in my profession, I used to work with some mental health examiners. That's why I say if it's not a problem don't write it down as it is.

For example- Do you see visions? Your answer might be YES! And the reason why is (Because you often visualize how you'll look when your fit and healthy) They will construe the answer a lot differently.) Mind you this is just an example. So this question would be answered NO! Other wise your going to have to explain yourself.

On 3/19/2019 at 7:06 PM, Heather0309 said:

If your insurance doesn't need an approval from Primary doctor. Then you can go to any mental health office. I am glad the Bastric doctor recommended me to a physician. I have my own therapists and medical provider in which she said she will not approve anyone, so bypassed that. Good luck finding the right physcian.