Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend/family heavy??

The last time I saw my cousin, who lives out of town, who I hadn't seen in 10 years, the first words out of her mouth were, "So I see you finally got fat like the rest of us." It really hurt my feelings! My brother is obese and my mother was obese and my cousin who said the hurtful thing is obese, so yeah, it runs in my family but I'm working hard at overcoming the issues and breaking the cycle.

My Mom was overweight, and most of her family were/are overweight. My Father was overweight but not too much and most of his family were/are on the thinner side. Of my 4 siblings only 1 is not overweight but that is because their addiction is not food. It's hit and miss with heavier cousins, I would say there are more on my Mother's side though. My hubby can eat pretty much anything but as he's getting older his metabolism is slowing down, but he has lost about 10 pounds on this journey with me so far and that's all he needs to lose.

23 hours ago, BlueIGT said:

My Mom was overweight, and most of her family were/are overweight. My Father was overweight but not too much and most of his family were/are on the thinner side. Of my 4 siblings only 1 is not overweight but that is because their addiction is not food. It's hit and miss with heavier cousins, I would say there are more on my Mother's side though. My hubby can eat pretty much anything but as he's getting older his metabolism is slowing down, but he has lost about 10 pounds on this journey with me so far and that's all he needs to lose.

@BlueIGT

quite a family tree/different weights - high, low

looks like on the right road continuing to success

good luck

kathy

Im glad i found this community of people who are on the same road. Im new to everything and just started my journey. My husband seems supportive... But idk he said he thinks i can do it on my own. Sometimes i feel like he wont be as supportive as id need him too especially with eating. Anyone get over this kinda hurdle with a spouse that thinks ur not that big.? He is skinny and eats whatever. I eat half a dounut and gain 10lbs. He thinks all i have to do is work out and i can eat what i want

14 hours ago, SierraEraEra said:

Im glad i found this community of people

@SierraEraEra

Welcome to the neighborhood. We've been waiting for you to. Keep coming to the boards,

ask question, read what others say, you might have similar questions., there is also a search area.

Hear OP's advice, answers, experiences they have had. Butttt at the end of the day only

listen to your NUT - that stands for nutritionalist (msp) newbie.

i think "we" all hate it when anyone tells us we can do this on our own with exercise,

eating right, etc. etc.I think its safe to say we've all been there, done that. Tried to lose

weight most of our lives many times. Up and down. Yo yo😒

I "hate" all DH or DW that are naturally thin - can eat a whole pizza without a blink!!

my DH has always beeen obese, he's always been very supportive.

i'm sure you DH will continue to be supportive - if not, hit him over the head with frying

pan! 🤣

good luck

kathy

On 3/20/2019 at 1:33 PM, GradyCat said:

"So I see you finally got fat like the rest of us."

@GradyCat

can't get over that your cousin said that!! I would have been dumbfounded !! Some people

should think before they open their mouth. I wouldn't have known what to say.🙄

mom, brother, cousin - all heavy - you are doing a great job to break that cycle !!

keep up the good work, so they can continue to see "less and less of you" LOL

kathy

On 3/18/2019 at 11:31 PM, GreenTealael said:

Ex H and children are marvels of physical forms. New BF is fine - *maybe, maybe* slightly a little heavy

@GreenTealael

why are we talking about your ex?? !! after all, he's just your ex?🤣

children weights sound great!! Glad your BF is supportive, i'm sure your kids are too!!

congrats on your amazing weight loss.

kathy

4 hours ago, proudgrammy said:

@GradyCat

can't get over that your cousin said that!! I would have been dumbfounded !! Some people

should think before they open their mouth. I wouldn't have known what to say.🙄

mom, brother, cousin - all heavy - you are doing a great job to break that cycle !!

keep up the good work, so they can continue to see "less and less of you" LOL

kathy

Thanks lol. Ill keep the frying pan for the turkey bacon. Lol

I’m glad that my husband is slim and health-conscious because watching My 600 pound Life really highlights how important it is to have a supportive spouse! I can’t imagine if he were overweight and making bad choices. It would make things a lot harder for me

My hubs is 6’ 6”, 290 lbs, so definitely a big dude lol. My family doesn’t really come from “thin stock.” Most everyone in my family were thin as children and teenagers, but wound up overweight or obese as adults. My dad was always pretty thin, but has gained some weight in his older years. Mom has always struggled with weight. I have 2 sisters. One has yo-yo’d 50+ lbs multiple times over the last decade, but is currently thin and physically active. The other sister struggles with bulimia off and on, but is currently in remission (and hopefully stays that way). As a southern family, food is a big part of our lives. I was sleeved on 1/24/19 and it has been a huge learning curve trying to learn that everything doesn’t have to revolve around food.

Well Proud Grammy and the rest: I have happy news- I FINALLY WEIGH LESS THAN TOMKITTEN,my son! Oh yes I still am a Ample Sample of Humanity but I'm getting a little smaller every day, and having lost 80 pounds from surgery in 7 months, I find it a Tree Top High sense of 😂 joy! And I have more overweight up to MORBIDLY obese relatives than not- maybe heredity but more likely environment and farm- sized dinners. And of course every one looked at you like you had a defect if you didn't load your plate full. We ate like we needed the strength to pull a plow, tell feel asleep watching TV instead of exercising it off. But I am developing a new style, a new way of eating, and it is starting to pay off. my new line " half the woman I used to be, twice as proud as ever I dreamed. I am going to make and so will YOU!

My husband is overweight and has diabetes. He’s also 19 years older than I am. I’ve begged him to eat healthier so he’ll be around longer, but I know nagging won’t help. We did have our first rager argument in years when he insisted on having a pizza delivered last week. Overeating pizza actually put him in the ER once.

17 hours ago, proudgrammy said:

@GreenTealael

why are we talking about your ex?? !! after all, he's just your ex?🤣

children weights sound great!! Glad your BF is supportive, i'm sure your kids are too!!

congrats on your amazing weight loss.

kathy

My Ex and i share genetic material lol, children 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 and the fact that i don't have to fight with him to manage their diets properly when they in his care is a gift i will not take for granted 💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Mine is more overweight than I am, I just had the sleeve on 3/7. He’s having the DS next month!! I love that we are doing this together! 💕

On 03/18/2019 at 11:55, proudgrammy said:

@insta_adventurer

sounds like you have quite the interesting family!

you are doing great, maybe DH can try and catch up with you!☺️

take care

kathy

I am 30 lbs less than him now... he’s trying to clean up his diet now to lose some.