Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the sleeve done back in August and I am struggling really hard with food. Prior to surgery I used food as a coping mechanism to weigh down my depression. Now I am about 65 pounds down and I feel myself going back to my old habits. I always feel the urge to be eating something and when I do I usually eat until I feel sick because I think I’m not going to be able to eat again. Is their anyone else that feels like this? I am seriously considering using my EAP at work to seek counseling for food addiction. I am so stressed out that I am screwing up my progress and will stretch my stomach back out.

So what is stopping you from seeking the counseling through work if you feel you need it? Is it anonymous or are you having a fear of being identified?

If you have problems with depression you don’t want to medicate with food, seek counsel or treatment through psychological therapy or medication if necessary.

Many of us are or have struggled with the same issues regarding food or we wouldn’t have needed surgery.

Best wishes.

If you have access to counseling, by all means, take advantage of it. If we had a "normal" relationship with food, we never would have gotten obese. The surgery is just a small part of the success. It's much more important to get your head in the game. Good luck!

Yes, definitely talk to a counselor. It'll help. It's hard dealing with multiple things at once, I have depression too and am fighting not using food as comfort food or a crutch while losing weight.

Definitely seek counseling. They can try to help you identify why you feel like you have to eat until you're sick and why you use food to cope. They can probably also help you come up with different things to help you cope instead of food.

On 03/13/2019 at 23:47, Baseballmom24 said:

I had the sleeve done back in August and I am struggling really hard with food. Prior to surgery I used food as a coping mechanism to weigh down my depression. Now I am about 65 pounds down and I feel myself going back to my old habits. I always feel the urge to be eating something and when I do I usually eat until I feel sick because I think I’m not going to be able to eat again. Is their anyone else that feels like this? I am seriously considering using my EAP at work to seek counseling for food addiction. I am so stressed out that I am screwing up my progress and will stretch my stomach back out.

I give you a lot of credit for catching it now and I agree, if you have counseling available it is wise to access it. This is the first time I’ve had to deal with the addict side of my food issues. Not fun but definitely an eye opener.

9 hours ago, Baseballmom24 said:

Treat your depression and absolutely get counseling! I do both! The mind is a tricky b***h!

Thank you! It’s hard admitting you have a problem but I guess that is the first step! My employer does offer 3 free counseling sessions so I am going to start there. I never anticipated that life after gastric surgery would be this hard, it is a daily struggle to make sure I choose the right things to eat.

30 minutes ago, Baseballmom24 said:

Thank you! It’s hard admitting you have a problem but I guess that is the first step! My employer does offer 3 free counseling sessions so I am going to start there. I never anticipated that life after gastric surgery would be this hard, it is a daily struggle to make sure I choose the right things to eat.

Yay!! I’m so happy for you! And ikr??!! Even when I thought I had done all the prep work it’s a lot different on this side when I literally can’t eat a bag of m&ms to deal with _________ ( fill in the blank). Now I get it when vets say the surgery is the easy part. They sure aren’t kidding! Best of luck and keep us posted 👍🏻

11 hours ago, Baseballmom24 said:

Totally use all the resources at your disposal

Good luck. 💜 You can do this 👑

I'm sorry for your struggle, but know there IS hope! Never give up hon!

Baseball Mom,

I had the sleeve surgery in June of 2018 & even before it, I wondered why I thought this would work because food was always my drug of choice in battling depression & anxiety. And, of course, 40 pounds lost later, I am right back to my old bad habits. I don’t eat til it hurts but I graze which is easy to do once you figure out you just have to wait until you’re not full.

So, I finally took some advice from people on this site as well as the nurse practitioner who made me go for another psych eval because I was “sabotaging” myself. And I’m so glad I did!

First of all, I don’t know if you’re taking meds but I found out the ones I take cause increased appetite & cravings for carbs! And the combination I take was actually making me functionally depressed but “flatlined ”. No enthusiasm, no get up & go! I just didn’t care! But in my head & heart I really do!

So first, talk to a psychiatrist- not your primary care doctor! You need a psychiatrist to evaluate & monitor meds.

Then I learned that I don’t have a “weight problem” as I’ve been told all my life - I have an eating disorder! I thought eating disorders were just bulemia or anorexia. I’m a compulsive over eater! And now I have started going to a counselor who specializes in eating disorders, my meds are monitored by a psychiatrist, & I’m attending Oveteaters Anonymous.

I was told before surgery that the sleeve was just a tool & I would still have to work at loosing but I figured that I hated vomiting so much, I would never mess this up! Well, once I realized I could eat normal food again, I started right back into my previous bad habits! So now I know, you have to deal with the WHYS first! Why do I eat the way I do? Why am I sabotaging myself? And the only answer to that is therapy! You really should get help, it’s the only answer.

Good luck & know I’m praying for you! I’ll keep you posted. Contact me anytime!

Donna

On 3/14/2019 at 11:13 PM, churchgirl said:

Baseball Mom,

I had the sleeve surgery in June of 2018 & even before it, I wondered why I thought this would work because food was always my drug of choice in battling depression & anxiety. And, of course, 40 pounds lost later, I am right back to my old bad habits. I don’t eat til it hurts but I graze which is easy to do once you figure out you just have to wait until you’re not full.

So, I finally took some advice from people on this site as well as the nurse practitioner who made me go for another psych eval because I was “sabotaging” myself. And I’m so glad I did!

First of all, I don’t know if you’re taking meds but I found out the ones I take cause increased appetite & cravings for carbs! And the combination I take was actually making me functionally depressed but “flatlined ”. No enthusiasm, no get up & go! I just didn’t care! But in my head & heart I really do!

So first, talk to a psychiatrist- not your primary care doctor! You need a psychiatrist to evaluate & monitor meds.

Then I learned that I don’t have a “weight problem” as I’ve been told all my life - I have an eating disorder! I thought eating disorders were just bulemia or anorexia. I’m a compulsive over eater! And now I have started going to a counselor who specializes in eating disorders, my meds are monitored by a psychiatrist, & I’m attending Oveteaters Anonymous.

I was told before surgery that the sleeve was just a tool & I would still have to work at loosing but I figured that I hated vomiting so much, I would never mess this up! Well, once I realized I could eat normal food again, I started right back into my previous bad habits! So now I know, you have to deal with the WHYS first! Why do I eat the way I do? Why am I sabotaging myself? And the only answer to that is therapy! You really should get help, it’s the only answer.

Good luck & know I’m praying for you! I’ll keep you posted. Contact me anytime!

Donna

Churchgirl, Thank you for your honesty. Baseball Mom, I feel you pain. On some level we are all dealing with some sore of messed up **** in our life and all deal with it the wrong way. With me it is with food. When I'm stressed out or angry I turn to food for comfort. So I'm learning to change that habit also. You are not alone.