Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What The Hell Man

I also think that the people who see us day to day are so used to us being large, that when we are a bit smaller it looks like we're tiny to them. I've had the OMG are you sick comments - because my surgery was in the winter when everyone hibernates around here and my neighbours hadn't really seen me for months. The truth is that I'm only *just* out of the Obese BMI and into the Overweight category - but people the same height as me but 20+ lbs lighter think I look too thin! Bizarre.

I'm going home to Ireland for my yearly visit in 2 weeks, and no one there has seen me since last summer, waaaay pre-op. I'm readying myself for the onslaught.

i really thought this thread would go viral are people just not responding i know you all have had experiences like these for sure i have most recently been asked if i was dying and you should really stop loosing weight now was the latest thats enough now has been said because i am getting healthy and feeling great you want me to stop being happy and come sit on the bench with miscible and unhealthy no ill pass been there and still have a lot of the shirts and pants to prove it with all that said now i want to say thank you to all of you you guys understand our journeys and give great support when needed thank you

I'm experiencing the same thing, it's SO strange. My dad, (who drove me to get sleeved and took care of my dogs during the first week of recovery) has been telling me recently I'm taking this "whole DIET thing too far". This was after a recent BBQ. I ate a couple of bites of chicken and some grilled veggies. I replied, "I literally can't fit anything more into my stomach". His response was "just have a few more bites". Took me back to being 5 years old and having to clean my plate. But it's not just him, my mother tells me I look good, but I'm a little too "bony".

When I was big, I was invisible to men and women (in general) were nicer. Now, men are nicer to me get catcalled on a daily basis and women are generally rude for no reason. I don't get that "thing" women have against other women. Can't we all just be nice to each other regardless of weight, race, political views...etc? There is some meme somewhere that says if drunk women in restrooms at bars/clubs were as nice to each other on a daily basis...the world would be a better place. LOL If you're a man and don't understand the reference, it's true. I've never been to a bar or club and gone into the restroom and not met the nicest women.

I've been open about having the surgery...so even when you do tell people that you had it, they still don't get it. I've explained in detail to several family members what the procedure was, yet, they still think "She needs to eat more, this isn't healthy". I explain how many supplements I take to make up for the lack of nutrients that I would usually get with food. Still. Don't. Get. It.

I have a healthy BMI, I feel great and I'm just following my protocol. I got crap for being fat and crap for being skinny. I just know I'm happy and that's all that matters...it gets under my skin, but only momentarily. Hang in there everyone!

Hey everyone. Sorry for the hiatus from this thread. I appreciate everyone's responses and insight. I need to find some support. I actually gained about 11 pounds and I need to get it off. Of course everyone thinks I look fine and I should stay at my current weight (180), my all time lowest was 168, and I hovered around 170-172 for months. I did fall off the wagon, which I take responsibility for. I felt comfortable and confident at 170, and I have to get there again. I just hope I didn't do any damage in my shennanigans.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:32 PM, Boldilocks said:

I also think that the people who see us day to day are so used to us being large, that when we are a bit smaller it looks like we're tiny to them. I've had the OMG are you sick comments - because my surgery was in the winter when everyone hibernates around here and my neighbours hadn't really seen me for months. The truth is that I'm only *just* out of the Obese BMI and into the Overweight category - but people the same height as me but 20+ lbs lighter think I look too thin! Bizarre.

I'm going home to Ireland for my yearly visit in 2 weeks, and no one there has seen me since last summer, waaaay pre-op. I'm readying myself for the onslaught.

Have a great trip! Please report back about the reaction - good & bad - when everyone saw you.

LOL! You might walk pass them in the airport & laugh because they didn't recognize you! Now THAT would be both FUNNY & FUN!!

Safe travels!

On 6/27/2019 at 3:42 PM, danieocean said:

There is some meme somewhere that says if drunk women in restrooms at bars/clubs were as nice to each other on a daily basis...the world would be a better place. LOL If you're a man and don't understand the reference, it's true. I've never been to a bar or club and gone into the restroom and not met the nicest women.

THIS is SO TRUE!

On 7/7/2019 at 4:22 PM, BuzzVSG said:

Hey everyone. Sorry for the hiatus from this thread. I appreciate everyone's responses and insight. I need to find some support. I actually gained about 11 pounds and I need to get it off. Of course everyone thinks I look fine and I should stay at my current weight (180), my all time lowest was 168, and I hovered around 170-172 for months. I did fall off the wagon, which I take responsibility for. I felt comfortable and confident at 170, and I have to get there again. I just hope I didn't do any damage in my shennanigans.

Find a weight you feel healthy at. Does not matter what other people think. (unless your BMI is underweight) I work a ten-pound weight bounce up and down the scale over the years. It’s just how maintenance works for me. I have times I indulge within reason. When the scale moves up, I get back in weight loss mode.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:42 PM, danieocean said:

I'm experiencing the same thing, it's SO strange. My dad, (who drove me to get sleeved and took care of my dogs during the first week of recovery) has been telling me recently I'm taking this "whole DIET thing too far". This was after a recent BBQ. I ate a couple of bites of chicken and some grilled veggies. I replied, "I literally can't fit anything more into my stomach". His response was "just have a few more bites". Took me back to being 5 years old and having to clean my plate. But it's not just him, my mother tells me I look good, but I'm a little too "bony".

When I was big, I was invisible to men and women (in general) were nicer. Now, men are nicer to me get catcalled on a daily basis and women are generally rude for no reason. I don't get that "thing" women have against other women. Can't we all just be nice to each other regardless of weight, race, political views...etc? There is some meme somewhere that says if drunk women in restrooms at bars/clubs were as nice to each other on a daily basis...the world would be a better place. LOL If you're a man and don't understand the reference, it's true. I've never been to a bar or club and gone into the restroom and not met the nicest women.

