Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all

I am on Tier 4 of my Gastric Bypass journey and now waiting for the op, however I have heard some really disturbing stories about losing your hair after surgery. Can any one tell me if they have suffered from this? And if so is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening?

I am 50 and work in a job where I am staff and client facing so would like to know if these stories that I have heard are true and also whether it happens with the sleeve/bypass etc.

Many thanks

My wife and I had sleeve surgery in 2013. She has experienced a Hair loss and thinning of her hair after surgery. I haven’t had a loss of hair but, I can tell it is thinner. We are both in our late 60’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a lot of thinning especially at my temples and hairline. My hair is very thick and no one seemed to notice but me. The only time anyone said anything was a few months ago I was at work and all my baby hairs were wildly flying about everywhere...

The amount you lose will vary and how noticeable it is depends on how much hair you start with. Mine is growing back now I am fifteen months out, so it is temporary for most of us.

Losing a bit of hair, loose skin and all, I would not change my decision.

Thank you for this info

Did the hair grow back or it just fell out and became thinner over time?

And how severe was the Hair loss.

Sorry for so many questions but I am a hairdresser and this would not be a great advert

Many thanks

Hair loss after ANY surgery is common and even more common when your surgery affects your nutrition.

I strongly encourage you to research tellogen effluvium. https://www.healthline.com/health/telogen-effluvium

It happens, but it's usually temporary.

I had Hair loss. And I did everything I could to prevent it. Biotin, high Protein diet, an expensive Shampoo and conditioner (Organic Fight Fall Out Plus, Niacin & Caffeine) . It still happened, but its not near as bad as other people's Ive seen. I did cut it short and resist washing it too often, using dry shampoo. It would fall out the most when I was washing it.

Another thing though, I read an article about Phytic acid. Its a unique natural substance found in plant seeds. It impairs the absorption of Iron, zinc, and Calcium and may promote mineral deficiencies. So I stopped eating plant based foods when I would take my mulitvitamin so it wouldn't interfere. Thats when my hair loss slowed. It could be a coincidence, but I thought I would share anyway.

Hi research Telogen Effluvium / causes / treatments. Being a hairdresser you have a unique opportunity to combine your knowledge and practice to help others once you get an understanding of the mechanisms behind this specific type of hairloss.

8 hours ago, MinnieSD said:

Hi all

I am on Tier 4 of my Gastric Bypass journey and now waiting for the op, however I have heard some really disturbing stories about losing your hair after surgery. Can any one tell me if they have suffered from this? And if so is there anything that I can do to stop this from happening?

I am 50 and work in a job where I am staff and client facing so would like to know if these stories that I have heard are true and also whether it happens with the sleeve/bypass etc.

Many thanks

Yes, I lost a toooon of hair. It came out all day every day in handfuls, I don't know how I had any left. Luckily, I had a lot to begin with, but it really freaked me out. I had the sleeve surgery on May 2 2018, and my hair started falling out around month 3 and started growing back around month 5. Now I have a lot of baby hairs. Its just part of the process, and its freaky, but Im glad to say it will grow back!

I had bypass in August. Started losing hair late Nov. Lost really bad for a month. Now growing back with little half inch tufts lol

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

Hi all

Many thanks

I had my sleeve surgery on 9/25/18 and I have lost a ridiculous amount of hair...my beautician, who doesn't know I had the surgery said it seems like my hair has suffered some kind of trauma...she said the change in my hair is extreme...sigh, we just cut off a bunch, which seems to make it seem a little more healthy, but it's very thin and it makes me super sad...I have been taking Biotin before and after surgery, using rogaine now too....everything I read makes it seem temporary, but it doesn't seem temporary when you see the hair disappearing....

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

I am almost 8 months out of bypass surgery. My hair thinned out 3-6 months after my surgery. I use Biotin and collagen Shampoo and conditioner and also use castor and jojoba oils. It is helping to grow back my hair. I just put a couple drops of each oil in the shampoo, shake it, and massage it into my scalp. It's natural, so it doesn't make me feel scared using it.

my Cosmotologist Shelia did confirm yesterday my hair is thinning a little but,I think I am doing well for 6 months. Besides I am a thin -haired redhead in the first place, doesn't it just figure though, my fingers , wrists and now my hair are the only things naturally thin about ME. Everything else is bulky, flabby or needs serious costuming help! 😧

Im a little over 5 months out, and I started losing hair around the 3 month mark - alot. I had thin hair to begin with and I’ve lost so much I don’t know how I have any left. It feels like its slowing down a little bit now but the difference is noticable.