Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks until revision, and not feeling it....

I'm scheduled for Sleeve to Bypass revision in two weeks due to GERD, and I don't feel peace about the surgery, nor I'm I feeling gung-ho about starting the liver shrink on Thursday, or going through all the post-op food steps and watching every single thing I put in my mouth.....I'm 5 years post Sleeve and I'm at goal weight. I just don't think I want this surgery. With my sleeve I don't have to take a steady stream of Vitamins nor do I have to think of maybe never eating Ice cream again due to dumping...

I also don't want the big bill from my medical deductible that the surgery will leave me paying.....I probably sound like a big baby....Sigh....the thought of surgery again is just not appealing to me right now....but Dr. says I can't keep taking the GERD meds, as they can cause harm to my kidneys....What's a girl to do?

I guess I'm just venting....

I'm sorry. I think your feelings toward the surgery are totally understandable. I had the same reservations as you do about GB while I was 150+ pounds overweight. I can't imagine I'd be very motivated or excited about the procedure if I was already at goal weight. Ultimately, you have autonomy over your body and the procedures you undergo. Did your surgeon go over all of the reasons that the conversion is prudent? Do you have esophagitis, are you at risk for Barrett's esophagus or worse? I would gather as many facts as possible so you can make an informed decision. Overall, I don't think a surgeon would recommend further abdominal trauma if it wasn't medically necessary but the decision is yours and yours alone. Good luck.

Yes my GERD is pretty severe, on the test she gave me to measure my acid I was a 95, you only have to be a 14 in order for it to be medically necessary...I know I really need to have it, before real damage is done, but boy I just don't want too...I'm sure in a day or two I'll get myself together and start the darn liver shrink....Thanks for "listening".

Geeze. So sorry you are going through this. Just know from people I see who've converted, the relief they feel from the acid is pretty immediate. Like immediately after surgery. Try to glom onto that belief and just work it sistah! You CAN handle this. And it will pass quickly!!!!

I can understand all that. Having to have surgery is never fun, having to pay for the surgery is even less fun.

Being at goal would make you even more reluctant as you and your sleeve are obviously a great team and you don’t want to mess that up.

But ultimately your health is paramount and it does sound as though this surgery is a medical necessity.

I am with the others in that I don’t understand why you need to do the liver sharing diet. It sounds as though your surgeons office has a 1 size fits all approach instead of looking properly at each individual. I was overweight when I had my revision from band to bypass and I was only required to stick with clean eating

Taking Vitamins is not really an issue. I take one in the morning and one at night and that really isn’t a biggie.

Also remember that not everyone dumps and if you do there are alternatives. I haven’t tried normal icecream since my surgery but I do eat Halo top and that is yummy. If I go out for dinner I will have a couple of mouthfuls of hubby’s dessert and that satisfies me and doesn’t cause an issue.

I'm scheduled for Sleeve to Bypass revision in two weeks due to GERD, and I don't feel peace about the surgery, nor I'm I feeling gung-ho about starting the liver shrink on Thursday, or going through all the post-op food steps and watching every single thing I put in my mouth.....I'm 5 years post Sleeve and I'm at goal weight. I just don't think I want this surgery. With my sleeve I don't have to take a steady stream of Vitamins nor do I have to think of maybe never eating Ice cream again due to dumping...
I also don't want the big bill from my medical deductible that the surgery will leave me paying.....I probably sound like a big baby....Sigh....the thought of surgery again is just not appealing to me right now....but Dr. says I can't keep taking the GERD meds, as they can cause harm to my kidneys....What's a girl to do?
I guess I'm just venting....
I don't understand getting the revision when you're at goal weight. I understand your concerns. My Dr. Does the Linx Procedure for GERD, have you looked into that yet?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Ice cream. I don't care for a lot of sf products, but they have a lot of great ones and cold stone has their sinless and is really good! Good luck with your surgery!

2 hours ago, Colchabay said:

I don't understand getting the revision when you're at goal weight. I understand your concerns. My Dr. Does the Linx Procedure for GERD, have you looked into that yet?

Please tell me more what is Linx procedure?

For things I don't want to do, I find a good heaping of denial really helps. Just go through the motions, even if you don't want to do it or believe in it.

(Obviously if you REALLY don't want to do it then that is a decision you can make)

1 hour ago, froufrou said:

For things I don't want to do, I find a good heaping of denial really helps. Just go through the motions, even if you don't want to do it or believe in it.

(Obviously if you REALLY don't want to do it then that is a decision you can make)

De-Nile..:ain’t just a river in Egypt!! 😄🤣

Please tell me more what is Linx procedure?
Google it. I think you'll learn more about it than what I know as I don't know much about it. My Dr. is Dr. Peterson from Panhandle Weight Loss Center.

My husband had his RNY almost 10 months ago and had GERD prior to his surgery. He still takes Prilosec even after losing more than 150 lbs and surpassing his goal weight in that time. I can understand your hesitation and would definitely ask your surgeon how certain he/she can be about coming off the meds after surgery.