Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much should I be eating calorie wise?

Post op almost a week... my surgery was March 11th. My range of calories for the day have been only 700-800 calories and today I’m at 630.

I am getting all of my Protein in but I am wondering am I eating enough?

Being on the liquid diet before I was achieving about 930 calories a day with just the Protein Shakes plus 10-50 extra calories with sugar free Jello and broth.

Any advice?

I've read two articles online. One says 600-800 calories for the first year post-surgery. The other says 900-1000. I'm staying between 600-800 because I don't want to get used to eating too much and I lose more weight at 600 calories/day than 800+ calories.

At one week post op (really for the first couple months) I was told to focus on Protein and liquids. Was not given a calorie range but I was at around 600-700 for the first month then 600-800 for months 2 & 3. Hope that helps.

Focus on Protien right now.

My doc never gave a calorie goal despite me asking.
All he said was to make absolutely sure to stay hydrated and he set my minimum Water goal at 80 ounces daily.
He also said that I should try to stay under 35-40 gm carbs daily and to try my best to get in Protein, but to not try to add in protein at the expense of hydration.

As your sleeve/pouch gets bigger, you’ll be able to get those calories in.

I kept a food journal and at my 2 week post-op showed my doc that I had only consumed 880 calories in ONE WEEK and he shrugged and asked me how I was feeling.
Told him I felt fine for someone who had just had bariatric surgery and his answer was that eventually I’d be able to hit protein goals, but that it would take time and not to sweat it if it took a few more weeks to get there.

I've wondered this, too. Looked at a lot of articles, all of which say I should be eating more than I am. (Almost 6 weeks post op but can barely get to 500 cal/day.) But I get my Protein, fluids, Vitamins, and exercise in every day. My weight loss has been steady and I feel great with plenty of energy and mental alertness. The bottom line is to listen to your body. Get the requirements in and your body will tell you when you can handle more. I know I could get more calories if I added Snacks, but I refuse to do that, because snacking is what got me in trouble in the first place and I am not going down that road again. My doctor says "3 meals and no snacks" so I am abiding by that, Truthfully, I sometimes have to divide my protein meal, because I can only handle 1 once of animal protein (fish, liver, chicken) at a time, so I will get the other half several hours later, But I don't consider that a snack.

Relax and let your body tell you how much to take in. It is very helpful to keep a daily food log and to plan for the next day, because you do want to know that you are getting all your protein in. You are in a forced Keto diet right now, where your body is breaking down fat and creating ketones for energy. It is actually a healthy place to be, metabolically. I think there is a certain amount of euphoria that goes along with ketosis, as well, which can elevate mood and motivate activity. I am enjoying it!

How many calories you should be eating (or how many meals you should be eating) is usually dependent on your age and activity level.

However, there are different protocols out there. I never had a specific calorie limit.

Work at getting your Protein in. You go too long at too low calories, your body gets it elsewhere, from your muscles. That is why Protein is so important. Your body has it's basil metabolic rate, it's going to consume an amount of energy regardless of what you eat. Your body will not magically choose only body fat to consume for energy.

The common calories are 600 for women and 800 for men with differing amounts of Protein. Typically men are told 80 grams protein, I think women are 60. Of course everyone's body will be different. You don't get enough protein over a long period of time, you'll suffer with things like energy levels and headaches. If you start working out at a more intense level, you'll want more calories so you muscle mass has a chance of growing and maintaining itself. Exercising will increase your metabolic rate, and it means the body will wants it's energy from your body stores, including readily available protein whether you provide it or it gets it from your muscles. You don't want to be in a protein deficit diet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app