Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is ibuprofen a no no?

On 3/22/2019 at 4:46 PM, mousecat88 said:

I have arthritis and was prescribed Diclofenac Topical. It is an NSAID but my surgeon said it was fine and won't cause ulcers since it is topical. I've been using it for the last 2 months and it actually works, to my surprise. Prescription only. Just put some on my ankle and knee just now, actually. Tylenol does absolutely nothing and I hurt so bad after working out, I wouldn't be able to exercise with the

I have arthritis in many parts of my body that a topical would be great for! Thank you for the diclofenac topical suggestions. Another question I have is related to my 2 knee replacements. I dont think I need revisions, idk but sometimes they hurt really bad like when basic shopping kills me. And, I dont know if the pain can be arthritis. Does anyone have any experience with this type of pain in a TKR? Would a topical help?

On 3/10/2019 at 6:01 PM, Boldilocks said:

One day post-op my surgeon refused to prescribe me anything for pain - but told me I could alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen. I said that I thought we weren't supposed to take ibuprofen - and he told me I could take ibuprofen if he said I could.

One. Day. Post-op.

🙄

You should let EVERYONE know who your surgeon is so NO ONE goes to him! That's negligence!

And the answer to you @ Polly is yes, topical are a Friend to You, sometimes the only Easy option. And I know what I advise - Right knee replaced December 2014, Left knee- February 7 2017, have had joint in Right thumb removed October 2017, right rotator cuff April 2019, right now 2 weeks past. ganglion cyst removal, "ortho" promises when everything settles down I get more than simple rotator cuff repair on Left shoulder, I get a total reverse shoulder replacement, due to arthritic degeneration as well as rrotato cuff. Actually had it lock/ freeze in place a couple weeks ago. And right now ahead sooner? A fast growing lipoma( fatty tumor) removal on September 24th, and about 10 days later My Left cararact is removed, That One set up 11 weeks ago, Opthamologist booking THAT FAR AHEAD- but I AM in Wonderful shape for the shape I'm in, or so My Medical grouping says- this year I have made so many Surgeons wallets fatter somebody. ought buy Me a Big Basket of🍏🍊🍋🍌🍑🍓🍈🍇🍒🍐 fruit for Christmas! Fully expect to be anesthetized and to awaken with Magic Marker and autographs all over my Now Smaller Body, everybody staking a Claim to what they want to slice and dice. I'm just a Giant Dart Board, aren't I? So Norco and Tramadol, put them in a Pea Dispenser, I'm sure SOMETHING GOT TO BE HURTING pretty soon. When everybody gets me repaired gonna fly with the Eagles! Or maybe I'll just listen to their music, always thought Don Henley sounded FINE!

So I suffer from horrible Migraines and my surgeon said that the very occasional prescription NSAID (a few times a year) for a Migraine that won’t quit is fine. Let me explain though, these are migraines that require hospitalization so in those times, I have to weigh the possibility of an ulcer against the quality of life during the migraine. I have done it a few times, I don’t recommend it, but you have to make your own choice

I take Tramadol for degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my back.

Tylenol with codeine but only for rare/extreme pain. For everyday aches and pains I tough it out or take regular Tylenol.

I'm really really late for this party

Don't Do It!

Reason?

ULCERS

Ibuprofen & naproxen are like magic for me but I used them only when absolutely necessary according to me. I never had any discomfort what so ever.

After a routine colonoscopy I was given a surprise endoscopy. ULCERS! Minor enough to be treated with otc meds but who knows what could have happened. The Dr checked only because she knew I had wls.

As I said before, I had no clue anything was wrong. Long term ulcers can lead to cancers.

Talk to your doctor about alternatives. Please do not take Ibuprofen without medical advice and monitoring.

i use to use naproxen a few times a week prior to bariatric surgery .. now i pick and choose when i really need it after my sleeve surgery.. i only have used it 2 or 3 times in a year...

Have you tried Volataren cream for the arthritis? I use it and take Tylenol.