Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety at a high - 1 day til surgery

Hi all! I have Gastric Sleeve Surgery on Monday 3/18/19. I’ve had anxiety a lot of my life, which my outward sign is nausea, which causes more anxiety, which causes more nausea... you get the picture, lol.

I’ve been on my pre op liquid diet for 9 days, tomorrow being my 10th, & my last sleep before surgery... AHHHH!

I’m super excited for the outcome, but terrified of the pain & nausea after surgery. The anesthesiologist plans to give me something to calm me before surgery & plans to double up on my nausea meds before I wake up after, but I am still worried about it. Any tips, tricks, success stories of no nausea, etc. that will help put my mind at ease?

Thanks so much!!!!!

I didn't have any nausea. Also, when you are first drinking liquids, even if you throw up it will only be a little bit of liquid, not such a big deal. I didn't even take all my pain meds and the pain was not bad. Good luck, I'm sure everything will go well and your doctor sounds attentive to your concerns.

The first day post-op is the worst, but after that it's easy peasy with no nausea or pain. Good luck!

On 03/16/2019 at 23:07, larissasmith07 said:

Hi all! I have Gastric Sleeve Surgery on Monday 3/18/19. I’ve had anxiety a lot of my life, which my outward sign is nausea, which causes more anxiety, which causes more nausea... you get the picture, lol.

I’ve been on my pre op liquid diet for 9 days, tomorrow being my 10th, & my last sleep before surgery... AHHHH!

I’m super excited for the outcome, but terrified of the pain & nausea after surgery. The anesthesiologist plans to give me something to calm me before surgery & plans to double up on my nausea meds before I wake up after, but I am still worried about it. Any tips, tricks, success stories of no nausea, etc. that will help put my mind at ease?

Thanks so much!!!!!
One more sleep? ?!! Yay!!!! The pain varies from person to person. They ask you repeatedly what’s your level of pain and mine was never over a 6/7. Talk to your anesthesia team and stress how you are prone to nausea . I used to get violently sick after surgeries from nausea but they have come SO far with being able to manage it. Once they give you that relaxing medication you won’t care about anything! Lol! They also gave me an anti nausea patch I wore behind my ear for the first three days.
Good luck and keep us updated on your progress 👍🏻

You will do fine! Definitely ask for the scopolamine patch behind your ear and the zofran. Together my nausea (surgery 3/12) was very manageable. Good luck!!

I was sleeved over 4 years ago. I was never nauseous & have never thrown up. I do, however, understand your anxiety. Keep breathing. You're going to get through this. Winston Churchill said, "If you're going through hell, keep going." Good luck! You are not alone!