Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questioning the surgery...

I am scheduled to have VSG on April 9th. I have been second guessing my decision. My BMI is just over 35 and I am about 75 lbs overweight. I have had multiple comments from people saying "you aren't even that heavy, will they do it?" or "you aren't 100 lbs overweight, why would you do it?" I have high cholesterol, but am not on meds for it. My biggest issue is I have OA of my hip. It makes it extremely difficult to exercise because it hurts so bad. Since I am 44, no one wants to touch my hip until I am closer to 60. I know the weight has made it worse because I didn't have all the pain until I got pregnant with my son 3 years ago.

I am now second guessing the surgery again because I am letting people's judgemental tones and comments get to me.

I want to have this done to help me get started on my weight loss journey so I can be healthier for myself and my children.

Thanks for listening... Am I doing the right or wrong thing with the surgery????

I want to have this done to help me get started on my weight loss journey so I can be healthier for myself and my children
I don’t think people necessarily mean to criticize. In their own minds they might actually mean it as a compliment by saying you don’t need the surgery. I waited until I was 56. I WISH I had done this 10 years ago.
Good luck with your decision and know we all have those second guessing moments wondering if we’re doing the right thing. Or at least I did.

I have lost 30 lbs already. The first week was very hard, but I wouldn't take it back. I'm on my way to a healthier life. Btw I'm 53 and wish I did it 20 years ago. Best of luck with your decision!

Thank you both for your kind words. I know I need to do what feels right to me. I hate that I let what other people think/say play a part in my life.

Never apologize to the people who so misunderstand you for today is your day and you make the decisions for you now. Go forward brave and strong. You can do it!

You have to decide for yourself and do this for yourself. Do you really want to be healthier? Do you want to be more active? Do you want to stave off diseases that come with obesity? Stick to your decision.

7 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

You have to decide for yourself and do this for yourself. Do you really want to be healthier? Do you want to be more active? Do you want to stave off diseases that come with obesity? Stick to your decision.

I am and I do. Thank you!

Would you let other people influence your decision on how to treat a complicated medical problem such as cancer or renal disease without a medical degree? No?

Obesity is a disease that is complex to treat and a bystanders opinion is of little value when it comes to your health. You need to decide what’s best for you.

On 03/10/2019 at 08:49, KimTriesRNY said:

Would you let other people influence your decision on how to treat a complicated medical problem such as cancer or renal disease without a medical degree? No?

Obesity is a disease that is complex to treat and a bystanders opinion is of little value when it comes to your health. You need to decide what’s best for you.

I am having the surgery. I have talked about it extensively with my husband and I want to be around for my kiddos.

And they want and need, although kids seldom verbalize it, their Mom, healthier and lighter in weight, actually hip is easier to heal from than knee replacement and I have had 2 of them. But God Bless you, I do routinely pray for all of us on Bariatric Pal, that we have what we need, when we need it and that every surgery is successful and smooth. And those who have not walked the walk, have no room to criticize, nobody knows what it is like 👀unless 🙎they have experienced it. It is not and never will be the EASY way Out, but it rewards in a lot of good ways. 😝

On 03/10/2019 at 12:34, Frustr8 said:

And they want and need, although kids seldom verbalize it, their Mom, healthier and lighter in weight, actually hip is easier to heal from than knee replacement and I have had 2 of them. But God Bless you, I do routinely pray for all of us on Bariatric Pal, that we have what we need, when we need it and that every surgery is successful and smooth. And those who have not walked the walk, have no room to criticize, nobody knows what it is like 👀unless 🙎they have experienced it. It is not and never will be the EASY way Out, but it rewards in a lot of good ways. 😝
Totally agree! My kids are loving their new mom 😁 I have more energy, fewer headaches, I laugh more, I can keep up with them (well, sort of...no one has energy like little boys)

18 minutes ago, NYJenn said:

Totally agree! My kids are loving their new mom 😁 I have more energy, fewer headaches, I laugh more, I can keep up with them (well, sort of...no one has energy like little boys)

I agree with you there! My son is almost 3 and he just wears me out!!!! :)

I know what you mean. I'm on the fence as I have 40 to LOSE. Just not working with weight watchers. ( for the bazillion time) BMI is 31. I cancelled my sleeve surgery last month but with all these wonderful comments. I'm going for it . Shooting for a May VSG in May

Sent from my SM-J727V using BariatricPal mobile app

I understand both issues. I have only told people that I know would be supportive. My husband. The others, well it’s NOTB (none of their business).

As far as the hip surgery goes. I had total knee replacement at 55. Many said I was very young for the surgery as well. My position was: My doc wanted me to lose weight. Now just how the heck will that happen when I can’t even walk! I told the doctor it is a lifestyle issue. He agreed and that is how we approached it. Also, if you have insurance, call them. The lady I talked to pushed my authorization through as soon as the doc submitted the forms. Don’t let them put you off! I know the crippling, torturous pain of bone on bone, grinding.

What really chapped my hide was when they told me walking would be the best thing for my knee! REALLY! OA, crippling pain with movement making it worse. Only a Sadist would recommend that!

Good luck and go after them! Don’t take no for an answer.

11 minutes ago, ypease said:

I understand both issues. I have only told people that I know would be supportive. My husband. The others, well it’s NOTB (none of their business).

As far as the hip surgery goes. I had total knee replacement at 55. Many said I was very young for the surgery as well. My position was: My doc wanted me to lose weight. Now just how the heck will that happen when I can’t even walk! I told the doctor it is a lifestyle issue. He agreed and that is how we approached it. Also, if you have insurance, call them. The lady I talked to pushed my authorization through as soon as the doc submitted the forms. Don’t let them put you off! I know the crippling, torturous pain of bone on bone, grinding.

What really chapped my hide was when they told me walking would be the best thing for my knee! REALLY! OA, crippling pain with movement making it worse. Only a Sadist would recommend that!

Good luck and go after them! Don’t take no for an answer.

Thank you for the input. I actually did have the surgery on 4/9. I have my first follow up today. I'm feeling pretty good, just a bit tired. I think that may be from the lack of nutrition. I'm getting my Protein and Water in so I feel like I am doing pretty well. I will see how the weight loss goes and then tackle my hip.

Have a great day!