I've been open about having the surgery...so even when you do tell people that you had it, they still don't get it. I've explained in detail to several family members what the procedure was, yet, they still think "She needs to eat more, this isn't healthy". I explain how many supplements I take to make up for the lack of nutrients that I would usually get with food. Still. Don't. Get. It.

I have a healthy BMI, I feel great and I'm just following my protocol. I got crap for being fat and crap for being skinny. I just know I'm happy and that's all that matters...it gets under my skin, but only momentarily. Hang in there everyone!

I love what you posted. I kind of expected to be treated a bit differently after weight loss (invisible when I was obese) It was weird to experience it for myself. For whatever reason, people are body conscious. Some will make positive or negative comment at any size you are. Comments may not be helpful when you are adjusting to your new size. Years out, People adjust to your weight and life becomes more normal.

I stopped trying to explain things to people that don’t get it. Just smile and eat as you do.

Some women (not all) can be competitive. I would rather be the woman that builds others up than tearing them down. A compliment from another woman is wonderful... Because it’s kind of rare for me. One of my friends confided in me that she hates how her husband checks me out. (he had an affair in the past) Its more about him than it is about me. Most men check women out and it doesn’t mean he’s going to cheat. My husband is an old fart and looks but does not touch. Honestly, I look. I hope I’m not as obvious as my husband *laughing*

21 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

I love what you posted. I kind of expected to be treated a bit differently after weight loss (invisible when I was obese) It was weird to experience it for myself. For whatever reason, people are body conscious. Some will make positive or negative comment at any size you are. Comments may not be helpful when you are adjusting to your new size. Years out, People adjust to your weight and life becomes more normal.

I stopped trying to explain things to people that don’t get it. Just smile and eat as you do.

Some women (not all) can be competitive. I would rather be the woman that builds others up than tearing them down. A compliment from another woman is wonderful... Because it’s kind of rare for me. One of my friends confided in me that she hates how her husband checks me out. (he had an affair in the past) Its more about him than it is about me. Most men check women out and it doesn’t mean he’s going to cheat. My husband is an old fart and looks but does not touch. Honestly, I look. I hope I’m not as obvious as my husband *laughing*

This cracked me up! OMG! Agreed, we need to uplift each other big time. And seriously, these men when an attractive woman walks by, it's truly comical. "You're going to break your neck, dear". HAHAHA!

22 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

THIS is SO TRUE!

RIGHT?!! LOL

On 7/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, Healthy_life2 said:

Find a weight you feel healthy at. Does not matter what other people think. (unless your BMI is underweight) I work a ten-pound weight bounce up and down the scale over the years. It’s just how maintenance works for me. I have times I indulge within reason. When the scale moves up, I get back in weight loss mode.

Thank you for the reply. Even though I had a some weight gain, I still fit in my clothes which is a good thing. I am getting back on track in terms of getting back to the basics.

One thing I realized is that basically nothing I was told by my surgical staff/team is true. The hunger hormone disappeared for about two months post op and returned after that. For me hunger is real. In the beginning, I lived by 4 ounces religiously for about 6 months. No one told me that my sleeve capacity would increase. It's almost like I can eat a full meal now, kind of hard to explain.

Overall I am still happy and I am getting compliments from people who I haven't seen in a while which is good. No one has said I look "sickly" which I guess is a positive thing. I do have an abundance of stress in my life which I need to turn into positive energy such as upping my exercise regimen.

19 hours ago, BuzzVSG said:

Thank you for the reply. Even though I had a some weight gain, I still fit in my clothes which is a good thing. I am getting back on track in terms of getting back to the basics.

One thing I realized is that basically nothing I was told by my surgical staff/team is true. The hunger hormone disappeared for about two months post op and returned after that. For me hunger is real. In the beginning, I lived by 4 ounces religiously for about 6 months. No one told me that my sleeve capacity would increase. It's almost like I can eat a full meal now, kind of hard to explain.

Overall I am still happy and I am getting compliments from people who I haven't seen in a while which is good. No one has said I look "sickly" which I guess is a positive thing. I do have an abundance of stress in my life which I need to turn into positive energy such as upping my exercise regimen.

Hunger is real for a lot of us. The people who never experience hunger again must be very rare... I personally haven't met one yet.

When my hunger returned , I turned to salads. It's not sexy but its really hard to gain on leafy green dressing free salads because the cals are so low. I then have flexibility for shenanigans 😂

Hoping you find balance and the critics are silenced 💜

16 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

The people who never experience hunger again must be very rare... I personally haven't met one yet.💜

I rarely feel something that could be interpreted as "physical hunger in the stomach area". The signals seem to be so subtle I usually override them when being busy (as today) and find myself at 15:00 asking myself if to eat or if sitting down with a coffee for break will do it.

Sometimes I get a little bit jittery when the day was especially busy but if you'd ask me if I feel hungry I'd probably say no.

22 minutes ago, summerset said:

I rarely feel something that could be interpreted as "physical hunger in the stomach area". The signals seem to be so subtle I usually override them when being busy (as today) and find myself at 15:00 asking myself if to eat or if sitting down with a coffee for break will do it.

Sometimes I get a little bit jittery when the day was especially busy but if you'd ask me if I feel hungry I'd probably say no.

Magical !unicorn-01_300x.png.360d47db36e54cceab3bc7e3f37abbe8.png

I wonder if that what people feel is actually hunger all the time. Like, maybe feeling hungry twice a day, the rest of the time it's "wanting to eat" but thinking it's hunger? No idea.

I doubt I'm the big "no hunger" exception, lol.