Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else find it difficult with liver shrinking diet with their surgeries?

my mind is messing with me knowing that'll it be the last time probably that i'll probably never be able to eat all my fav foods. im sticking to it! but mentally it's draining on me.

It was difficult for the first 3 days for me, after that the hunger was gone. You're doing well sticking with it and it is draining mentally and physically. I was really tired on my 2 week liquid diet. I also stuck to mine because I didn't want there to be any complications because my liver didn't shrink enough, which there wasn't. The diet will really help to prepare you for after surgery as you will only be able to drink for a little while and you will have already been doing that so you'll be ready. Best wishes with your surgery and a speedy recovery.

Day 8 of mine. I will say it gets easier, but you feel kind of funky due to how low calorie your diet is.

I am on day 7 of mine and I'm ready to stab someone (not literally). I think my family is keeping their distance due to my grumpiness and realize why I'm a bit flustered.

To your point, though, I am of the same mindset. I keep thinking about never having beer or pizza or other things I used to love again because I will never be successful long term if I don't change my habits while the honeymoon stage is in effect.

I'm drinking so many fluids I can never be far away from a washroom, it's kinda irritating, however, the big picture is always on my mind when I feel weak. Just don't let yourself be alone during this time and you won't be tempted to cheat, hopefully.

I start mine on Wednesday and not looking forward to it!! If you all can do it, I can too!! Let's all encourage each other!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery is the 27th but I only have to do the full liquid diet the day before. But these last few days I’ve had the same the same thoughts. Thinking about all the foods I will have to give up for life. I’m struggling with it and I’m still on real food. I have given up almost anything good for 3-4 months but I always knew I COULD have it, but to know I CAN’T is really messing with my mind

My surgery is the 26th. I’m pretty flippin miserable. The first 4 days I had diarrhea and the last 4 days I haven’t had a bm. I crave something different every day. Day one it was chipotle. Today it’s ice cream from DQ. I have my period rn - just making this whole journey harder.

My pre op liquid diet has been painful. A total mental struggle! I’ll do good for a couple days then cheat. First cheat was bad on day 3, after that got better at coping but still have Small cheats. Not proud of it. I’m getting better and better but it’s hard. I’ve lost 11 pounds so far so I’m thinking my liver is shrinking. I have 4 days left of my diet and will be following to a T. I know my digestive system needs to be clear and calm for surgery.

What i I don’t get is why some people’s pre op diet is not liquid until 1 or 2 days before surgery. Urgggg. So weird my doctor chose the 14 day liquid diet when others offer one that is just low carb low fat till couple days before surgery.

oh yeah surgery March 25th

Edited by Heather-ish

Heather - I am dealing/feeling the exact same as you. I’ve cheated, but only small cheats, except I had two slices of pb&j toast over the weekend. I researched how some other surgeons prescribe the diet and decided that I would stay low carb and have a salad with grilled chicken (on 3 occasions now) because I wanted to chew. The carbs and sugars were still below 10.

So with you Rachel! I had egg drop Soup today and a piece of toast with cheese (should have done without the toast) but considering my first cheat on day 3 after a stressful situation was Golden Corral I am doing much better at coping. I know the main goal is shrinking a liver. I’ve researched and losing weight In general shrinks a liver so I feel I’m still doing ok. Like I said though I’ll be doing it perfectly now that I’m so close to surgery. How has it been for you losing on low carb? When is your surgery?

The pre op week and the week after are rough physically and mentally. I was so lethargic! I’m not going to lie, the mental struggle has been the hardest part for me. But with each tiny victory it DOES get easier. And you don’t have to think of it as NEVER being able to have pizza again. Once you get to maintenance I’m sure you can enjoy a slice (just not the whole pie!!! 😂) Good luck to all of you. Your future healthy self is going to thank you and be so proud 😘

Edited by DanaC84
Mistake

2 minutes ago, Heather-ish said:

So with you Rachel! I had egg drop Soup today and a piece of toast with cheese (should have done without the toast) but considering my first cheat on day 3 after a stressful situation was Golden Corral I am doing much better at coping. I know the main goal is shrinking a liver. I’ve researched and losing weight In general shrinks a liver so I feel I’m still doing ok. Like I said though I’ll be doing it perfectly now that I’m so close to surgery. How has it been for you losing on low carb? When is your surgery?

I am pretty much all liquid with only those couple exceptions. My tummy grumbles a lot. The day before my liquid diet began I weighed 237 on the scale at my clinic. I’m down to 230.

I’m on day 3 of my liquid diet and I don’t know what to do with myself. All I think about is food. Plain Greek yogurt taste horrible. I’m not sure what other yogurts I’m allowed to have. I’m always hungry I just don’t know anymore. They say it gets easier on day 3 but clearly not for me because I’m miserable 😖. Any tips?