Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There are so many things I'm finding that I can't eat, usually bc it comes back up within minutes. However, grapefruit I can eat plenty of. Have to have it daily. I take a Multivitamin that was recommended by my Dr. , but I'm wondering if this craving for grapefruit indicates some kind of shortcoming in my Vitamins. I'm also worried that too much grapefruit might not be a good thing for me. This isn't sweetened grapefruit, just all natural. Aside from the multivitamin, I'm not on any other meds so there's no chance of a drug interaction/contraindication bc of the grapefruit. I can eat about 4 things- Cereal, grapefruit, Soup and chicken.

Well grapefruit is a diuretic, if you don't mind that, there are a few things you shouldn't eat with grapefruit, check with WebMD and Drugs.com on your search engine, I usually use Duck Duck Go, Firefox or the ever- present Uncle Google. Like DDG because it can be Cleared with a poof at the end, not retained forever in the memory like Google does.

I don't think you shouldn't eat grapefruit, but I do think you need to focus on eating more than grapefruit, simply because it is so low calorie. Your focus needs to be getting your Protein it. I hope you are able to supplement with Protein Drinks until you can tolerate more foods.

13 hours ago, D'Angouleme said:

There are so many things I'm finding that I can't eat, usually bc it comes back up within minutes. However, grapefruit I can eat plenty of. Have to have it daily. I take a Multivitamin that was recommended by my Dr. , but I'm wondering if this craving for grapefruit indicates some kind of shortcoming in my Vitamins. I'm also worried that too much grapefruit might not be a good thing for me. This isn't sweetened grapefruit, just all natural. Aside from the multivitamin, I'm not on any other meds so there's no chance of a drug interaction/contraindication bc of the grapefruit. I can eat about 4 things- Cereal, grapefruit, Soup and chicken.

I’m assuming you are new out from surgery. What food stage are you in?

you may want to call your surgeons office If your food is coming back up and you are concerned about not absorbing your Vitamins. You may have some medical issues that need to be addressed.

You are also worried about what foods are good for you. What does your plan say?

I know I'm not getting anywhere near my Protein goal. Couldn't eat/finish the single egg I made this morning. I'm on the full food stage at this point. I think so much of my problem is that a lot of things "taste' different now. Can't touch cottage cheese, used to love it. eggs, used to love eggs, now it's a challenge to get one down and keep it there. So my protein comes from the meats I can get to stay down. Mostly chicken. A bite of tuna here and there, a piece of fish on rare occasions and once in a while some hamburger, but very little. Everything tastes discusting. Everything. Except the grapefruit. Surgery was Dec 19th and I have lost about 40-45 lbs. I don't weigh every day. Water is a challenge due to work restrictions. I get a couple good sips before I leave the locker room, a couple during a quick potty break but that's about it. You're not supposed to eat and drink at the same time, so lunch is usually dry. I'd have to do the shakes before work, don't want to do it after bc then I'd be going to bed within a half hour with all of that in the tummy. I know I need to add some variety to my diet, but it's a slow process as I test each new addition to see if it will be tolerated. As far as going back to my Dr., it won't be until June before they'll see me again. Damn little support from their office. A 2 week post op visit, a 6 month post op visit and a year post op visit then maybe yearly. In between, nada. I cannot make the monthly "support classes" bc they are at night when I work. So I have this forum and while 99% of the feedback has been very supportive and positive I have had (in the past on previous posts) a couple of replies that were sharp and criticizing as if I was a complete idiot. What a shame too because as you do research, you can see that even the DOCTORS and NURSES disagree about many things surrounding the weight loss surgery. Just because you have had something work or not work for you doesn't mean it is the same for everyone and so I am truly on my own in this adventure and of course learning some things the hard way. I appreciate being able to touch base on this forum and see if I'm still in bounds or not. I am thankful for everyone that continues to offer support and encouragement, kind and lifting words as I bump along and hit the walls from time to time.

8 minutes ago, D'Angouleme said:

Everything tastes discusting. Everything. Except the grapefruit

Take what’s useful and supportive and ignore the rest. Everyone has different instructions.

Can you call your Dr for concerns? I also had the monthly to yearly visits. But I could call them with questions.

You are right, It’s a slow process at this point. Honestly, I had a hard time with food a t first. It takes time and your restriction will become less as you progress out from surgery. Taste does change and it’s not necessarily a bad thing. Give it time. Its finding what you can tolerate. It will get better.

Keep pressing on. Food as fuel not so much taste. Find things for on the run at work.

You got this!